sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

10 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Also, some people still deny the Detective Pikachu Effect: expect many disappointing numbers in the next five weeks. Families, young adults and grandparents are all saving their money.

Dumbo couldn't but Pikachu will fly

pikachu_float.jpg?itok=Y_hTMlri&mtime=14

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a therapist, Antidepressants have their place but you have to get the right match between drug and client. I cant tell you the number of screw ups that have happened to my clients because the DR just wrote a prescription. 

Drugs to me are a last resort, but even my wife has to take them to balance a chemical imbalance that she has. She tried 3 different meds before we found the right one. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

For all it’s shortcomings, Dumbo was a beautiful film 

I saw it yesterday and it works very well whenever Dumbo himself is on screen (you'd have to literally have a heart of stone to not be won over by that CGI piece of cuteness). It's whenever the attention shifts entirely to the humans it's a bit of a drag. I know they had to add a lot considering how short the original was (barely an hour long) but still. Might've benefitted the movie had they followed the original's template more closely in this case.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Dumbo couldn't but Pikachu will fly

pikachu_float.jpg?itok=Y_hTMlri&mtime=14

Lego2 + Dumbo + HTTYD3 might do just over 400 dom using a breakdown of 106 + 130 + 165. Would do in on Pikachu over those 3 combined club.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Seriously though Pikachu and to a lesser extent Aladdin are going to both benefit from the weak numbers of PG family films this year so far (Lego 2 and Dumbo somewhat disappointing, Dragon 3 did the best it could at $160M) as well as Endgame despite being huge, I imagine it’ll be darker than past MCU films as well as longer in runtime, allowing both as solid counterprogramming.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Lego2 + Dumbo + HTTYD3 might do 395 dom using a breakdown of 106 + 124 + 165. 400 at most. Would do in on Pikachu over those 3 combined club.

Dumbo opens to 45M and only makes 124M? That seems unlikely for a kids film, bear in mind there's no other family films coming out soon I don't think.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I saw it yesterday and it works very well whenever Dumbo himself is on screen (you'd have to literally have a heart of stone to not be won over by that CGI piece of cuteness). It's whenever the attention shifts entirely to the humans it's a bit of a drag. I know they had to add a lot considering how short the original was (barely an hour long) but still. Might've benefitted the movie had they followed the original's template more closely in this case.

Talking animals might have actually helped it especially overseas 

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Dumbo opens to 45M and only makes 124M? That seems unlikely for a kids film, bear in mind there's no other family films coming out soon I don't think.

58 minutes ago, a2k said:

DUMBO 2.78x to hit 125, 3.33x to hit 150.

BATB 2.88x

CINDERLLA 2.96x

TJB 3.53x

Could do more but with mixed wom and Shazam expected to be a hit with family audience I don't expect very good legs. Editing that post to 130 though.

Edited by a2k

11 minutes ago, a2k said:

Could do more but with mixed wom and Shazam expected to be a hit with family audience I don't expect very good legs. Editing that post to 130 though.

I wouldn't say BATB is a great comparison because it had such a huge opening, would expect it to be more like cinderella but I don't know how audiences are liking it

7 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I don't know if that's exactly "solid".

That's considered an above average PTA for a 4,000+ theater wide release though. Obviously the mega-PTAs come almost exclusively from the juggernaut openers and the buzzy specialty releases that debut in 4-5 theaters.

29 minutes ago, narniadis said:

As a therapist, Antidepressants have their place but you have to get the right match between drug and client. I cant tell you the number of screw ups that have happened to my clients because the DR just wrote a prescription. 

Drugs to me are a last resort, but even my wife has to take them to balance a chemical imbalance that she has. She tried 3 different meds before we found the right one. 

Under education and a habit of wanting to prescribe the same things over and over and over again. Or not prescribing drugs from a different drug class. So a drug won’t work for a patient and then you’ll have a dr prescribe them a different drug but that drug works the same exact way that the previous drug that didn’t work did. Just because it has a different name doesn’t mean it’s gonna do something different. 

And of course trial and error is a big thing when it comes to prescribing. You can’t really know how a patient will react to a drug unless they’ve already taken it or taken a drug from a similar class. 

• Like 1