sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

26 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I can't believe the first Lego movie came out 5 years ago... I think this was just a few years late. Not really much of a novelty anymore, kind of like HTTYD2 in some ways. 

I vividly remember going to see the first in theatres. Still friends with the two people I went with. Can't believe that was basically a quarter of my life ago holy shit time passes so quick

• Like 3

I thought LEGO 2 was very ambitious. Would expect nothing less from a Lord/Miller project. Basically tipples down on the first film's twist. Execution a step down from the first and the LEGO Batman Movie. Over-reliance on singing, including at least 3 more variations of Everything Is Awesome. Humor is on point. Top-notch pop culture comedy.

Feels a lot like Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2. A worthy successor that refuses to settle for less but at the same time doesn't reach the same heights. I enjoyed seeing it, but don't think I'll be repeating it like I do those other two LEGO films (I don't care to see Ninjago)

People have probably already said this but I think after the Ninjago movie the whole novelty had worn off. If that had just been canned and we'd gotten a direct sequel to the first Lego Movie a year earlier, we might've seen a different reaction.

I think HTTYD 3 will underperform too. The second one released the same year as the first Lego movie and the sequels to both have the same gap. The HTTYD franchise also had a mediocre TV show just like how there were two mediocre Lego movies in between the two main Lego movies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think HTTYD 3 will underperform too. The second one released the same year as the first Lego movie and the sequels to both have the same gap. The HTTYD franchise also had a mediocre TV show just like how there were two mediocre Lego movies in between the two main Lego movies.

It'll probably end up performing similarly to Kung Fu Panda 3, which was also following an underperforming second installment from nearly 5 years earlier.

Anyway I saw What Men Want today and the audience was dying laughing during certain parts of it so I imagine legs will be good. Taraji makes the movie worth seeing anyway.

Edited by filmlover

How To Train Your Dragon 3 will outgross Lego 2. :ohmygod:

Next weekend, I think Happy Death Day 2 may win. Alita is getting buzz but remember James Cameron produced products aren’t golden either..: remember this guys? v1.bTsxMTIwODM4NjtqOzE4MDM5OzEyMDA7MTAxM

81f1CFFcRbL._RI_.jpg

However, Alita could pull a surprise on us.  And maybe alita if it bombs or not may actually be entertaining flick.

Isn’t It Romantic will perform with I Feel Pretty numbers. 

Animation studios need to learn that releasing a first sequel in the 4-8 year gap after tends to be a death wish. Most of the audience of the first are in a young teen stage where animation appeal can be tricky, and not yet in the 18-30 demo where nostalgia comes in. WiR2 managed to offset this disadvantage with some very smart marketing of the IP card it had to play. Also WDAS and Pixar just have more inherent universal age appeal than any other animation studio. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Animation studios need to learn that releasing a first sequel in the 4-8 year gap after tends to be a death wish. Most of the audience of the first are in a young teen stage where animation appeal can be tricky, and not yet in the 18-30 demo where nostalgia comes in. WiR2 managed to offset this disadvantage with some very smart marketing of the IP card it had to play. Also WDAS and Pixar just have more inherent universal age appeal than any other animation studio. 

Even then WIR2 underperformed at best.

Just now, Mulder said:

Even then WIR2 underperformed at best.

Not really. I remember everyone saying WIR2 had no chance to outgross the first before marketing hit. Then expectations rose, and I always had some of the higher predictions. But the marketing is the only thing that changed the perception with people that it might not have a huge drop off. And it didn't, it increased even if marginal. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not really. I remember everyone saying WIR2 had no chance to outgross the first before marketing hit. Then expectations rose, and I always had some of the higher predictions. But the marketing is the only thing that changed the perception with people that it might not have a huge drop off. And it didn't, it increased even if marginal. 

Fair enough I guess, I didn't know it outgrossed the original.

14 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

How To Train Your Dragon 3 will outgross Lego 2. :ohmygod:

Next weekend, I think Happy Death Day 2 may win. Alita is getting buzz but remember James Cameron produced products aren’t golden either..: remember this guys? v1.bTsxMTIwODM4NjtqOzE4MDM5OzEyMDA7MTAxM

81f1CFFcRbL._RI_.jpg

However, Alita could pull a surprise on us.  And maybe alita if it bombs or not may actually be entertaining flick.

Isn’t It Romantic will perform with I Feel Pretty numbers. 

SOLARIS was a pretty solid movie though. 

• Thanks 2

I'm hoping the nostalgia card will come into play for Dragon 3. 2 was caught in that nasty gap I just talked about, but this one is coming 9 years after the first. That's just long enough for potential nostalgia for the kids who grew up with the first to be a factor. On the flipside, have the movies been passed down to today's kids? Because obviously they are still the main demo for it to do well. If it's a box office dud too, then this will truly be a horrific Jan/Feb at the box office. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm hoping the nostalgia card will come into play for Dragon 3. 2 was caught in that nasty gap I just talked about, but this one is coming 9 years after the first. That's just long enough for potential nostalgia for the kids who grew up with the first to be a factor. On the flipside, have the movies been passed down to today's kids? Because obviously they are still the main demo for it to do well. If it's a box office dud too, then this will truly be a horrific Jan/Feb at the box office. 

It also has an end of trilogy feel apart to yet another chapter. I think it may do better than KFP3's 13-14% drop from KFP2. 160-170 will be a 4-10% drop from HTTYD2.

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I remmeber loads predicting 300m for Ralph 2 after that Princess trailer 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

HTTYD 3 is doing well Internationally and I have seen people in India caring about an animation film which is rare. Might pull $5mn in India as well which will be only behind $7.5mn of Incredibles 2.

Regarding US, I was surprised to know that second one actually decreased from first and usually when the original is great the second part grow very well and its not that sequel was bad, it was good as well.

I didn't liked the marketing material of this one but still have hope that it will be good watch when I watch it a month and 12 days from now.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

10 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I remmeber loads predicting 300m for Ralph 2 after that Princess trailer 

I remember in 2012 people predicting WiR would gross $300 just because it had Sonic and Bowser in the trailers. Some people got letdowns. That's exactly what will happen to that Pikachu movie 

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

HTTYD 3 is doing well Internationally and I have seen people in India caring about an animation film which is rare. Might pull $5mn in India as well which will be only behind $7.5mn of Incredibles 2.

HTTYD3 is doing pretty well in overseas markets as it is selling more tickets than HTTYD2, exchange rates is not helping it, but it i growing comparing its predecessors. Could do $500m if China delivers

I was hoping given how super aggressive Universal is with marketing the Illumination movies they'd do the same to HTTYD3 but that sadly doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it's because it's a carryover from the pre-Dreamworks purchase days?

Edited by cookie