cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

1 hour ago, AdrianL said:

Movies can co exist in December. I don't think Avatar will be like NWH and everything else will make pennies. 

They refuse to let Avatar 2 to have December all for its own. Anyway, it was not like first Avatar had the entire holiday season for its own in 2009 anyway, both Sherlock homes and Alvin and Chipmunks did 200m+ 

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

WB saw how well NWH did last Dec and they WANT some of that $$$.

WB already had Aquaman II slated in December 2022 plus the original Aquaman was also in December and earned more than a billion worldwide. They were well aware of the lucrative December window prior to NWH's success..

They knew they have to have a release in Dec so while Aquaman II is not ready, they pulled Shazam earlier.

2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

WB already had Aquaman II slated in December 2022 plus the original Aquaman was also in December and earned more than a billion worldwide. They were well aware of the lucrative December window prior to NWH's success..

They knew they have to have a release in Dec so while Aquaman II is not ready, they pulled Shazam earlier.

Even if they want to some money from December crowd, but must they go head-to-head with A2? Why not 23 Dec? Not a bad choice, arguably slightly better date too 

It's just wild to me how people on this site view Avatar 2.

Has Cameron ever had a huge opening weekend? Why on earth would a film be scared of going head to head with it? Whether it ends up making less in total or not, these films will barely affect each other.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Has Cameron ever had a huge opening weekend? Why on earth would a film be scared of going head to head with it? Whether it ends up making less in total or not, these films will barely affect each other.

People on the avatar thread are talking about 4 billion and what not, nonsense.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChipDerby said:

Avatar opened to 77m 3day... T2 had the 2nd biggest opening ever at the time...

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I actually think Shazam 2 will be less impacted by Avatar as Aquaman would’ve been. 

Shazam could be good counter programming and play well over the holidays. 

Exactly.   

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

The difference, valid or not, is that many folks aren't expecting a super-massive-unprecedented-leggy run ala Titanic/Avatar, but more like an established frontloaded franchise.  It can still get monster totals in the wintertime, as both TFA and NWH showed, but just that it will likely be more upfront concentrated simply due to being an anticipated sequel to a pre-existing property.

The issue w/ Aquaman is its fantasy aesthetics (and its color pallet tbh) are pretty similar to Avatar's, and despite the first movie being a financial success it was far less of a critical darling. Shazam however makes for a little more variety in the December slate having a more grounded aesthetic, and it won't be as much of an inevitable comparison.

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

The difference, valid or not, is that many folks aren't expecting a super-massive-unprecedented-leggy run ala Titanic/Avatar, but more like an established frontloaded franchise.  It can still get monster totals in the wintertime, as both TFA and NWH showed, but just that it will likely be more upfront concentrated simply due to being an anticipated sequel to a pre-existing property.

But that's not really based on anything. Yes, Avatar had incredible legs 13 years ago, but a lot of that was due to it becoming a Titanic "we have to go see this movie everyone is seeing" rather than a "holy cow this is the best movie ever". Yes, it can very well open big, but I'm pegging it at topping out at around $100 mil OW. Which would be tremendous for it.

Avatar is obviously gonna open big and make a lot it money but that doesn’t really matter cause more then one movie can survive over the holidays.

I don’t think it’s a fantastic spot or anything but we know now no other movies are gonna be ready cause of the vfx and they needed to put something there so that was Shazam. Hopefully it can do ok against Avatar cause the first Shazam was great and deserved better imo. 

• Like 2