Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

The trust that the MCU has built up over the years is pretty insane. Since The Avengers came out the only movies to make less than $250M are Thor 2, Doctor Strange, and the Ant-Mans. Only other movie franchise that I can think of that had this level of consistent staying power is Harry Potter. Crazy impressive.

• Like 2

79% won't hurt considering 29% for Venom definitely didn't.

I have a feeling that adding Wasp as co-lead in AM could have resulted in this level of boost but they downplayed her importance. 😢 I think they didn't want to dampen CM momentum as the (first) flagship for female representation. Paid off for sure though I think the movie would have been this big even if Wasp got more media attention. I think that people were hyped enough, it wasn't either or. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

I have a feeling that adding Wasp as co-lead in AM could have resulted in this level of boost but they downplayed her importance. 😢 I think they didn't want to dampen CM momentum as the (first) flagship for female representation. Paid off for sure though I think the movie would have been this big even if Wasp got more media attention. I think that people were hyped enough, it wasn't either or. 

When the movie came out I thought that the Wasp was the villain :sparta:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The trust that the MCU has built up over the years is pretty insane. Since The Avengers came out the only movies to make less than $250M are Thor 2, Doctor Strange, and the Ant-Mans. Only other movie franchise that I can think of that had this level of consistent staying power is Harry Potter. Crazy impressive.

not even HP anymore. FB has faltered already. MCU can endlessly add new characters including most obscure ones and have them expand the fanbase with each movie while HP prequels stumbled with the second movie. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

not even HP anymore. FB has faltered already. MCU can endlessly add new characters including most obscure ones and have them expand the fanbase with each movie while HP prequels stumbled with the second movie. 

I was speaking specifically about the Harry Potter franchise from 2001-2011.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was speaking specifically about the Harry Potter franchise from 2001-2011.

my bad. though HP was main saga and this is kazillion different franchises with their own sequels and all going strong. I don't think MCU is comparable to anything. truly a beast in its own right. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

my bad. though HP was main saga and this is kazillion different franchises with their own sequels and all going strong. I don't think MCU is comparable to anything. truly a beast in its own right. 

yep. I can't believe WW opened to "only" 100M. This shows the power of the MCU brand. they helped an unknown character open to 153M. an astonishing number

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It did hurt us, we would have been over 1 billion 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

yep. I can't believe WW opened to "only" 100M. This shows the power of the MCU brand. they helped an unknown character open to 153M. an astonishing number

WW 76 MC 93%RT first solo female SH in a long time an iconic character household name only 100M OW

CM 64 MC 79% RT second solo female SH (but even in her own house MCU there was female co-lead Wasp just 7-8 months earlier) known but not exactly household name over 150M OW 

It's truly the power of the brand. :worthy:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

WW 76 MC 93%RT first solo female SH in a long time only 100M OW

CM 64 MC 79% RT second solo female SH (but even in her own house MCU there was female co-lead Wasp just 7-8 months earlier) over 150M OW 

It's truly the power of the brand. :worthy:

IMO better comp is 38mn against 62mn. 

That 100mn come from much much much better WOM. 

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well there's also DC (1 below $250M), Star Wars (1), Jurassic World (0)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

IMO better comp is 38mn against 62mn. 

That 100mn come from much much much better WOM. 

WW was a WOM hit but considering it was the most iconic female SH finally getting the big screen treatment, it should have played like much bigger event on OW than it did. Like, when Katniss Everdeen beats your OW 4 times, you gotta wonder. Of course, all ended well but there's no denying that MCU would have probably gotten 200M OW if WW was their property.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alli said:

please.......WW projection only 65M...the WoM make it into 100M.....and btw with lower budget...

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

considering that male attendance beat female one (especially on Woman's Day!), that's truly an epic fail for "boycotters". :rofl:

Lets be honest the Male fans of the MCU were gonna show up in droves due to the role CM plays in the AVengers storyline. 

• Thanks 1