Eric Lasagna

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

The main problem was they made a fuckin TV series which dampened the excitement for the movies... They shouldn't have done that or should have done after the trilogy.

But the Coulson TV series only increased excitement for CM 😛 

• Like 1

Great for Captain Marvel and Five Feet Apart (which did way above even its very top end of tracking, something we don’t see much these days).

And I just got back from Fighting With My Family and it’s my favourite film of the year so far. 

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Little disappointing that The Aftermath opened so poorly ($57.5K, $11.5K PTA). I wasn't interested in seeing it, but this is going to be the last film from the Fox company before they get swallowed up by the Disney machine in three days, and I kinda wanted the company to end on some sort of high note. Oh well

That bombed here in the Uk too. Trailer looked so dull. She’s been playing the same role for 10 years. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Watched Triple Frontier last night, I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would based on the first 15 minutes I watched on Friday. Not the greatest film, but 2019 has been rather weak so far that it's probably my number 5 or so of the year. 

Eye candy. 

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:
24 14 A Star is Born (2018) WB $240,000 -67.6% 443 -367 $542 $215,066,514 $36 24
26 21 Bohemian Rhapsody Fox $220,000 -41.9% 256 -130 $859 $215,666,836 $52 20

so close and yet so far

Likely too late for ASIB to close the gap unless WB suddenly releases a singalong version (but it's kind of heavy for that), or it gets an unexpected last minute wave of publicity because another song from the soundtrack somehow goes viral in the next week or two or IDK, Bradley splits from his girlfriend, then the media would be all over the role ASIB had in a breakup. So, oh well, congrats to BoRhap for winning the domestic and worldwide battles.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Little disappointing that The Aftermath opened so poorly ($57.5K, $11.5K PTA). I wasn't interested in seeing it, but this is going to be the last film from the Fox company before they get swallowed up by the Disney machine in three days, and I kinda wanted the company to end on some sort of high note. Oh well

I saw the trailer for The Aftermath and thought, didn't Keira already make this movie? And the arthouse crowd is probably not interested in what seems like a sympathetic portrayal of a Nazi right now.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

I saw the trailer for The Aftermath and thought, didn't Keira already make this movie? And the arthouse crowd is probably not interested in what seems like a sympathetic portrayal of a Nazi right now.

I expect Hotel Mumbai is gonna bomb big time as well (at least even more than it was already going to anyway). Unfortunate timing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Almost half of Five Feet Apart's audience was under the age of 18 according to Hollywood Reporter. The Riverdale audience was out in full force to support Cole Sprouse this weekend it seems.

Hmm. I don't think a breakdown like that is a desirable outcome if the movie wishes to have good legs.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I expect Hotel Mumbai is gonna bomb big time as well (at least even more than it was already going to anyway). Unfortunate timing.

Would any time in the last 3-4 years have been a good time for a movie reenacting a real-life terror attack? The odds are that something similar might have happened again by the time it's released.

16 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

giphy.gif

Just going by the trailer, besides the Nazi element, the crowd for this has seen Knightley in superior WWII films already.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

1 minute ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Would any time in the last 3-4 years have been a good time for a movie reenacting a real-life terror attack? The odds are that something similar might have happened again by the time it's released.

To be fair, Hotel Mumbai actually was shot in 2016 (Armie made it right after he was done with Call Me by Your Name) and was going to be released by Weinstein until they cratered and has been sitting on the shelf ever since. Not the death sentence for a movie if The Upside is anything to go on but in this case...

3 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

That’s honestly why I appreciate a studio like WB a lot more.Disney relies so heavily in live action adaptations,Star Wars And Marvel to make a shitload of money.

I mentioned WB because they just had Aquaman making it to the Billie and i’m Pretty sure Detective Pikatchu will get there as well.

I mean if we look at original movies (The first of a series/never been adapted before) Then there are only 5 movies to gross over a billion that were original 2 for Fox (Avatar/Titanic), 2 for Disney (Frozen and Zootopia) and 1 for Universal (Jurassic Park after a few re-releases). And even then Jurassic Park, Titanic and Frozen can be debated on whether they count as original movies since they are based off a book/based off real events and based off a childrens story (i think) respectively.

23 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Fox Searchlight doesn't seem to have a strong lineup this year. Their remaining Oscars contenders are:

Lucy in the Sky (Natalie Portman and Jon Hamm; dir. Noah Hawley)

The French Dispatch (Frances McDormand, Saoirse Ronan, Tilda Swinton, Timothee Chalamet, Kate Winslet, and Benicio del Toro; dir. Wes Anderson) (expect this movie to be really pushed because of the huge star power)

Nomadland (Frances McDormand; dir. Chloe Zhao)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

Fox Searchlight doesn't seem to have a strong lineup this year. Their remaining Oscars contenders are:

The French Dispatch (Frances McDormand, Saoirse Ronan, Tilda Swinton, Timothee Chalamet, Kate Winslet, and Benicio del Toro; dir. Wes Anderson) (expect this movie to be really pushed because of the huge star power)

@aabattery takes offense with this post.

(they're putting out Jojo Rabbit as well)

Captain Marvel held a lot better than I expected this week (I was thinking it'd be more like 60%+ since it kinda performed more like a frontloaded sequel on it's OW than a solo).

Anyways 760M for CM in 12 days is huge, should be heading for 1.1B total which will make it the highest grossing solo superhero movie for a character not appearing in previous installments:rock:

bo.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UserHN said:

The latter two have plenty of promise. Anderson is Anderson and Zhao had an impressive breakthrough with The Rider.

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Captain Marvel held a lot better than I expected this week (I was thinking it'd be more like 60%+ since it kinda performed more like a frontloaded sequel on it's OW than a solo).

Anyways 760M for CM in 12 days is huge, should be heading for 1.1B total which will make it the highest grossing solo superhero movie for a character not appearing in previous installments:rock:

bo.png

I mean.... I'm pretty sure as soon as it passes GotG's 770mil it should get that anyway... well unless Deadpool counts but even then that's only 780mil

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

To be fair, Hotel Mumbai actually was shot in 2016 (Armie made it right after he was done with Call Me by Your Name) and was going to be released by Weinstein until they cratered and has been sitting on the shelf ever since. Not the death sentence for a movie if The Upside is anything to go on but in this case...

Even if Hotel Mumbai had been a contender, the subject matter was probably too limiting for an audience to really embrace it. The Upside had an appealing concept plus stars the US audience likes, so it did well here. What is the last Weinstein movie still in the vault, The Current War? It's not awards material but it might still work with a certain audience in a Monuments Men sort of way (admittedly that had more star power).

WTG for Five Feet Apart, I like Cole Sprause and Haley Lu Richardson and I was always Team Rafael when I watched Jane the Virgin (FFA is directed by Justin Baldoni).

Edited by BoxOfficeChica