Eric the Fall Guy

PAPA NOL∀N'S TENƎꓕ | August 26 internationally. September 2 "in select US cities" | 75% on RT after 228 reviews

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

Yeah that is a possibility. but based on other countries if they hold off until beginning of July, the trajectory should start going down drastically by then ( I pray and hope). in some places in the US there are already promising signs. 

Again, based on other countries.

The problem at the core of this and people in general hoping for it to be delayed is the US and UK governments' lacking response to the virus.

"The country's reopening is premature, its government response unacceptably lax - and its cinemas simply unsafe, no matter how many temperature checks they perform at the door."

13 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I agree but at the same time I don't think theater attendance will ever come back to the levels of pre-COVID19 era, even after a vaccine.  (probably like 20% or 30% decline in attendance overall )

we will have a better picture after a vaccine is available and we start seeing way less 1 billion dollar grossers than we used to.

Oh, undoubtedly. There will be an impact, and a sizable one at that. But there is a difference between everything going back to normal and people just completely writing off cinema going. I think the only way that happens is they are physically closed. Otherwise, there will be people going - and enough of them for a movie like Tenet, playing in 50% of screens (even if the total screens are 70% of normal) for a month to leg out a run big enough to turn a profit. Now, we're still talking 200 million or more left on the table compared to delaying for a year, but it's still better than what it would make on VOD (even setting aside Nolan's opposition to that).

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

Whatever happens, I think the idea of opening this in July is gonna be high risk high reward for WB. Tenet is either gonna bomb HARD in this date, or it's gonna be a giant zeitgeist movie

It's going to flop anyway by pre-pandemic standards whenever it opens (not in July).

53 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Eh, theaters have survived far worse. I doubt we're going to see any long-term effects espescially if everything else that involved a lot of people together (restaurants, bars, concerts, sports games) doesn't drop in attendance. 

Yeah I would say 5% maybe (permanently). and most of those will be people who only went to the movies 2-3 times a year anyways. but kids grow up and they will be replacing the people we lost. 

53 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Again, based on other countries.

The problem at the core of this and people in general hoping for it to be delayed is the US and UK governments' lacking response to the virus.

"The country's reopening is premature, its government response unacceptably lax - and its cinemas simply unsafe, no matter how many temperature checks they perform at the door."

the US closed down the country for the first time in history... how is that lacking in response???

We are talking about something still 2 months away. I think it's premature to say that. the economy HAS to open it just does.  

Edited by Kalo

This will get delayed imo.

Even before the virus, this didn't have much hype. It only has Nolan's name. 

Overseas, the situation is bad too. It would lose money if it's released in its current date.

I say move it to October and hope there's a vaccine by then. (doubt it though)

Edited by Maggie

21 minutes ago, Kalo said:

the US closed down the country for the first time in history... how is that lacking in response???

We are talking about something still 2 months away. I think it's premature to say that. the economy HAS to open it just does.  

Opening the economy prematurely and risking that second wave when deaths are still in the hundreds and new cases are in the thousands (in the UK's case)  is lacking in response. Not having widespread accessible and reliable testing and tracing - which we don't here - is lacking in response. Locking down the country WEEKS late after pursuing a dangerous strategy is lacking in response.

Maybe that's why the industry is so silent on that whole debate because it is so intertwined with politics. They just take governments at their word - there's no reason from their POV not to reopen if the governments give the green light. The assumption is that when the governments say it's safe it will actually be. Guess the public and those calling for a delay can afford to be more skeptical.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Anyway, most Overseas will be closed. Are they ready to renounce the OS market? US is not looking good either

Most major OS markets will have opened cinemas by then. Brazil, Mexico, UK, and Russia are the only ones I don't see opening before July 17th.

• Like 1

Both Warner Bros. and Nolan declined to comment for this story. But those with knowledge of the plans describe how the studio is moving forward. The company has already conducted cast and filmmaker interviews for so-called “long-lead" journalists, monthly magazine writers, by Zoom. It also is preparing to drop a second trailer online in the coming weeks — one more trapping of a company preparing a major summer release.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Most major OS markets will have opened cinemas by then. Brazil, Mexico, UK, and Russia are the only ones I don't see opening before July 17th.

I wonder if China will allow Hollywood movies in July/August, isn't that usually their blackout month? where usually only play local films.  not to mention if they have some of the Chinese New Year movies that are awaiting release since February that might take priority