Eric Quinn

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Nolan had Batman Begins and The Dark Knight before Inception, so I presume it will be the former.

I imagine someone will offer him a tentpole, I think WB were courting for Akira at one point. 

Blumhouse has knocked it out of the park again. 

• Like 1

I'm sure most people realize this but keep in mind..... Jordan peele's name now will generate a massive Rush. Especially this being his follow-up to get out. So don't be surprised if the internal multiplier is not huge for this weekend and I wouldn't be surprised if it drops somewhat significantly on Saturday.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

What is it looking at WW, 900+?

Jesus fucking Christ.

It has 9.6 on Maoyan, though release is limited but I won't rule out $30mn plus full run.

Japan and Rest may add another 6-10mn.

That would place it at $916-920mn, the higher limit will be putting it just above Shrek at #51 worldwide for Hollywood. Could have hit #50 but Cap Marvel will join top 25 by then.

• Like 2

Really excited for Jordan Peele. It’s also great for the industry when we have directors who can put out original content and it gets people to the theaters. I feel like that’s been missing from the industry for quite a bit (besides the well known directors of Spielberg, Tarantino, Nolan etc) so it’s nice to see another director join that mix. 

Re other outlets referencing BOT: not surprised Scott peaks at our forums. He follows Gavin Feng on twitter and tbh we have so many valuable/knowledgeable members (even some who work in the industry) on here that if I was following box offic for a living, I would take a peak at BOT as well. It’s why even when the fanboy wars and stuff give me a headache/gets toxic, I try to stick it out because as someone who likes to follow and learn about the box office, there isn’t a better site to be at. 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine someone will offer him a tentpole, I think WB were courting for Akira at one point. 

WB literally offers any in-demand film-maker Akira. They offered Nolan. They offered George Miller. Justin Lin. They just really, really want that Akira film for some reason. Taika was offered last, but who knows if his version is gonna happen.

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I predict that he’s gonna do a departure from horror next.  What genre he’ll do is anyone’s guess, but I feel like he is very capable of doing multiple genres and he’ll probably want to prove that

He’s probably gonna do a few more horror movies before switching it up. This is his favorite genre.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

By end of August, this could have been 9 MCU films at top but Aquaman seems like will lead Cap by $20 odd millions. Nvm. 

What if Shazam > Aquaman?

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Possible but unlikely.

1. Shazam don't have Christmas/New Year.

2. Aquaman didn't had Endgame in Week 4.

3. Even if it match Aquaman every where else, China going to be around half.

So maybe 900+ WW if it does great?

Edited by cdsacken

23 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm sure most people realize this but keep in mind..... Jordan peele's name now will generate a massive Rush. Especially this being his follow-up to get out. So don't be surprised if the internal multiplier is not huge for this weekend and I wouldn't be surprised if it drops somewhat significantly on Saturday.

He is popular, but I do not see why he would generate more of a rush with fans than other directors such as Christopher Nolan or Steven Spielberg, who also have marquee value and do not have generally front loaded projects.  

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Nova said:

Really excited for Jordan Peele. It’s also great for the industry when we have directors who can put out original content and it gets people to the theaters. I feel like that’s been missing from the industry for quite a bit (besides the well known directors of Spielberg, Tarantino, Nolan etc) so it’s nice to see another director join that mix. 

I think the Blumhouse model allows directors to be able be more creative, it doesn't always work but the risk is fairly low due to the small budgets.