charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (3/1/2019 - 3/3/2019) - Weekend Estimates - Page 19.

Had hoped that Poppins would eak it out to 400m WW but it looks like my prerelease overseas lowpoint (175/180) is where it will stop. Obviously domestic didnt live up to that either. Old fashioned, cold, etc whatever you want to say, the fact that top end musicals box office wise is about 175m is frustrating. 

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Not a bad result considering it's available on digital now. It's also got about two more weeks before the Blu-ray release, so it should at least cross $190M by the end of it all.

I don't get why studio nowadays like to put a leggy film on digital this early, it barely reach 12 weeks of its release!

Any statistics to support their decision? Is it really more profitable to release thing this early on digital?

They could just re-release an extended version of it and grab another few millions out of this.

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I don't get why studio nowadays like to put a leggy film on digital this early, it barely reach 12 weeks of its release!

Any statistics to support their decision? Is it really more profitable to release thing this early on digital?

They could just re-release an extended version of it and grab another few millions out of this.

Part of it is because this kind of release strategy is done months in advance, so many times studios won't know ahead of time when something will have legs or not. Another part is studios wanting to strike while the iron is hot, and releasing a movie soon while it's still fresh in the minds of the public. Why force a movie to stay in theaters and get about a couple million more, when you can get more sales and revenue from Blu-Ray, 4K, or digital downloads?

Happy Death Day 2U at $55m worldwide now after decent starts in Russia and Mexico. Should end about $70m worldwide.

So, with a $9m budget, it’s not the end of the world. Just a disappointing domestic result. I wonder if Blumhouse will release a third film through BHTilt. 

13 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Part of it is because this kind of release strategy is done months in advance, so many times studios won't know ahead of time when something will have legs or not. Another part is studios wanting to strike while the iron is hot, and releasing a movie soon while it's still fresh in the minds of the public. Why force a movie to stay in theaters and get about a couple million more, when you can get more sales and revenue from Blu-Ray, 4K, or digital downloads?

I am not too sure how 90 days of theaterical window works but apparently Spider-verse hasn't reach 90days yet when it is was first put on digital 

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Happy Death Day 2U at $55m worldwide now after decent starts in Russia and Mexico. Should end about $70m worldwide.

So, with a $9m budget, it’s not the end of the world. Just a disappointing domestic result. I wonder if Blumhouse will release a third film through BHTilt. 

Nah I doubt a 3rd one will be made. 

That's a fantastic second weekend for how to train your Dragon. Quite the good opening 2 for the final Madea film. I've always enjoyed the Madea films and I'm looking forward to seeing this one as well. Really happy to see green book doing well in both North America and abroad. Fantastic movie and deserves to find an audience. I certainly hope Alita sails past 500 million.

I watched the first happy death day again last night and the second one really makes so much more sense now LOL. Both movies are fantastic but Jessica Rothe really takes the film to another level with her charm and her performance.

• Like 3

Just now, Godzilla said:

Nah I doubt a 3rd one will be made. 

Yeh you’re probably right.

It will make 7-8x its budget from cinemas alone, which is more than most releases can say.

Depends on Blum I guess. Thankfully it doesn’t end screaming for a sequel anyway.