CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

Anyone else feels like this should have actually been the first movie of the spin offs? Like Dumbledore/ Grindenwald should have always been the focus of it all. Don't get me wrong Newt is a charming character but should have been a supporting one. And others (*cough* Jacob *cough*) should not exist at all. I mean, while the first Wizarding war, is an exciting story to tell,  using Newt and Fantastic Beasts as the starting point was a bad idea no matter if it has importance in the next installment . Could still be developed as a sub-pllt with just Newt and Tina, without taking from what the audiences actually care for. Plus, it would be more coherent. 

4 hours ago, grim22 said:

My wife's a HUGE Potter fan, all the books, illustrated editions, movies, merch etc. Even watched the reunion at midnight when it dropped. She watched the first 2 Fantastic Beasts movies on OD.

She has no interest in watching this one at all after the last one. The franchise feels like an obligation to her at this point.

One more can't hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Anyone else feels like this should have actually been the first movie of the spin offs? Like Dumbledore/ Grindenwald should have always been the focus of it all. Don't get me wrong Newt is a charming character but should have been a supporting one. And others (*cough* Jacob *cough*) should not exist at all. I mean, while the first Wizarding war, is an exciting story to tell,  using Newt and Fantastic Beasts as the starting point was a bad idea no matter if it has importance in the next installment . Could still be developed as a sub-pllt with just Newt and Tina, without taking from what the audiences actually care for. Plus, it would be more coherent. 

The franchise always seemed as if WB did a ‘reverse avengers’ and started it off with the crossover event rather than expand (and profit) from two possibly distinct and interesting franchises. We could’ve had: 

Fantastic Beasts - an adventure franchise about an explorer discovering and protecting new creatures

Magic Detectives - doing magic police shit

They could’ve done a crossover after the first or second film for both franchises which would’ve kicked off the whole ‘Gridelwald’ saga. Instead we have a film called “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” with the answer to that question being “the magical world of Macy’s NY department store because we need to tell this random Grindlewald police story”.

7 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Ive not said it was the sole reason but youd have to have been living under a rock for the last few years to not see all the backlash created in firing Johnny. It would have had some contribution, even if just a small one

Twitter and YouTube are not real life. I could just as easily claim that the backlash against J.K. Rowling is hurting the movie, but I don’t believe that either. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WeThrones said:

So what are box office predictions for this movie at this point?

Me personally. I think this hitting $100M domestic qualifies as proof of God's existence.

Feel like this is all leading to the inevitable.

Not The Cursed Child but Harry Potter Returns. Their equivalent to The Force Awakens (if Luke, Han and Leia remained the leads). Can't not imagine that happening within the next 3-4 years.

While I liked the film and it's an improvement on COG, I think the Wizarding World franchise would benefit from new creatives behind the camera for future films but I'm not sure if Warner Bros would be willing to ask Heyman and Rowling to replace Yates and/or bring in another screenwriter. 

34 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

While I liked the film and it's an improvement on COG, I think the Wizarding World franchise would benefit from new creatives behind the camera for future films but I'm not sure if Warner Bros would be willing to ask Heyman and Rowling to replace Yates and/or bring in another screenwriter. 

I think it's a done deal that Yates is going to retire from the WW franchise. 

Glad you liked the film!

While Yates direction is tired, I do think a decent bunch of the problems stem from JK Rowling doing the screenwriting as writing a script and writing a book are two different things. As this has been like three movies, and the reception hasn’t lit the world a fire. Just have her be an executive producer

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

While Yates direction is tired, I do think a decent bunch of the problems stem from JK Rowling doing the screenwriting as writing a script and writing a book are two different things. As this has been like three movies, and the reception hasn’t lit the world a fire. Just have her be an executive producer

As much as I think it'd good for WB to kick her upstairs, I imagine it would be very difficult for them to try it. A compromise would be for Rowling to come up with an outline or the idea and let a screenwriter do the rest much like how Jack Thorne wrote the Cursed Child script but the idea came from him, John Tiffany and Rowling. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

As much as I think it'd good for WB to kick her upstairs, I imagine it would be very difficult for them to try it. A compromise would be for Rowling to come up with an outline or the idea and let a screenwriter do the rest much like how Jack Thorne wrote the Cursed Child script but the idea came from him, John Tiffany and Rowling. 

Yes, that famously worked out very well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Rowling, as long as she approves the final script and the outline for the story so there are no inconsistencies with her universe...then all is good. 

She wrote a script with McGonagall already a teacher at Hogwarts in the last movie. 

17 minutes ago, grim22 said:

She wrote a script with McGonagall already a teacher at Hogwarts in the last movie. 

That's the least of the problems in that movie. It's a non-issue in my mind. It was never stated in the books when she was born as far as I remember, but if it indeed was in a small paragraph or on freaking Pottermore, it would be such a minor retcon you'd think people would have better things to do than complain about it. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This whole thing with McGonagall is based on assumptions made by fans over pieces of information she gave in the books and Pottermore. She never actually said what McGonagall's birthday is.

This article shows that with what is previously known, McGonagall's presence in CoG can be explained:

https://www.mugglenet.com/2021/06/a-young-minerva-mcgonagall-in-crimes-of-grindelwald-doesnt-break-canon/

I will seriously laugh if the next movie is not the last. This series is literally dying, it's going the same path as the Divergent film franchise and they didn't even make it to their last movie. 

Major drops each movie, falling critical reception, and the controversies whether you agree with them or not pile on every two years as we wait for the next sequel. It's over, WB. Even if the last two movies were somehow amazing, audiences won't even give them the opportunity anymore - we've seen that with everyone franchise with a similar trajectory.