Eric the Minion

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

So I just saw CM. I thought it was solid. Maybe a 7/10. Don’t judge me, but I enjoyed it much more than Thor Ragnarok. 😛 I liked the Stan Lee tribute. It was a nice touch. I expected Brie to be really stiff after reading some of the comments on here, but she was actually quite charming and funny in parts.

There were some missed opportunities. I thought they could have spent more time developing Jude Law’s character- which goes hand in hand with telling the audience more about the Kree civilization. All in all, it was a good time at the movies. 

Oh yeah, and Fury’s unrequited love for Goose was funny. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

400m would not be likely for CM if competition wasn't so weak. Studios need to challenge Disney.

Agreed. Not sure it's likely now even. But, still, if it gets there it's a big accomplishment. Real competition doesn't come until Dumbo and then Shazam.

1 minute ago, a2k said:

7.4x the previews compared to 7.6x for SMH.

If the ratio of their final multipliers is the same as (7.4/7.6) then CM will do 2.79x compared to 2.86x of SMH for 428 dom.

Spidey's multiplier was boosted by being released in the heart of summer days.

I see Cap Marv having a multiplier between  2.45 and 2.65.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Spidey's multiplier was boosted by being released in the heart of summer days.

I see Cap Marv having a multiplier between  2.45 and 2.65.

i think u r being too conservative. im3 was a triquel while aou was a sequel to then record ow holder ta. cm is a solo non-sequel with not much competition. beating gotg2's, again a sequel, 2.66x seems the least it will do. or 2.60x being more conservative. atm expecting ~2.75x.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Agreed. Not sure it's likely now even. But, still, if it gets there it's a big accomplishment. Real competition doesn't come until Dumbo and then Shazam.

Is it because of the release date or a movie that will be more weekend days than weekdays by nature ?

Looking at those 150m opener Mojo used has comparable:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=roguevhgdk.htm

Captain Marvel Sunday is the biggest outside Dark Knight and they all reached 400m.

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

At one point thought Upside would beat both Glass and Lego2 dom but despite Upside's amazing run those 2 will creep ahead. Of course they were expected to do so by a much much bigger margin, especially Lego2. Couple months back Glass doing 2-3x Upside and Lego doing 3-4x Upside would have been considered normal.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1