Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

Not to sidetrack but I think it's a fair distinction to mention that Civil War gave a very strong introduction to Black Panther way before the solo movie. So much of his story, his motivations, his emotional state, his technology, his power, and other similar things were revealed in Civil War. Captain Marvel had absolutely nothing without the benefit of a visionary director as well. Mind you Black Panther is my favorite film, including over all 3 Avengers films. I've seen it a dozen times, I've watched the others no more 3/4 times I believe most twice (Theaters and at home to compare). That applies to all of them except the original Avengers. Seen that the second most.

Back to the 70 million train. I very much want to be wrong about 69,069,069 for all the right reasons. Come on big jump!

• Like 2

Captain Marvel will have an interesting weekend. I also want to see how HTTYD: Hidden World holds.

Five Feet Apart potentially having a better weekend than Wonder Park is beyond my wildest dreams. Even if it falls just shy, the mere fact that it's a possibility is a win for Lionsgate and a boon for Haley Lu Richardson's career. Even if Wonder Park was destined to fail

The Madea film is continuing forward pretty well. One of the better grosses of its franchise history. Though I want to see how it drops when Us becomes an option for moviegoers.

That No Manches Frida 2 gross is a pleasant surprise. Pantelion is a subsidary of Lionsgate, so they must have found their stride! A good omen for John Wick 3? Perhaps.

YIKES at Captive State's PTA.

Looking at Alita's weekend gross, I want to say that I am grateful that the film has been able to make as much as it has. Over $80M domestic for an anime adaptation. With a lesser film, it would've been a pipe dream.

And, hopefully, Apollo 11 gets another weekend gross above $1 Million. With the $300K Friday, it's close.

22 minutes ago, DAJK said:

God my YouTube feed is getting filled with "CAPTAIN MARVEL FAKE BOX OFFICE PROOF" videos its starting to piss me the fuck off. What are these people's sources? Fucking twitter? That's right, no one with any credibility in the industry, someone who just says shit like "my friend told me this". You know what, y'all are the one's saying you're the skeptics? How about not believing everything you fucking read on fuckin twitter just because its how your shit for brains "president" reports his news. It's absolutely ludicrous that we're living in a world that much too similar to Orwell's "science fiction". 

Apologies for getting so upset, I just hate every time I have my headphones in and I'm trying to listen to music on youtube and it skips to the next video, its always some sweaty white dude saying "alright Imma keep drinking your tears you SJW hacks" like fuck off :lol: 

I hope Disney file a libel case against them. Then in court they can show their proofs.

1 minute ago, Slambros said:

Captain Marvel will have an interesting weekend. I also want to see how HTTYD: Hidden World holds.

Five Feet Apart potentially having a better weekend than Wonder Park is beyond my wildest dreams. Even if it falls just shy, the mere fact that it's a possibility is a win for Lionsgate and a boon for Haley Lu Richardson's career. Even if Wonder Park was destined to fail

The Madea film is continuing forward pretty well. One of the better grosses of its franchise history. Though I want to see how it drops when Us becomes an option for moviegoers.

That No Manches Frida 2 gross is a pleasant surprise. Pantelion is a subsidary of Lionsgate, so they must have found their stride! A good omen for John Wick 3? Perhaps.

YIKES at Captive State's PTA.

Looking at Alita's weekend gross, I want to say that I am grateful that the film has been able to make as much as it has. Over $80M domestic for an anime adaptation. With a lesser film, it would've been a pipe dream.

And, hopefully, Apollo 11 gets another weekend gross above $1 Million. With the $300K Friday, it's close.

Five Feet Apart is likely going to fall a few million shy of Wonder Park, if not more. These teen/tween movies are usually much more frontloaded on Friday since A) they usually come within a built-in fanbase that rushes out to see them right away and B ) families come out in droves for weekend matinees unlike any other demographic. Wonder Park is likely going to increase a substantial amount today, while even just staying flat from Friday would be a huge win for 5 Feet Apart. 

Now, would I have preferred 5FA to do better than WP? Heck yea, it looks like a much better movie. But at least Wonder Park being able to beat tracking by a substantial margin is nice enough knowing that original films can still pull in their own crowds, and we don't have to entirely rely on franchises. Now, am I saying that WP doing 18M is going to save originality in Hollywood? Heck no, but doing 18M for an original movie is much better than doing 10M. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

God my YouTube feed is getting filled with "CAPTAIN MARVEL FAKE BOX OFFICE PROOF" videos its starting to piss me the fuck off. What are these people's sources? Fucking twitter? That's right, no one with any credibility in the industry, someone who just says shit like "my friend told me this". You know what, y'all are the one's saying you're the skeptics? How about not believing everything you fucking read on fuckin twitter just because its how your shit for brains "president" reports his news. It's absolutely ludicrous that we're living in a world that much too similar to Orwell's "science fiction". 

Apologies for getting so upset, I just hate every time I have my headphones in and I'm trying to listen to music on youtube and it skips to the next video, its always some sweaty white dude saying "alright Imma keep drinking your tears you SJW hacks" like fuck off :lol: 

Thats why one should switch autoplay on YT off.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

I hope Disney file a libel case against them. Then in court they can show their proofs.

I doubt that would ever happen, and even if it did and Disney presented their records, do you really think these people would care? They'd just shout conspiracy, and say that the courts and the lawyers are all in on it.

When people try and present arguments that are not falsifiable, that's when you know you can't trust what they're saying.

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I doubt that would ever happen, and even if it did and Disney presented their records, do you really think these people would care? They'd just shout conspiracy, and say that the courts and the lawyers are all in on it.

When people try and present arguments that are not falsifiable, that's when you know you can't trust what they're saying.

I have to wonder why YT isn't taking down all these videos. I thought they are cracking down on fake news. I appreciate YT for protecting Brie though, when they changed their algorithm so that when people search 'Brie Larson', all top search results are the legit news vids. If only they could do more.

16 minutes ago, UserHN said:

I have to wonder why YT isn't taking down all these videos. I thought they are cracking down on fake news. I appreciate YT for protecting Brie though, when they changed their algorithm so that when people search 'Brie Larson', all top search results are the legit news vids. If only they could do more.

I mean in all honesty, people do still have freedom of speech. Sure, what they're saying is idiotic, manipulative, ill-informed and stupid, but youtube shouldn't be able to control the types of opinions people have.

I just wish they... didn't have those opinions in the first place. But the only way to make people scream louder is to try and shut them up

47 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Five Feet Apart is likely going to fall a few million shy of Wonder Park, if not more. These teen/tween movies are usually much more frontloaded on Friday since A) they usually come within a built-in fanbase that rushes out to see them right away and B ) families come out in droves for weekend matinees unlike any other demographic. Wonder Park is likely going to increase a substantial amount today, while even just staying flat from Friday would be a huge win for 5 Feet Apart. 

Now, would I have preferred 5FA to do better than WP? Heck yea, it looks like a much better movie. But at least Wonder Park being able to beat tracking by a substantial margin is nice enough knowing that original films can still pull in their own crowds, and we don't have to entirely rely on franchises. Now, am I saying that WP doing 18M is going to save originality in Hollywood? Heck no, but doing 18M for an original movie is much better than doing 10M. 

Yeah, I’m genuinely curious when they will finally move on.  Probably not until they have exhausted all possible conspiracy theories and milked every view out of every video possible. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, UserHN said:

You need more to prove people wrong to win a libel case in the US.

1) They knew they were wrong or did gross negligence in not trying to find the proof

2) Proof it was with malicious intend (that stuff protect humor/satire/etc...)

3) Proof damage (with Captain Marvel box office, good luck proving that their action did hurt Disney in any way)

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

YES replace the box office numbers with parking lot reports :Venom:

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean in all honesty, people do still have freedom of speech. Sure, what they're saying is idiotic, manipulative, ill-informed and stupid, but youtube shouldn't be able to control the types of opinions people have.

I just wish they... didn't have those opinions in the first place. But the only way to make people scream louder is to try and shut them up

That is the truest statement I've seen on the internet all week:)...

It's an unfortunate aspect of human nature, but one that's about as much at the core of humanity as anything is.  Deny something to a person, and all they can think about is how to get around the denial.  We've had many, many examples of the same - Prohibition, The War on Drugs, etc.  

Giving someone all the space he needs to say something, and having no audience show up - that's how you stop the speech.  When we can convince all people to stop LISTENING to them, and the speakers realize that they are shouting at the wind.  That nothing they say or did actually caused a ripple, and we kept on keeping on without even a notice.  Condemning them or commending them - they don't care what the feedback is as long as they get it - they live off feeling "important".  So, just turn away and shut it off without a word:)...  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love how they were obsessed with the monday drop, calling historical drop, flop and other such things. Sometimes you can't help yourself but be entertained by their idiocy, so once in while I search for their videos to laugh my ass off at their stupidity. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Thats why one should switch autoplay on YT off.

Two other options as well.

1. Don't watch crap to start with, YouTube will make sure to show you more of it.

2. If you have to, then don't use your standard account.

Edited by Thomas Beck
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yhis was prettymuch a dump weekend.

I called it a little too soon. Still not a very interesting weekend, but at least Wonder Park and 5 Feet are doing 3-4M above tracking each, and Captive Sate is going UNDER tracking. How exciting!!! 😕 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

After what happened in New Zealand I definitely disagree, Youtube has responsabilities as a global, influent platform..We're no longer at the point when it's just hatred without action, it's now hatred leading to criminal actions (far right terrorism). Allowing them to express themselves and nurturing terrorism makes Youtube & Co complicit.

We didn't hesitate to shut all kinds of accounts down in the war against the Islamic State and it's been a success so let's do the same with the far right. I don't care if they scream louder, it'll just make easier to shut them down even further.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

You clearly been watching Jordan Peterson Videos (lol jk)

I watched some and my youtube feed is royal fucked up now lol

The issue is that I watch 1-2 of those videos and my youtube feed changes drastically. I can see why people get into such silos now. 

Edited by Lordmandeep