Eric Duncan

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Just now, reddevil19 said:

Nolan indirectly supporting the aviation industry, not just cinema. Give the man a knighthood.

lmao. IMO the only reason traveling to another state just to see a movie would ever be considered a must is if it was an all-expenses-paid trip that included in-person sightings of the stars. Otherwise, no way, just wait for streaming at that point.

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

He owes them after all the planes he's crashed

Well, again - if he crashes them, they build more. I believe we have now concluded Nolan is vital to cinema and aviation.

To this, I add the manufacturing of french horns, bassoons and vests.

• Astonished 1

I will add one more thing. Assuming Nolan doesn't want to direct someone else's script - I believe his next should be an adaptation of sorts. Yes, yes, we celebrate him for being the champion of non-franchise cinema. However, I think Tenet signals the potential of him getting lost in the same couple of ideas and themes, with everything sacrificed to that, including character. I think the next one should be smaller and have characters with some substance to them (which I can't see him doing in an original script atm). Give me something in the spirit of The Prestige, please.

If not that... gimme a huge ancient period historical epic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I will add one more thing. Assuming Nolan doesn't want to direct someone else's script - I believe his next should be an adaptation of sorts. Yes, yes, we celebrate him for being the champion of non-franchise cinema. However, I think Tenet signals the potential of him getting lost in the same couple of ideas and themes, with everything sacrificed to that, including character. I think the next one should be smaller and have characters with some substance to them (which I can't see him doing in an original script atm). Give me something in the spirit of The Prestige, please.

If not that... gimme a huge ancient period historical epic.

I'd love to see Nolan do a gangster film or a horror film although a historical epic would be great as they're just not done anymore.

If Warner Bros wants a moneymaker from Nolan's next film, they should give him a limitless budget but on the condition that Dwayne Johnson is cast in the lead role. 

Edited by Jonwo

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

If Warner Bros wants a moneymaker from Nolan's next film, they should give him a limitless budget but on the condition that Dwayne Johnson is cast in the lead role. 

Why Dwayne Johnson? He can't act and his box office pull is spotty. Tom Cruise would make a lot more sense, especially with the help his video seems to have given in terms of advertising this film

• Like 1

i think he's just too bought in on his own reputation as the big spectacle guy. especially with everything that's going on in the industry he's gonna keep making shit with scale that justifies his "you gotta see it in the cinemas" spiel. i don't think smaller is likely but we'll see. his last two movies totally lacking any real character stuff is worrying. not really an issue with dunkirk, in this a little worse but not a film ruiner. it's gonna be a downward trend if it keeps happening.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think he's just too bought in on his own reputation as the big spectacle guy. especially with everything that's going on in the industry he's gonna keep making shit with scale that justifies his "you gotta see it in the cinemas" spiel. i don't think smaller is likely but we'll see. his last two movies totally lacking any real character stuff is worrying. not really an issue with dunkirk, in this a little worse but not a film ruiner. it's gonna be a downward trend if it keeps happening.

I think Emma Thomas said they're not opposed to it pretty recently but if they have the opportunity to go big, they're going to likely take advantage of that. They see it as sort of a responsibility to do something big with the freedom offered because that opportunity simply doesn't exist for pretty much anyone. Basically it'll take a couple disappointing box office runs to size down I imagine. Tenet may very well be headed that way (though mostly due to external circumstances).

I suppose the genre choice where characters are usually pretty thin anyways just happens to make it seem like a bit of a trend following Dunkirk. Let's see where his next film goes.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Yes, that is 100% my worry. As you said, in Dunkirk it almost works in its benefit. Here, again, I understand the idea of his characters being purposefully vague, but it doesn't mean it's something that works. In agreement with you that it's not really so bad that it breaks the movie, but it is a trend, which is why I think he needs his next movie to have an external foundation to build on - either a novel or a historical source. Don't let him craft the story and ESPECIALLY the characters from scratch.

Though, I will say - for him it's progress that the female character is the most developed. 😛 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, that is 100% my worry. As you said, in Dunkirk it almost works in its benefit. Here, again, I understand the idea of his characters being purposefully vague, but it doesn't mean it's something that works. In agreement with you that it's not really so bad that it breaks the movie, but it is a trend, which is why I think he needs his next movie to have an external foundation to build on - either a novel or a historical source. Don't let him craft the story and ESPECIALLY the characters from scratch.

Though, I will say - for him it's progress that the female character is the most developed. 😛 

To be honest, I don't get the idea here, this concept feels like it desperately needed an Edge of Tomorrow-esque script and instead it takes itself super seriously, and there are no characters to help you out.

Nolan's movies are mostly sci-fi and/or action. I can somehow understand why his characters may seem cold. But his choice in doing Dunkirk with characters so detached was...well...a choice. The movie was an adrenaline rush, but you couldn't get attached to any character. I think he wanted to make something different than all the war movies we got, but i still don't know if i like it

Tenet dropped to 8.2 on imdb. 

8 minutes ago, TMP said:

Why Dwayne Johnson? He can't act and his box office pull is spotty. Tom Cruise would make a lot more sense, especially with the help his video seems to have given in terms of advertising this film

If Nolan can cast Harry Stiles in Dunkirk, Dwayne Johnson in a future film cannot be ruled out. 

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think Emma Thomas said they're not opposed to it pretty recently but if they have the opportunity to go big, they're going to likely take advantage of that. They see it as sort of a responsibility to do something big with the freedom offered because that opportunity simply doesn't exist for pretty much anyone. Basically it'll take a couple disappointing box office runs to size down I imagine. Tenet may very well be headed that way (though mostly due to external circumstances).

I could see Nolan doing a 'smaller' film that more akin to say The Departed or Once Upon a Time in Hollywood but not low budget. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

To be honest, I don't get the idea here, this concept feels like it desperately needed an Edge of Tomorrow-esque script and instead it takes itself super seriously, and there are no characters to help you out.

I think, as much as time is clearly the most important idea and theme for a lot of his movies, another one of his go-to themes seems to be STORY, or the craft itself of creating a story and/or film-making itself. You see that in The Prestige, in Inception, and now here, but with Tenet, it's done to an absurd level, where you do feel like it should be far more self-aware and open with its knowing winks to the audience. Having "protagonist" and "antagonist" as actual terms in the movie is soooo on-the-nose that you feel like it MUST not be taking itself seriously. Which, unfortunately, it is...

I will just say there were a few moments there ("SIR Michael", or the code word as it relates to RPatz's previous most famous role) where I was like...that would work so much better if the whole thing was a Fast & Furious style insane ride, rather than such a "serious" movie. And it's made worse by the fact that you can SEE JDW and Rob having the charisma and chemistry to pull off a more light-hearted adventure that still has clever twists.

I do hope Nolan will learn from this.

• Like 2