sfran43

The Calm Before The Storm Weekend Thread: Estimates - Curse Of LaLlorona $26.51M | Shazam $17.34M | Breakthrough 11.0M | CM $9.10M

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Well yeah, because it's clearly a lot of money left on the table if they had opened it literally elsewhere but a week before possibly the biggest OW of all time. (Nevermind that they didn't market it as a Conjuring franchise film....... or that, apparently, it wasn't very good, although wom might not be terrible if we take CinemaScore seriously. Its opening is impressive, all in all, but it'll be lucky to make 2x that number.)

Budget is a reported $9M.  It's already a win. 

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I imagine the LA location it's playing at did most of the heavy lifting since there was a Q&A with Andrew Garfield in person over the weekend.

Ouch. Poor Elle Fanning.

She found love in a hopless place.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

But in money, and it is a box office prediction, it was much further off on La Llorona :) 

Measuring absolute $ instead of % makes no sense, CM was the biggest miss.

9 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And it could've been a much bigger win. Why be happy with a DOM total potentially O/U The Nun's OW when you could've been a 100M player?

I don’t think WB/New Line were expecting a Nun type film given it’s not connected to the Conjuring film, if it holds well enough it’ll likely get a sequel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don’t think WB/New Line were expecting a Nun type film given it’s not connected to the Conjuring film, if it holds well enough it’ll likely get a sequel.

I think it has been mentioned that it is connected to the Conjuring franchise. And even if it wasn't, the popularity of the mythology + the demographics it serves make it a wasted opportunity to make a hell of a lot more money than the big lot it already made. Last year, when buzz was hot for this, a lot of us were making 100M+ predicts and with reason.

It's a hit, yes, but it could have been so much bigger.

23 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And it could've been a much bigger win. Why be happy with a DOM total potentially O/U The Nun's OW when you could've been a 100M player?

Well by most accounts the movie is garbage so I'd take that win and be happy that I put out something most people didn't like and still came away with millions in profit. 

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

The Conjuring's name has such power right now. It was able to propel La Llorona to a very strong WW opening and they only sold it as "From the producers of The Conjuring Universe".