Jump to content
Snake Eric

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I suppose it could be due to the fact that I’ve only seen his latest films on an IMAX screen, which definitely has superior sound compared to a regular screen. I’m guessing it’s an issue with the regular 5.1/7.1 mixes combined with substandard speaker set ups in multiplexes (I know from experience how certain chains will just swap the amps over when one blows, meaning you lose a channel).

 

Depends on the IMAX screen. Some have top notch quality and others don't. Unfortunately the one near me has terrible sound. It's extremely loud but lacks clarity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

 

Depends on the IMAX screen. Some have top notch quality and others don't. Unfortunately the one near me has terrible sound. It's extremely loud but lacks clarity. 

I’d bet money on that being because someone at the theatre has messed around with the volume settings. IMAX are generally very strict with their standards and they’re meant to be set only by their engineers. I worked at a cinema with a laser IMAX and the engineer got very funny with us when we told him that someone had turned the volume up for a staff show one night, it runs the risk of blowing the speakers and causing all sorts of calibration problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only person who’s never had a problem with the sound in his movies. Even Interstellar didn’t give me any issues. 

This is the first Nolan film I’ve had trouble hearing dialogue for in a cinema (other than Bane a bit). I’m hoping the auditorium I was in had especially bad sound levels but if not, this is definitely the worst offender of his movies. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

feeling a sense of doom and gloom on here as the reviews aren't across the board raves. Yet there are plenty of raves out there, so if you're a Nolan fan then you've no reason not to be as excited as you'd normally be for one of his new films.

 

Peter Bradshaw in The Guardian (arguably the best and most respected of critics in the UK) just gave it five stars this afternoon.

 

The Prestige and Interstellar had notably mixed reactions at first from critics, but are now right near the top of people's Nolan lists.  His films are designed to be watched over and over.  Just drink it in and enjoy yourselves now, tomorrow, next week - whenever it may be opening where you live.

The "oh, it's only on 82% on RT, I'll wait and watch it on cam" crowd, laughable.  Imagine watching Interstellar for the first time like that?! Just because you'll only go if it's, like 8% higher on a movie aggregate score site?  Bizarre.

 

Even if it's not as good as some of his other movies, it will absolutely be worth the experience.  

 

I cannot wait to see it tomorrow.

 

Edit - it's also worth reiterating....the furore around its release during the pandemic and Warner Bros's handling of it has NOTHING to do with the film itself.  It was just meant to be a big Chris Nolan summer movie to entertain audiences.  Judging it based on the time we're in at the moment and the 'is it worth risking my life' talk is just ludicrously unfair on the movie.  It's just a movie.  I personally can't believe it's opening in the states with the way the pandemic is over there, but again - nothing to do with the movie.  

Edited by wildphantom
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

feeling a sense of doom and gloom on here as the reviews aren't across the board raves. Yet there are plenty of raves out there, so if you're a Nolan fan then you've no reason not to be as excited as you'd normally be for one of his new films.

 

Peter Bradshaw in The Guardian (arguably the best and most respected of critics in the UK) just gave it five stars this afternoon.

 

The Prestige and Interstellar had notably mixed reactions at first from critics, but are now right near the top of people's Nolan lists.  His films are designed to be watched over and over.  Just drink it in and enjoy yourselves now, tomorrow, next week - whenever it may be opening where you live.

The "oh, it's only on 82% on RT, I'll wait and watch it on cam" crowd, laughable.  Imagine watching Interstellar for the first time like that?! Just because you'll only go if it's, like 8% higher on a movie aggregate score site?  Bizarre.

 

Even if it's not as good as some of his other movies, it will absolutely be worth the experience.  

 

I cannot wait to see it tomorrow.

 

Edit - it's also worth reiterating....the furore around its release during the pandemic and Warner Bros's handling of it has NOTHING to do with the film itself.  It was just meant to be a big Chris Nolan summer movie to entertain audiences.  Judging it based on the time we're in at the moment and the 'is it worth risking my life' talk is just ludicrously unfair on the movie.  It's just a movie.  I personally can't believe it's opening in the states with the way the pandemic is over there, but again - nothing to do with the movie.  

 

Only way I would feel comfortable seeing it in theater right now in America is buying out the entire auditorium. Prevent other germy bastards from sharing their junk with me. 

  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

 

 

Peter Bradshaw in The Guardian (arguably the best and most respected of critics in the UK) just gave it five stars this afternoon.

 

 

Bradshaw sucks. Why is he highly regarded?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to lower any expectations I might have plus the whole handling of this whole thing by WB/Nolan/whatever has been misguided to say the least. It's definitely dampening the enthusiasm.

 

And yeah, I don't plan to see the movie for at least a few weeks at this rate for theaters to die down a bit so it's hard for me to get excited right now. I hope those who are able to experience it safely will enjoy it though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Bradshaw sucks. Why is he highly regarded?


good writer and very well respected within film criticism.  I’m not sure why he sucks? If he calls something ‘amazing cinema’ like he has this, then it’ll be worth seeing.  I might not always agree with whether he likes something or not, but the actual criticism is proper film criticism. 

He’s not one of the vast majority of critics on the ‘tomato books’ who actually couldn’t string two sentences together about actual filmmaking. 
 

anyway, I just pointed out he’d particularly raved it. He’s not alone either - hence my point that this air of tempering expectations on here if you like Nolan’s films seems foolhardy and unwarranted. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'm trying to lower any expectations I might have plus the whole handling of this whole thing by WB/Nolan/whatever has been misguided to say the least. It's definitely dampening the enthusiasm.

 

And yeah, I don't plan to see the movie for at least a few weeks at this rate for theaters to die down a bit so it's hard for me to get excited right now. I hope those who are able to experience it safely will enjoy it though.


the handling of it is quickly becoming the story. We’ve seen it all before with other films that become part of a greater political narrative.
 

Before we know it people will almost exclusively talk about Tenet as the film associated with Covid, than the film itself. Quick to point fingers at whose fault it is it’s opening so wide, or why it’s ‘might not’ be opening in some drive-ins. Drew McWeeny massively has gone down this route; actively tweeting he will never see another Nolan film in cinemas again because of Nolan’s handling of the release? 

 

Mind you, speaking as someone in the U.K, the hysteria around things opening around the pandemic in the states was literally us a matter of months ago.  It’s understandable. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in italy for a family visit this week and I booked seats for a screening tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find movies not dubbed in italian here, but I will surely see it again in english eventually. Well, if I like it, of course.. but nolan has never disappointed me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.