DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

11 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

One thing I completely forgot. The fight scene where they try to do what the GOTG movies did (with the music playing as they fight) was actually terrible. It certainly felt like some random second unit directors trying to copy Gunn but failing horribly. None of it is artfully done and the music doesn't work with the action at all. If there was one thing I thought that was absolutely terrible about the movie, it was that fight scene (the other fight scenes aren't much better but the choice of music in this one was jarring).

Absolutely what it really was. :) And you know what the funny thing is? Many people at this point (me at least) are so desperate for more good Marvel, that we'll take even that surrogate, as the BO shows.

What the BO of the next solo Marvel movie will show, is it is NOT a good idea to serve people less than they have come to expect.

7 hours ago, TMP said:

5/6 of the big superhero films from Marvel/Sony-Marvel and DC will be written and/or directed by women

If you are joking, it is not cool... 😕

Can't find any info on this, so I'll pretend I never read what you both wrote...

14 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Can't find any info on this, so I'll pretend I never read what you both wrote...

Black Widow is searching for female only director (ridiculous, I know)

Birds of Prey is directed by Cathy Yan

Wonder Woman 1984 is directed by Patty Jenkins

The Eternals is in talks with Chloe Zao

Not sure what the fifth one is.

Of course, VENOM will be male directed no doubt. That highly masculine top quality artwork could only be made be a man.

2 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Interesting. Maybe a CM sequel could be a bridge to the MCU's Xmen

I definitely think she will tie in with the X-Men. I’m just not sure how they introduce mutants now?

6 hours ago, DAR said:

I just went down a rabbit hole of some “men” are upset because Nick Fury is shown washing dishes.  We’re being fucked with right?

If they couldn't handle that then it's a good thing they didn't see On the Basis of Sex cause there's a scene in that where Felicity Jones' RBG comes home from work to her husband played by Armie Hammer (aka the embodiment of the perfect alpha male) in the kitchen wearing an apron making dinner. That shit would've had them running in the street screaming that the SJWs have won and that there is no such thing as real men anymore.

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

played by Armie Hammer (aka the embodiment of the perfect alpha male)

0KpXEet.gif

Anyway,

My friend and I were just talking about how we loved Fury in the movie.  He felt like a real human being, not just SLJ in drag (looking at you Joss Whedon.  M&M aren't included in that statement). It was so nice to see him before he was jaded.  I loved how soft he felt.  My favorite bit of business in the movie is when he hides his gun behind his back when Monica walks into the dining room.  And what's great is they showed a new side of his character without taking away anything from his 15 years older "I've seen way too much shit and have trust issues" self.

• Like 6

I think when directors are making movies based on sole female hero they need to stop getting into this trap of displaying overly powerful heroes that vastly outclass any threat they face. I am not saying there are not male superhero movies like this but they generally are seen as poorer entries.

Like look at how boring Superman is to audiences these days...

At the end of CM, she was sooooo much stronger than anyone in the film it really took out the drama or the tension.

At least in Wonder Woman, Ares put up a good battle and I think CM really should have had a final battle may be with Ronin or more powered up Jude Law Character. 

Like I know we want to display very strong female characters that women can look up to but from a superhero movie perspective really makes the film a lesser film than something like CA2, Thor Ragnorak and such.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Bingo.

THis should be the only way.

Organically and narratively speaking, this should be what happens. I hope so, but I am sure that the Russos will have one of the white male Avengers be the ultimate hero. Meh.

Truth is, it should be one of the Avengers from Phase one. End of story. They and their fans is what got this whole thing off of the ground, and I think they owe it to us to give the defeating blow to one of the original Avengers. Be it Tony, Steve, Bruce, Thor, Natasha or even Clint.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, Julian1410 said:

I was a Little bit dissapointed that the Skrulls turned out to be good Guys. They could have been Thanos level villains over the course of the next phase

This would be a good time to flesh out all of these other species where they aren't all good or all bad, but just like humans. Some good some bad, some really, really evil, like Hitler evil.

24 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think when directors are making movies based on sole female hero they need to stop getting into this trap of displaying overly powerful heroes that vastly outclass any threat they face. I am not saying there are not male superhero movies like this but they generally are seen as poorer entries.

Like look at how boring Superman is to audiences these days...

At the end of CM, she was sooooo much stronger than anyone in the film it really took out the drama or the tension.

At least in Wonder Woman, Ares put up a good battle and I think CM really should have had a final battle may be with Ronin or more powered up Jude Law Character. 

Like I know we want to display very strong female characters that women can look up to but from a superhero movie perspective really makes the film a lesser film than something like CA2, Thor Ragnorak and such.

Because god forbid a woman completely overpowering a man. Yep, not something that's ever happened in history.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Because god forbid a woman completely overpowering a man. Yep, not something that's ever happened in history.

There is nothing wrong with that, I felt CM was a lesser film then WW (  and I think audience do as well) because it lacks any drama or tension in the climax due to how overwhelmingly strong she is.

I think they had no choice as the really powerful Marvel characters were not in the story yet that she had to face against. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The X-Men connection thoughts... sound interesting too.

The appearance of some, who might be a bit out of control... could be seen by Fury as an emergency case.

I just think they should wait a decade or so.

We already have 2 versions.

Same counts for Fantastic Four.

Exception: they get a really really interesting idea with very good actors...

I think its to early also bcs I think the already introduced characters, not having ther own movies (yet), are partly very interesting too, still stories to be told.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

There is nothing wrong with that, I felt CM was a lesser film then WW (  and I think audience do as well) because it lacks any drama or tension in the climax due to how overwhelmingly strong she is.

I'm afraid I have to agree. I liked the movie overall, but honestly I liked it more before the point where she just casually crashed through the Kree battleship at the end. Bear in mind that the huge climatic battle of GotG was the Guardians, Yondu's troop of Ravagers, and the Nova Corps' home defense forces collectively pitted against *one* of those ships. Both sides were so devastated at the end of the fight its hard to say if either side really won that aspect of it.

CM, literally 5 minutes after discovering the full extent of her powers, went after *three* of those same ships. She wiped out their entire barrage of missiles, then blew up one of the battleships so quickly the other 2 didn't have time to react. That's a pretty gigantic amount of power, but on top of that, she wasn't even really exerting herself. Their weapons did little more than get her attention, and while blowing up the ship she more seemed to be having fun than being anywhere near reaching the limits of her abilities.

Which, to me, retroactively made the stakes suddenly feel small. In that moment it became clear that no one we had seen at any point during the movie was capable of even slowing her down. When was the last time an MCU movie had the hero win the final, climactic battle in relatively trivial fashion? The only one I can think of is Iron Man 2, easily one of the worst MCU movies. It'd be like if Spiderman ended with him beating up some high school bullies. Sure, he gets to look cool doing it, but at no point is he at risk of losing which kinda takes all the drama away.

Don't get me wrong, I did like the movie overall. I appreciated all the performances everyone else says were good (Larson, SLJ, Mendohlson, and especially Larson and SLJ's chemistry), I just left the movie feeling a little disappointed. I trust the Russos are going to do a great job with End Game and will work CM well into the story.

However, I'm concerned about the series going forward. I mean, seriously, what team with Captain Marvel really needs Hawkeye and Black Widow? That point was already an issue, only mitigated by Hulk having an enormous amount of baggage, and Thor not really being around much (because he's from another planet and has responsibilities across the Nine Realms). CM is *from* Earth, she doesn't lose her temper and have to be restrained from destroying cities, and she just spent the entire CM movie overcoming her psychological issues (lack of memory, Kree-brainwashing, sexist nay-saying) so that's probably not going to be too much of a stumbling block, either.

The movie did a nice job of establishing her, and it certainly did NOT make her a Mary Sue. But it did leave her gigantically powerful and notably lacking in flaws or vulnerabilities going forward which is kind of unfortunate. I mean... they just did her origin story. Do they do the further character development in the next one?

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great post, and indeed it's a troublesome situation, but one that can be overcome. 

There is always a vulnerability that can be exploited in a character, or a new development that changes things.

She cares for people? Put these people in a precarious position, hopefully one that can't be fixed by blowing things up.

She's strong? Insert someone stronger.

What's her purpose, or objective? Weave that into the story. When a character has an objective, suddenly things can get complicated due to unforeseen limitations or constraints (time, place, etc)

As for the "weaker" characters, the challenge is on the screenwriters to find them something to do that matters. It's what I've always found stupid about Age of Ultron, near the beginning they attack the HYDRA stronghold and they go about it... head on. But not all Avengers are solders, you have spies in there, use them! Tony Stark throws a missile through the ground and blows up the protective sphere around the place. Wow. I can imagine 3 or 4 different ways for someone like Black Widow (accompanied by Barton?) to infiltrate the place in a cool manner that also propels her character beyond kicking people, and helps give every member of the team a way to feel unique, but no, they storm the place and beat up the bad guys with their fists. Bleh!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

nd she just spent the entire CM movie overcoming her psychological issues (lack of memory, Kree-brainwashing, sexist nay-saying)

I do not know if they'll do it, but she is in my POV a long way from having overcome all the traumata.

She has to find a way to live with the ~ brainwashed into her personality, 6 years of indoctrination of a false tradition, false cultural ethic,...

What she rechd sofar in my POV:

She has acknowledged the situation, got back her memory (full?), her stand-up-personality back to full, but now has also to get through all the points, not done after such an longlasting and immerse ordeal within even many months.

Power,... as she didn't knew what she is able to do, I do not see the need to lessen her willingness, the danger ... after the event.

Especially as the Kree seem to be convinced to b able to catch her, see come back for the weapon. So maybe she is susceptible for mind control machines or... Power to destroy / having the ability to use the power to seemingly ~ harden her 'surface' makes her not automatically immune against  all the other power of the MCU

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Why is this an issue? Why is it "not cool" that incredibly talented directors are being handed superhero proects? Chloé Zhao is 10x more talented than every Jon Watts, Scott Derickson or Trevorrow-type boring journeyman that's handed one of these films on the regular. 

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

Black Widow is searching for female only director (ridiculous, I know)

Birds of Prey is directed by Cathy Yan

Wonder Woman 1984 is directed by Patty Jenkins

The Eternals is in talks with Chloe Zao

Not sure what the fifth one is.

Of course, VENOM will be male directed no doubt. That highly masculine top quality artwork could only be made be a man.

Firstly Black Widow already has a female director. Secondly, lmaoo, Venom is one of those five films since it's being written by a woman. Somehow your posts keep getting worse and worse, and that's something I didn't think was possible