sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

As some who likes to see a Disney remake crash and burn, the jury is still open for it. It has an open family market until Pikachu and Spring Break. Let’s wait and see before we start screaming flop.

19 minutes ago, baumer said:

Dumbo will not be a flop.  Disappointment?  Maybe.  But flop is a strong word and it certainly does not apply in this situation.  

Will depend, it’ll need at least around 400m to be out of the red

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

As some who likes to see a Disney remake crash and burn, the jury is still open for it. It has an open family market until Pikachu and Spring Break. Let’s wait and see before we start screaming flop.

It has Shazam! next weekend, which should have a crossover in demo

• Like 1

Just now, The Panda said:

It has Shazam! next weekend, which should have a crossover in demo

It’s the only PG movie though and apparently Shazam! is darker. I think the two will co exist.

5 minutes ago, Matthew said:

At this point.. I wouldn't be surprised if

Lion King, Aladdin and Maleficent 2 flops or underperform. Artemis Fowl is already a flop. 

i dont see it except for artemis fowl dont make dumbo a rule , forget beauty and the beast,cindarella,maleficent,jungle bok  and so on ? this movie could underperform like every other movie for sure but dont change it bc dumbo didnt make as much and also theere is clearly more hype way more for lion king and alladin than dumbo ,dont start this bc one movie underperformed every studio has their hits and miss dont make the general rule be the misses when clearly disney had success big success with their remakes for the most part

Edited by john2000

8 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Will depend, it’ll need at least around 400m to be out of the red

World wide it should come close.  And even if it does not hit that, it's not a flop.  Flops aren't when a film comes close to doubling it's production budget.  

40 minutes ago, jedijake said:

So Dumbo looking at less than $50 million. It will likely fail to reach $150 million domestic. I'd say that is close to bomb territory.

$140M would be close to flop territory, nowhere near a bomb. And let's wait until the end of the weekend, this kind of movie can overperform on Saturday.

Edited by MrGlass2

Just now, That One Guy said:

Almost saw Dumbo last night, but swapped my ticket last minute to see Captain Marvel again with my friends.  I have a gut feeling I made the better decision.

of course you would you are goose if you wont support your movie who will

Disney saw what marvel could do with many movie per year, it saw that Malif, Cinder, Jungle, Beauty all did great numbers and thought we might have another marvel in our hand and went nuts with remakes (and less known adaptations) and if Aldadin doens't get to $600m ww I might back fire.

Still TLK will be a 100% sure big hit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The Lion King they could have waited until 2020. They don't really have any other $1 Billion potential films next year other than Avatar 2. 

Mulan is a maybe but agreed.

The only big future Live Action remakes imo is Mermaid and Stitch. I can see TENG doing big if they use the unused KOTS pitch as I feel that is way more suited for live action.