CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

9 minutes ago, MrHardapple said:

The trailer looks way too arty to me.

It's a Baz Luhrmann movie... i'm sure it will be everything but "arty" 

Dude has made some of the most fun maximalism movies ever (and reviews for Elvis said it's the case here too)

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's a Baz Luhrmann movie... i'm sure it will be everything but "arty" 

Dude has made some of the most fun maximalism movies ever (and reviews for Elvis said it's the case here too)

While you're right, Baz is hyper stylistic. This isn't a Won't You Be My Neighbor or Walk The Line or Hidden Figures style biopic. I assume that's what the poster means.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

While you're right, Baz is hyper stylistic. This isn't a Won't You Be My Neighbor or Walk The Line or Hidden Figures style biopic. I assume that's what the poster means.

And the subject of Elvis fits Luhrmann's style to a t. Problems happen when Luhrmann triesfor  a more  classic "straight"  style ("Australia") or chosses  a jubject which does not fit his  usual hyper style ("Gatsby"0

but for this, I have no doubts.

Edited by dudalb

Austin Butler annoys me but he does seem to really nail the role of Elvis. Definitely a career making role regardless of the box office or awards. 

I didn't realize he could sing like that. He sounds just like Elvis. 

Edited by ban1o

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I see Gatsby getting some shade here... Sure, it ain't a great flick but it definitely did well at the box office. 50M OW DOM and a 145M DOM TOTAL. Not bad at all. And, that was in 2013. I'd be thrilled if Elvis can somehow match that total DOM.

Gatsby's box office is interesting because I don't think anyone expected it to do as well as it did but WB promoted it to the hilt with deals with Tiffanys and Harrods which weren't able to do with Elvis because of the nature of the film doesn't lend itself to that sort of promotion,

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I see Gatsby getting some shade here... Sure, it ain't a great flick but it definitely did well at the box office. 50M OW DOM and a 145M DOM TOTAL. Not bad at all. And, that was in 2013. I'd be thrilled if Elvis can somehow match that total DOM.

One problem.

Gatsby starred Leo DiCaprio, the biggest draw

6 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I am not denying Gatsby did well at the box office; I justt hink it was a lousy adaptation of the novel. I still maintain Luhrmann's style was just a bad fit for the novel's themes.

Hopefully you are not implying that how a film does at the box office in an indication of it's worth as a movie.

I can cite some movies now considered classics that failed at the box office, and some films that were huge hits that are pretty much forgotten today.

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Gatsby's box office is interesting because I don't think anyone expected it to do as well as it did but WB promoted it to the hilt with deals with Tiffanys and Harrods which weren't able to do with Elvis because of the nature of the film doesn't lend itself to that sort of promotion,

But I think the life of Elvis is a much, much, better fit for Luhrmann's style then the F Scott Fitzgerald novel.