filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

Haven't read the thread yet, but I wanna talk about the  2 big surprises of the night:

-Colman upsetting Close has to be the highlight. Close is a legend yada yada but the Wife is a terrible excuse of a movie. Doesn't mean we are happy she lost, only that a more worthy performance won. Also I saw some Sasha Stone tweets this morning about Colman not deserving it because of category fraud and I have to call bullshit on that. I thought category fraud is a big deal when someone frauds a leading performance into supporting and has an unfair  advantage against people that only had 20-30 minutes of screentime to make their character. But if you fraud yourself into lead actor/actress and win despite all the others being true leads of their movie more power to you. How many people have pulled that off besides the famous 2 (Brando, Hopkins)? Not many. The other way around happens all the time because it's way easier.

-Of course the other one is Green Book. I don't hate the movie, it's mostly fine but I lol'ed when I read that it won. Of course the one movie that could withstand all the thinkpiece backlash that sank so many movies in the social media era will be something that feels like it was shot in the 80s. Again, the movie is fine, but it's about to become the biggest punching bag in film discourse for years to come, Crash is finally off the hook. It's not exactly fair but that's the way it goes.

Also Cuaron has 5 oscars if you include the foreign award. FIVE. Maybe the Academy should cool it off a bit with a Three Amigos love. 

• Like 1

I can't even get worked up about Green Book winning because the movie inspires so little passion in me and also because I was semi-expecting it this whole time, especially after it won PGA. Main takeaway from its whole awards season run is that Viggo (despite some of the stuff he said on the press tour for the movie) and Mahershala are quite beloved in the industry since the whole movie is basically the two of them. Only a matter of time until the former finally has his Oscar moment.

I got my wishes. BP Costume and Score were big passion of mine since Feb 2018 so it feels good to be vindicated. Picture win would have been sweeter but I understand that nomination itself is a win for capekino so that's that. The genre made it in finally. Also, Spiderverse won and Lord&Miller got vindicated after terrible treatment by LF.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I'm the only one I know who predicted Green Book would win Best Picture and I couldn't be more disappointed that it actually happened.

We have a big Oscar contest here organized by the largest theater chain of the country. Whoever got the most correct, will win grand prize of 3 months supply of movie vouches.

I had Blackkklansman in my ballot initially but changed to Roma later, the day before the contest closed, I switched my ballot again to Green Book. Thanks for that switch, I switched my screenplay from The favourite to GB too for the win.

I've  ending up getting 16/20 correct, improve from last year. And this is the first year since Birdman, I have Best picture prediction correct!    

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

We have a big Oscar contest here organized by the largest theater chain of the country. Whoever got the most correct, will win grand prize of 3 months supply of movie vouches.

I had Blackkklansman in my ballot initially but changed to Roma later, the day before the contest closed, I switched my ballot again to Green Book. Thanks for that switch, I switched my screenplay from The favourite to GB too for the win.

I've  ending up getting 16/20 correct, improve from last year. And this is the first year since Birdman, I have Best picture prediction correct!    

So you won movie tickets for 3 months? 

9 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

So you won movie tickets for 3 months? 

The result hasn't out. They will put the qualified participant into another pool, and from there, they picked the chosen one. 5 winner with 3months supply, 15 winner with 1month and 30 for 2 weeks. 

I won 2 weeks prize in the year when Moonlight won, i got 13/20 that year(shorts were excluded). With the code given, i have the chance to see one free movie for 2 person in two separate week. I hope I can get 3 months prize! and my Endgame ticket in April will be free!

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

After a look at social media I feel like Green Book is one of the favourite winners of last years. Definetely more loved than the last two.

Um, what? Green Book is despised, especially on Black Twitter. Not only that but The Los Angeles Times has published an article denouncing the film as the worst winner since Crash.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-oscars-green-book-worst-best-picture-winner-20190224-story.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The result hasn't out. They will put the qualified participant into another pool, and from there, they picked the chosen one. 5 winner with 3months supply, 15 winner with 1month and 30 for 2 weeks. 

I won 2 weeks prize in the year when Moonlight won, i got 13/20 that year(shorts were excluded). With the code given, i have the chance to see one free movie for 2 person in two separate week. I hope I can get 3 months prize! and my Endgame ticket in April will be free!

I'm rooting for you, go get that prize! 🙏

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I do usually get Best Picture right and I was really gonna go with Roma until I realised that my favorite BP nominee hasn't actually won since Schindler's List and no foreign language or streaming movie has ever won, so I ultimately went with Green Book and ended up with 17/24, which is the worst I've ever done in the 8 or so years I've done this (20/24 last year). I just wish I had realised that Green Book would have to win Original Screenplay as well if it was gonna win Picture and swapped The Favourite out lol. There are also multiple categories I bet money on but didn't actually predict in my ballot that ended up winning (ended up with $247 and a movie ticket in total which I'm a-okay with).

Edited by Lucas

4 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Lolwut? Stop it with this nonsense.

I know, I'm in a minority. But I did find that aspect was pretty underwhelming given how much people went on about it. I look forward to the sequel exploring it further.

Edited by Hatebox

Apart from Best Pic, have read the online world is disappointed about Original Screenplay going to GB and not The Favourite. Any views on that from those who have watched both the films?

Edited by a2k

Just now, a2k said:

Apart from Best Pic, have read the online world is disappointed about Original Screenplay going to GB and not The Favourite. Any views on that from those who have watched both the films?

sure. green book screenplay is garbage. the favourite's is not. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, a2k said:

The Favourite is easily the better written screenplay, there's just nothing that stands out in Green Book that would make it deserving of a win.

• Like 1