Eric Prime

US WEEKEND THREAD: Record 70.25 OW (highest grossing OW for an original horror)

B cinemascore is great for a Horror movie, IT and AQP got a B+ which should bode well for legs.

it's pretty difficult for Horror movies to get into the A range, the only ones I can think of that got an A- are Get Out and James Wan's Conjuring films.

8 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Elsa Roc is completely on the money y’all. I love CM and am really pulling for 413+, but there’s medium sized competition ahead and any trailer/Endgame bump/double feature push will be a couple M at most.       

Given a reasonable 3rd weekend multi it need at least 34 this weekend for 400 to be looking good.  Which could totally happen — with an early 9 from Rth it’s pretty easy to imagine the weekend coming in at 9.2*3.9=36. Or it could be 8.7*3.7=32. If that happens I recommend you start aiming for GotG2’s total rather than THG, which had crazy late legs.

If it ends up at 33.5 million versus 35/36 for this week that doesn't correlate to much with a massive breakout for US going 25 million over tracking. A couple weeks before End Game this film absolutely may have much stronger legs for weeks 6/7/8 . 

Curious to see how US does with next week and especially the week after with Pet Sematary coming out. Man that has great reviews coming in too, the book gave me literal nightmares as a kid.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, john2000 said:

still its an improvement from 31 million now around 34 

That 31.7 was a joke, never paid any attention to it. 34  bit on the low end of where I thought the weekend would go, but not alarmingly.

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

This is normal for horror. 

3 hours ago, ElsaRoc said:

The record OW for an original film is SLoP's 104m, followed by Inside Out's 90m. 

For live action, it's either The Passion of the Christ (83m) or Avatar (77m), followed by The Day After Tomorrow (68m).

Us is in really good territory. 

Is Passion of the Christ original? 

Day After Tomorrow is loosely based on a book too. 

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

That 31.7 was a joke, never paid any attention to it. 34  bit on the low end of where I thought the weekend would go, but not alarmingly.

in my opinion we looking at 34-36 as of now hoping saturday push it more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Deadline now with a 9.1 Friday and 33.9 weekend would be a 3.725 IM. Hoping for more, but that would be respectable.

34.0 (-50%) weekend for 320.4 cume will leave CM 92.2 away from Wonder Woman

GOTG2 had a 34.65 3rd weekend and added 88.4 more.

So far both the movies have shown same legs with CM doing a bit better. GOTG2's multiplier by the 3rd weekend will be 2.06x (301.4/146.5) compared to CM's 2.09x (320.4/153.4). Even though GOTG2 is looking to beat CM's 3rd weekend, CM had spring break boosting the weekdays.

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

So far both the movies have shown same legs with CM doing a bit better. GOTG2's multiplier by the 3rd weekend will be 2.06x (301.4/146.5) compared to CM's 2.09x (320.4/153.4). Even though GOTG2 is looking to beat CM's 3rd weekend, CM had spring break boosting the weekdays.

saturday will show us where it will land this weekend i wouldnt be suprised with 35-36

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Not so sure it will follow GOTG for weeks 5-8. Obviously a lot different with End Game coming on week 8.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Next weekend CM will have a good drop with Disney's Dumbo releasing. Disney holdovers always get strangely good holds when a new movie from the studio releases.

i want  dumbo to be a success fingers crossed

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2