CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

1 hour ago, WeThrones said:

Anyone knows how many views the first trailer for Crimes of Grindelwald had in the first 24 hours?

I am asking this because trailer on main channel was 1.2 million views so far. I don't know if that's good or bad lol

I don’t have any comps to COG but if you want a more recent trailer, Across the Spiderverse did about 8.5M on the main channel (Sony) in the first 24 hours. I don’t recall the views after 5-ish hours (where SOD is right now) but I think it was about 3-4x higher than where this is right now. 

• Like 2

At least reactions are generally quite positive.

Mikkelsen just looks leagues better than Depp...thank God Depp's idea of having the chromatic (?) eye is toned down...that looked so goofy. Grindelwald looks much more menacing and charismatic here.

• Like 2

I haven't been on here for ages. It took a new Fantastic Beasts movie to return.

The film looks spectacular and, dare I say, rather adventurous? It seems to be quite rich in locations, that is to say I suspect the plot is centered around travelling to various places...  which I am surprised to say I'm thrilled about after the messy structure and moving around parts of Crimes of Grindelwald. However somehow I've got a feeling the structure will work better in this installment, partially thanks to the extra production time and the involvement of Steve Kloves. The train sequence also gave off a "cozy" sort of Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express vibe to me. 

The trailer seemed somewhat lighter in tone than I'd expected, but from the comments on here I guess it's just cut that way for the Christmas season. However I did rewatch the trailer for Crimes of Grindelwald and immediately noticed that the recent film seems to look less desaturated in comparison. That's for you ungrateful folks on Reddit who still complain about how dull, desaturated and uninspired these movies supposedly look! 😎 As far as I'm concerned the colours should be suitably muted to fit the dark content, and I got no problems whatsoever with the colours in the trailer. Some people also seem to forget how (perfectly) muted Prisoner of Azkaban actually is, which is often hailed as the best Wizarding World movie. Please give Yates the same amount of respect.

It's evidently a Yates film what's with all the straight on shots. Some people don't like the style, but I still find it pretty elegant in how clean it looks for the most part. Add in some stunning wide shots and I think the cinematography in the trailer delivers. It's possible, as suggested by someone over at Reddit, that the pandemic forced more close ups of just select characters in the frame rather than showing all characters together in wider shots. But if it did, it seems to be done gracefully in line with Yates' preferences for symmetry and straight on shots. 

Not to end on a negative note, but I have no idea why they bothered with recasting such a forgettable character as Yusuf Kama. He was among the worst parts of Crimes of Grindelwald, a movie I still think is decent despite its flaws, but please get rid of the excess fat in terms of plotting. In that regard I'm almost happy that the parts of Nagini, the faithful follower of Grindelwald from the prison escape (whose name I can't remember) and Tina were all either cut or reduced significantly for non-artistic reasons. That should probably work wonders of making this chapter seem less crowded with characters.  

All in all looking forward to April 😀

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Decent trailer, esp towards the end. Already looks better than the second movie. Bot a fan of them introducing many new characters 3rd movie into the franchise, its just confusing. I would have preferred a straight dumbledore vs grindlewald movie without any of the fantastic beasts nonsense but I guess I can live with it. 

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Last one came out so long ago that my wife thinks Mads Mikkelsen is a new character..and not Grindelwald...

Not surprising.  It's hilarious that they don't even care that the actors match looks at all -- but Warners is in a tough spot here -- if they made-up Mikkelsen, the Depp comparisons would be even louder, I guess...  

6 hours ago, Fox20 said:

It just feels like two movies together, the fantastic beasts part just does not fit with the overall plot and that has been the entire problem.

Well... the "overall plot" should have been (and was) Fantastic Beasts, from the beginning on... but Warners seemingly got cold feet even with the performance of the first film...now they're just full-on embracing Potter-dom to help this thing survive!  

Edited by Macleod

13 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Well... the "overall plot" should have been (and was) Fantastic Beasts, from the beginning on... but Warners seemingly got cold feet even with the performance of the first film...now they're just full-on embracing Potter-dom to help this thing survive!  

I think it was the right decision to center it around the beasts in the first movie. Although it didn't always connect elegantly with the Credence/Grindelwald plot line, you could make the argument that Credence was a fantastic beast too! So thematically it worked on paper. 

However moving forward I'd just wished they would have dropped Fantastic Beasts from the title and focused exclusively on the Grindelwald war. It was a bit awkward how they tried to shoehorn the beasts into the second movie which was already a complicated narrative without the beasts. Why they simply didn't go for different titles for each movie under the Wizarding World brand is beyond me. I mean they were clever enough to include Wizarding World in the logo, which was just perfect from a marketing POV, but failed to follow up in the actual titles. 

Edited by TheBigYawn
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, TheBigYawn said:

Without spoiling much, how does the plot compare to the previous two films? 

It's all about execution and what's good on paper might not be what's good on screen, but I found the overall plot to be more exciting and engaging - an interesting political story, and beasts having a meaningful role this time to the overall plot unlike Crimes. If they pull it off well, it should be much better than CoG and better than FB1. 

This is definitely more streamlined and the plot is a lot clearer to follow with only a couple of scenes that go into backstory/lore (and from the trailer, I think you can judge which ones). Dumbledore and Grindelwald take center stage.

Bunty seems to have been given Tina's role since Waterston was barely able to film. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rogerio said:

I know some of you read the leaks .. 

Can someone tell me if this film has a big battle in its third act?

Yes.

The third act is basically a confrontation, but if you mean one single scene that revolves around battling - then yes.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the first movie and was looking forward to what came next; and then I watched CoG. Man was I disappointed in that movie and it made me not really care about what was coming next. 

However, after watching this trailer I think I’m back in lol. It just looks a lot better than I thought it would. I’m hopeful that’s the case. 

What happened to Waterston? Was she not available for the movie or something? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBigYawn said:

Without spoiling much, how does the plot compare to the previous two films? 

For me plot feels like what Part II should've been. 

I feel it's more focused than both FB1 and FB2. I don't know how interesting the main plot really is, you saw it in description of the movie, it will depend on the execution and characters, but it's not convoluted at all. 

I don't think anyone will hate this movie. It will 100% be better recieved than Part II, but overall it won't be anything special based on those leaks. 

• Thanks 1