sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

Dumbo’s legs will be more than fine imo because there is a lack of PG offerings. We’ve seen family films (bad ones at that) get good multipliers based on lack of competition alone. Don’t see why Dumbo won’t see the same benefit. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's considered an above average PTA for a 4,000+ theater wide release though. Obviously the mega-PTAs come almost exclusively from the juggernaut openers and the buzzy specialty releases that debut in 4-5 theaters.

well, it did better than The Nut Job 2 at least.

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Why did Disney spend $170m on Dumbo? Surely they could have made it for less

Burton. To be fair, I fully expected it to be a 120M film, but at least every penny is visible on screen. Other than Dumbo himself, the best part of the movie is how beautiful it looks. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Dumbo opens to 45M and only makes 124M? That seems unlikely for a kids film, bear in mind there's no other family films coming out soon I don't think.

I'm not as confident on where it goes from here...

Next weekend, there are two big openers, one of which steals kids (Shazam)...

Then, the following weekend, Missing Link opens.  Now, like Wonder Park, I'm not planning to see that movie right now.  But for the right price, I'd probably jump in for another original.  And Missing Link and Shazam have been advertising on almost every family movie this year (whereas Dumbo was only previews of Disney product - and even then, not on Ralph, at least for me).  There might be a lot of families like me that if offering Missing Link for 1/2 the price of Dumbo, say, "what the heck, that's as good an Easter break movie as any"...so, while Shazam is a family movie hammer against Dumbo, Missing Link could be the original family movie gnat that Wonder Park (and HHTYD3) still were to Dumbo this weekend...annoying and just enough to bother the opening weekend (or at that point, the legs) for Dumbo...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

Missing Link won’t do good sadly due to a stop motion stigma not to mention marketing (for me at least) has been weaker than past Laika films.

Shazam! I imagine will draw more or less the same amount of kids Homecoming did and due to it being PG-13, it won’t draw as much kids as Dumbo.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Missing Link is gonna be a nonevent so I doubt it'll do much damage.

Honestly, I think it truly does depend where they price it.  If they decide to go in like Wonder Park for $5 tickets, it could be a game changer for them just like it was for Wonder Park - the effective $20 family 4-pack is a "customer moving" price, just like the $10 Moviepass subscription was:)...(I mean, at one point, WP was looking at tracking of $8M OW, and probably under $25M-$30M Total DOM BO:).

I know T-Mobile actually did a survey on $4 movie ticket prices just last month (centered on their Alita deal) and asked their entire subscriber base (of which I am one), a whole bunch of questions about if the price moved their movie going behavior for that movie, and if it would for future movies...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Dumbo's number is a little sad :(

Us' number is decent on its own, but it's so far below weekend projections that the reaction to it will probably be negative 

CM has the strongest number of the top 3. It'll be at 370+ by the end of next weekend. 

Edited by Djsoke

21 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Honestly, I think it truly does depend where they price it.  If they decide to go in like Wonder Park for $5 tickets, it could be a game changer for them just like it was for Wonder Park - the effective $20 family 4-pack is a "customer moving" price, just like the $10 Moviepass subscription was:)...(I mean, at one point, WP was looking at tracking of $8M OW, and probably under $25M-$30M Total DOM BO:).

I know T-Mobile actually did a survey on $4 movie ticket prices just last month (centered on their Alita deal) and asked their entire subscriber base (of which I am one), a whole bunch of questions about if the price moved their movie going behavior for that movie, and if it would for future movies...

Don't the studios get a say on how much they can charge?

I doubt they would be happy with such a small take.

31 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not as confident on where it goes from here...

Next weekend, there are two big openers, one of which steals kids (Shazam)...

Then, the following weekend, Missing Link opens.  Now, like Wonder Park, I'm not planning to see that movie right now.  But for the right price, I'd probably jump in for another original.  And Missing Link and Shazam have been advertising on almost every family movie this year (whereas Dumbo was only previews of Disney product - and even then, not on Ralph, at least for me).  There might be a lot of families like me that if offering Missing Link for 1/2 the price of Dumbo, say, "what the heck, that's as good an Easter break movie as any"...so, while Shazam is a family movie hammer against Dumbo, Missing Link could be the original family movie gnat that Wonder Park (and HHTYD3) still were to Dumbo this weekend...annoying and just enough to bother the opening weekend (or at that point, the legs) for Dumbo...

Ah, you are right, I didn't notice Missing Link on the calendar. I just looked at BOM schedule and thought there were no kids films coming out until Pikachu.

• Like 1

It seems audiences may be agreeing with critics on the quality of Dumbo. That was a very poor Sat jump for family fodder during spring break season, especially one that had minimal preview frontloading. Honestly, even though marketing for Dumbo looked good to me and I wanted it to be good, I'm also kind of glad this has happened. Maybe it will slow Disney's roll just a tad with these live action remakes. If Aladdin also underperforms, they will most definitely reconsider what they're doing with these and the effort they put into them. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TMP said:

Steroids have to be one of the worst drugs. There's a few guys at my gym who are obviously not natty, and they look like they've really fucked up their bodies with that decision.

Steroids really aren't remotely near the worst drugs if the person does them with any sort of intelligence. 'Low level' steroids if done correctly can essentially be used with near-zero negative impacts on the body. Even the more extreme steroids can still be managed well if the person has an actual plan and monitors their hormones correctly. An enormous amount of actors are using steroids in some form, but since they're managed correctly they haven't fucked up their bodies at all. I personally still think the risk isn't worth the reward for me personally, but the risk is still very overstated if the person has any real forethought (assuming you're not talking about the extreme stacks that professional bodybuilders are on, that shit is just insane).

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

I don't know. Looking at the 125 films to open in 4,000+, Dumbo ranks 106th in PTA.

Ouch.

Too bad. The movie looked gorgeous but it was....missing something. I also concur with those saying the script was awful. I mean, Ehren Kruger, writer on several of the Transformers movies? C'mon Disney...

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It seems audiences may be agreeing with critics on the quality of Dumbo. That was a very poor Sat jump for family fodder during spring break season, especially one that had minimal preview frontloading. Honestly, even though marketing for Dumbo looked good to me and I wanted it to be good, I'm also kind of glad this has happened. Maybe it will slow Disney's roll just a tad with these live action remakes. If Aladdin also underperforms, they will most definitely reconsider what they're doing with these and the effort they put into them. 

Have to agree here, and I'm a Disney supporter. There's no need to remake all of their classic animated films, and there's especially no need to stuff 3 in one year!! Just remake the best of the classics - Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King etc. - and spread the releases out so they feel like true events.