charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (3/1/2019 - 3/3/2019) - Weekend Estimates - Page 19.

9 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Decent hold for Alita on its third weekend, Will it have enough power to reach 100 million domestic?

I am afraid probably not. Competition will be ramping up this week.

Unrelated but I just looked at the-numbers US combined dvd and blu ray charts and Mission Impossible Fallout surprisingly has not sold well. 

Skyscraper, Christopher Robin, The Meg have all sold more, and remain in the top 20, with Fallout already out of the chart. 

Surprising. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Unrelated but I just looked at the-numbers US combined dvd and blu ray charts and Mission Impossible Fallout surprisingly has not sold well. 

Skyscraper, Christopher Robin, The Meg have all sold more, and remain in the top 20, with Fallout already out of the chart. 

Surprising. 

Because it's naff ;)

Tbh, the box office has felt flat since...... well, fuck it, since Fantastic Beasts 2. I feel like that was the drop-off point for box office in general. November wasn't entirely shitty as both Bohemian Rhapsody and The Grinch did great, but ever since Beasts, things have been on the ehh side of things. Beasts itself did well, but it fell off from a cliff compared to the previous film and the entire HP saga, and then Ralph 2 was also a letdown.... yes. it certainly increased from Ralph 1 DOM and OS, but c'mon: everyone had higher expectations, especially with that massive opening week result.... it was clearly gigantically hurt by facing The Grinch and even Spider-Verse before Christmas. It was still the lowest grossing WDAS film since Ralph 1, which I don't think was the expectation around here, even considering the marketing drop-off in later months.

And then December was also disappointing, at least compared to the monster Holiday frames of previous years. Aquaman undeniably did fantastic numbers, but it was obviously no Star Wars or even Jumanji. Spider-Verse also performed stunningly well, but even that still had a meh-ish OS result, and there were a lot of 200M DOM predictions before it came out, so it didn't completely breakout vs. expectations... but let's not shun it for falling a mere 10M short, considering how amazingly it performed either way. Bumblebee did its job fine and didn't necessarily underwhelm, but it was by no means a breakout; and Mary Poppins Returns..... yikes. And that's not even considering Mortal Engines or the general flatlining of awards contenders that weren't BR or A Star Is Born.

And now this year, we've really hit a slump of blatant lack of interest in all but HTTYD3, and that probably hurt the box office a lot. January was a wasteland, with only The Upside being a massive overperformer, and both Escape Room and Dragon Ball Super: Broly being positive lights. Glass is/was a big and profitable hit, obviously, but it also hugely underperformed against what it could have and should have done. And everything else was either decent at best or a bomb. And in February, The Lego Movie 2 was clearly always doomed to be anything but big, given the treatment of the franchise by WB, and Alita is honestly doing about as well as it can/could.... which is still not HUGE numbers, by any means.

So yeah, praise be Captain Marvel when it comes out next week and finally wakes the box office the fuck up.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Does that mean fanboy wars or men whining about strong women in movies?

basically both.

Or in other words: The thread just becomes toxic every time it opens. The discussions run in circles. So i guess the mods just had enough :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

basically both.

Or in other words: The thread just becomes toxic every time it opens. The discussions run in circles. So i guess the mods just had enough :lol:

Banning the troublemakers (after all I guess it's always the usual suspects) could be a better option than preventing everyone from expressing...I mean, in a sense they even punish those who behave in a normal way, it's like a threadban for all.

24 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Damn, the domestic box office down 25.8% year-on-year, how brutal :o

Down by 540M sounds really bad until that you realize that 480M of it came from that year’s early MCU release, which got pushed back 3 weeks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Banning the troublemakers (after all I guess it's always the usual suspects) could be a better option than preventing everyone from expressing...I mean, in a sense they even punish those who behave in a normal way, it's like a threadban for all.

The cry babies create new accounts when they get thread banned. It’s honestly a mess and it’s actually new users that cause the mess for the most part. I mean you have regular users who contribute but at least when they get banned, they don’t go and make new accounts in order to continue spewing whatever it is that they’re saying. 

I wonder if BOT can close off registeration for the forum when a fan boy film is set to open. Don’t know if that logistically is possible but it may help. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

The cry babies create new accounts when they get thread banned. It’s honestly a mess and it’s actually new users that cause the mess for the most part. I mean you have regular users who contribute but at least when they get banned, they don’t go and make new accounts in order to continue spewing whatever it is that they’re saying. 

I wonder if BOT can close off registeration for the forum when a fan boy film is set to open. Don’t know if that logistically is possible but it may help. 

That could be a good idea, indeed.

• Like 1

Solo: A Star Wars Story's been knocked out of the Top domestic for 2018 by Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star Is Born can also pass Venom and Solo.

$975,000 BR Weekend 18 estimate; $214,466,597 Total

$1,885,000 ASIB Weekend 22 estimate; $212,914,339 Total

Wonder if ASIB will finish ahead of BR for the Top 10 domestic for 2018? The game is afoot!