sfran43

Weekend Thread: weekend #s (Actuals) Dumbo $45.99M, Us $33.23M, CM $20.66M

5 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I don't think Dumbo is flopping but it isn't doing great either. I always thought this remake could bring some money (smth like $150-170m DOM / $400-450m WW) but only if Disney kept the budget "low". After watching the movie, they could have kept the budget similar to Cinderella's ($95m) and not $170m. Also Disney really needs to space out these remakes a bit more (2 per year), promote them as events and make sure the movie is going to be loved by audiences like they did with 'The Jungle Book' and 'Beauty and the Beast'. Yes I know this last one is hated around here but audiences loved it, I mean it made $504m DOM and $1.2b WW and legs were really good, people may have forgotten about it but it was huge when it came out and helped to increase popularity for the Disney classic. 

Off topic: I'm getting really tired of these Wonder Woman-Captain Marvel comparisons. Can people not just like both? I mean I though one film was better than the other but really happy both of them did so huge cause I am a fan of both. 

thank you someone else said it emphasize on the last one

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

I was just making a point about how there were people who rightly ....

No, it was about the small side note.

You and others, balanced, not the ones

A few others seem to word their reasonings in another way (see fan war thread and so on)

As me too do not like that kind of reasons (not balanced, not based on reasosn like you and the others named by you) for certain wording I got a bit aware about him reacting often the way I was ~ thinking about certain posts too.

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

agreed but I think that if CM comes close to passing WW Disney will give it the push. They know it would get headlines and they love their records.

Well, Homecoming surged with late legs to get to 2.85 so you definitely can use that as a film to compare it to.  You may be right.  

• Like 1

Like individual MCU movies, Disney live action remakes are going to have varied boxoffice. Some properties will soar like BP and CM, some will do OK business like Ant Man movies and the rest will fall somewhere in between. BatB and Alice were CM/BP of remakes and Dumbo is Ant Man. No flop but obvious difference in boxoffice.  It's just the nature of some properties, higher appeal vs lower appeal, as well as positioning. BP/CM/BatB were positioned as events, Dumbo/Ant Man movies were not. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

I didn't read @Nova post being anything to do with fandom wars.  He just said that he felt the opening weekend number being predicted was too high and that 45 is right where he had it.  Nothing flamish about that.

• Like 3

Just now, Valonqar said:

Like individual MCU movies, Disney live action remakes are going to have varied boxoffice. Some properties will soar like BP and CM, some will do OK business like Ant Man movies and the rest will fall somewhere in between. BatB and Alice were CM/BP of remakes and Dumbo is Ant Man. No flop but obvious difference in boxoffice.  It's just the nature of some properties, higher appeal vs lower appeal. 

Dumbo is flop Ant man was not flop. 

Floppins and Bumbo 2 flops in a row. 😉😉😉😉

1 minute ago, baumer said:

I didn't read @Nova post being anything to do with fandom wars.  He just said that he felt the opening weekend number being predicted was too high and that 45 is right where he had it.  Nothing flamish about that.

giphy.gif&ehk=S7wdtakllKaubGJic0e8ew

1 minute ago, baumer said:

no but he also said something about haters etc dont remember exactly what right now ,what i want to say its that this thread sorry but it has become a shit , dont be one of them who say about haters ,his post wasnt the problem i just wanted to said dont bring the whole arguement with haters etc here too

Definitely a bit below expectations for Dumbo but not terrible. One thing is clear is that Disney's older catalogue doesn't carry the same weight that their early 90s products do. Aladdin and especially The Lion King resonate much more strongly with my generation (since we remember and actually saw those movies when they came out), and the grosses for the remakes will reflect that.

Acceptable drop for Us. It's clearly playing much more like a normal horror movie than Get Out did.

3 minutes ago, Matthew said:

lion king,alladin and malecifent 2 will break the curse ... while it could be flops none of the will fail to not hit 500+ in my opinion

I love CM, but I'd have no problem if the movie stays under WWs dom, ...

CM is over WW ww

Aquaman might be over CM ww, but is under CM in dom

All 3 movies would be over and under in dom or ww, every fan who looks for that, can be happy about at least one of the positions

make / give love :wub: not war :knight:  .... yeah yeah, my age is showing :P

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

I love CM, but I'd have no problem if the movie stays under WWs dom, ...

CM is over WW ww

Aquaman might be over CM ww, but is under CM in dom

All 3 movies would be over and under in dom or ww, every fan who looks for that, can be happy about at least one of the positions

make / give love :wub: not war :knight:  .... yeah yeah, my age is showing :P

You are amazing. I don't want to use gif but last time, I promise. 

qeJvlsgLLFYSGIQ

Edited by Matthew

3 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Dumbo is not a flop yet. if it has horrid holds and fails to break even than we can talk flop. but now it;s too early. Also, Poppins ins't a flop either. 130M x 2.5 = 325M needed to break even. it made 348.8M. Flop doesn't even break even. MPR was a disappointment but not a flop. 

• Like 1