sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Have to agree here, and I'm a Disney supporter. There's no need to remake all of their classic animated films, and there's especially no need to stuff 3 in one year!! Just remake the best of the classics - Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King etc. - and spread the releases out so they feel like true events.

This. Dumbo felt like a filler not like an event. Aladdin doesn't feel like an event either (too much in the shadow of TLK which wouldn't happen if it had the year all for itself) but it's positioned to do far better than Dumbo cause more known especially OS. Only TLK feels like an event. They should have just released that one. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It seems audiences may be agreeing with critics on the quality of Dumbo. That was a very poor Sat jump for family fodder during spring break season, especially one that had minimal preview frontloading. Honestly, even though marketing for Dumbo looked good to me and I wanted it to be good, I'm also kind of glad this has happened. Maybe it will slow Disney's roll just a tad with these live action remakes. If Aladdin also underperforms, they will most definitely reconsider what they're doing with these and the effort they put into them. 

looks like Dumbo had some interesting ideas and I'm not sure they put no effort into it, still they clearly made some bad decisions especially with the script

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This. Dumbo felt like a filler not like an event. Aladdin doesn't feel like an event either (too much in the shadow of TLK which wouldn't happen if it had the year all for itself) but it's positioned to do far better than Dumbo cause more known especially OS. Only TLK feels like an event. They should have just released that one. 

It IS filler.  But it's meant as filler for Disney streaming.  Unlike Netflix Disney will have back "most" of the money for this piece of streaming content at the theater upfront though.  I think people are failing to see the power of this business model.  And of course the Disney ecosystem us built to monetize 10 different other ways. 

While certain properties are RT proof and we can debate if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I definitely think RT matters enough when people are deciding if they should spend the money on something that if they see it's rotten or fresh on RT, it's a potential make or break moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

That Us number is really disappointing. I thought it would drop much better. Guess it's not quite as crowd pleasing as Get Out was.

Crowd pleasing perhaps, just heavily front loaded w/o interest in repeat views more likely.

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

That Us number is really disappointing. I thought it would drop much better. Guess it's not quite as crowd pleasing as Get Out was.

I don't know anything about Us tbh but its important to think, a big drop doesn't mean it's not well liked. films can be frontloaded because people really want to see it and it burns through its target audience early on. for extreme eexample - Harry Potter finale dropped 72% in second weekend and that was a well loved film.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Crowd pleasing perhaps, just heavily front loaded w/o interest in repeat views more likely.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I don't know anything about Us tbh but its important to think, a big drop doesn't mean it's not well liked. films can be frontloaded because people really want to see it and it burns through its target audience early on. for extreme eexample - Harry Potter finale dropped 72% in second weekend and that was a well loved film.

True enough re: the front loading. I guess I figured that Us would be so big that even a $71M opening weekend wouldn't be front loaded.

Us had a huge Thursday preview number and massive upfront demand to see it. It was guaranteed to drop more than 50% this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

True enough re: the front loading. I guess I figured that Us would be so big that even a $71M opening weekend wouldn't be front loaded.

some certain members of this forum got a bit carried away with predictions. I can't say I can think of another horror film with 60M+ opening that dropped less than 50%.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

While certain properties are RT proof and we can debate if this is a good thing or a bad thing, I definitely think RT matters enough when people are deciding if they should spend the money on something that if they see it's rotten or fresh on RT, it's a potential make or break moment.

Still weirds me out when instead of a critic blurb is a frikkin' number that has to be advertised and it's not even the average score rating just their wacky thumbs up/down system.

@Avatree you just thought of A Quiet Place, so you edited to 60?

Edited by 2kt09

2 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

Still weirds me out when instead of a critic blurb is a frikkin' number that has to be advertised and it's not even the average score rating just their wacky thumbs up/down system.

isn't that better than a critic quote? Every single film regardless of how badly it was received, can put a great positive critic quote on the poster/advert.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

isn't that better than a critic quote? Every single film regardless of how badly it was received, can put a great positive critic quote on the poster/advert.

They should use metacritic 😁 

7 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

@Avatree you just thought of A Quiet Place, so you edited to 60?

I wrote 70m initially then changed it.

2 minutes ago, 2kt09 said:

They should use metacritic 😁 

Now that is a truly terrible rating system if there ever was one.

25 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Unplanned sounds terrible, but on the bright side, how harmful can it be when the only people seeing it are the ones that have their stance on abortion locked in?

I honestly don’t see the point in getting outraged over movies like this. I’m pro choice and have zero interest in watching this, and I don’t see why I should remotely care what other people choose to spend their money and time on? 

Holly Fuck! I just noticed now that Green Book is nearing $300m.... on a $23m budget! 

But I was told several times that people doesn't go to small movies anymore and that they should all go to Netflix, how is that possible? 

Another examples of successful small movies released this year alone:

Glass, $246m on a $20m budget.

US, around $280m on a $20m budget.

Escape Room, $151m (and counting) on a $9m (!) budget.

The Upside, $120m on a $37m budget.

A Dog's Way Home, $74m (and counting) on a $18m budget.

Madea, $71m on a really small budget.

Five Feet Apart, $50m and it still has several markets to open!