sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

The media really seems to be in love with Peele.  I get why but it does lead to some distortion of the facts.  Deadline reported that "most horror films fall 60-65% in their second weekend" when telling us how amazing US' drop of 53% is.  53% is a terrific drop especially for a film with the rush factor that US had.  But let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet when it comes to horror dropping so massively in its second weekend making US' drop something extraordinary.

Second weekend drops of recent horror films:

IT: (Rated R):  51%

Halloween (R):  58%

The Conjuring (R):  48%

The Nun (R):  -66%

The Conjuring 2:  -63%

Annabelle Creation:  (R):  -55%

Don't Breathe (R):  -40%

Hereditary (R):  -49%

So I'm not sure where she's getting most films drop north of 60%.  These are all rated R films.  So the reporting is definitely glossing over the film and trying pump the tires a little too much.  It is a good drop, no doubt.  But to say most horror films drop north of 60% in their second weekend is completely erroneous.

As for Captain Marvel, it is definitely not doing better than Wonder Woman at any point of its run after the first weekend.  I don't know what poster said it was but Boxofficemojo is your friend.  WW had a historic run after its OW weekend. Second weekend drop was 43%, then 29, then 39 and then 36%.  Marvel is behaving more like a typical solo Marvel movie.  I personally don't think it will get past WW.  That would require legs of about 2.75.  I don't see that happening.  I think it will get to 400 but not 420.

Dumbo's opening is fine I guess.  The price tag is really high but then again it seems like every animated film these days carry monstrous price tags.  I have no idea what the legs will be like but with A- audience score they should be fine. 

giphy.gif&ehk=ZSTRoH2jz1EMtn1KOI%2BCaA

• ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

US is not direct competition imo to CM.  Marvel is going to need some very good late legs to get past 420.  Not saying it can't happen of course but a 2.74X isn't a lock either.  And when people say that it faces stiff competition, all movies do.  There are 2 or 3 movies getting released every weekend now.  The fight for a good release date is real as everyone is jockeying for position.  So there will be a fight for your dollars every weekend from different films.  These films that are being released are no different than any other films and what they have to face.  

giphy.gif&ehk=0UBcMWcimqj6ZwSkmuDgoQ

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

What part do you disagree with?

Captain Marvel don't need Wondy like legs to outperform. It can havw normal legs and still outgross Wondy. I am happy either way but just saying. 

A

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Matthew said:

Captain Marvel don't need Wondy like legs to outperform. It can havw normal legs and still outgross Wondy. I am happy either way but just saying. 

A

I didn't say it needs Wonder Woman legs to get past WW.  I said I don't think the legs will be enough to get there.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Thread hijacked to MCU vs DCEU instead of laughing on FLOPBO :apocalypse:

both of those things are bad ,its not funny many people work in these movies and try their best

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i am talking about the fanboy war

Dumbo has fanboys? :winomg:

I was just making a point about how there were people who rightly called Dumbo's OW like @TMP and @TwoMisfits after the preview number came in based on what they saw in presales (and their local theaters) but they were called haters. It has nothing to do with fanwars/fanboys. Just that maybe we should cool it on the "hater" talk when someone makes a personal prediction for a movie using whatever metric it is that they're using. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

I was just making a point about how there were people who rightly called Dumbo's OW like @TMP and @TwoMisfits after the preview number came in based on what they saw in presales (and their local theaters) but they were called haters. It has nothing to do with fanwars/fanboys. Just that maybe we should cool it on the "hater" talk when someone makes a personal prediction for a movie using whatever metric it is that they're using. 

nevermind  i meant something different maybe it came with the wrong way,i am really bored  to try to explain it

Edited by john2000

1 minute ago, Nova said:

giphy.gif&ehk=x6lZCEQc1QQ4xpHCHffAFw

• Knock It Off 1

I don't think Dumbo is flopping but it isn't doing great either. I always thought this remake could bring some money (smth like $150-170m DOM / $400-450m WW) but only if Disney kept the budget "low". After watching the movie, they could have kept the budget similar to Cinderella's ($95m) and not $170m. Also Disney really needs to space out these remakes a bit more (2 per year), promote them as events and make sure the movie is going to be loved by audiences like they did with 'The Jungle Book' and 'Beauty and the Beast'. Yes I know this last one is hated around here but audiences loved it, I mean it made $504m DOM and $1.2b WW and legs were really good, people may have forgotten about it but it was huge when it came out and helped to increase popularity for the Disney classic. 

Off topic: I'm getting really tired of these Wonder Woman-Captain Marvel comparisons. Can people not just like both? I mean I though one film was better than the other but really happy both of them did so huge cause I am a fan of both. 

Edited by AN9815
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

US is not direct competition imo to CM.  Marvel is going to need some very good late legs to get past 420.  Not saying it can't happen of course but a 2.74X isn't a lock either.  And when people say that it faces stiff competition, all movies do.  There are 2 or 3 movies getting released every weekend now.  The fight for a good release date is real as everyone is jockeying for position.  So there will be a fight for your dollars every weekend from different films.  These films that are being released are no different than any other films and what they have to face.  

agreed but I think that if CM comes close to passing WW Disney will give it the push. They know it would get headlines and they love their records.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

Stop what?  He makes an excellent point.

john2000 is a strong supporter of being not in a war over fandom, to not expect too high,....

He hopes ppl stop to being downers for being part of the 'vs-group'.

He too is not a native English speaker.....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

john2000 is a strong supporter of being not in a war over fandom, to not expect too high,....

giphy.gif&ehk=1xGM7fj8tqD7TUrBRidJSg

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

GET THIS MAN SOME LIKES BC I CANT

Edited by john2000