Eric Lasagna

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Rocketman could do well but the runtime could be a factor. 

It's a shame Shazam dropped so hard but it wasn't a shock. WB knew it would a risk scheduling it before such an event. It'll still get a sequel nonetheless.

Have we learned nothing from this weekend. Runtimes will not affect box office. If the demand is there, theaters will increase supply.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

While we wait for Endgame actuals, here is my early TROS predictions....

$42m previews
$56m Friday
$63m Saturday
$53m Sunday

$214m OW

Jeeesus too low. I know TLJ is a piece of... but I hope for a 230/40M OW 

• Sad 1

Ive been saying it for years, EP8 will drop by one third from EP7 (it did), and EP9 will recover half that loss. Why do I say that? Because that's exactly what happened with the other 2 SW trilogies.  The only question is the opening, where it stands a chance of beating EP7, but likely wont.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Sam said:

I’m sorry 

giphy.gif

Sam im out of likes but imagine one considering that im just staring at this gif for 7 minutes now with many more minutes to come

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Box Office Freak said:

I wonder what the industry is thinking about Endgame's box office...

What kind of copycats will this movie inspire?

Only studio that had the source material to copy it made JL. So yeah, not gonna happen. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

$112M Saturday it appears.

Also estimates 40 million admissions for Endgame this weekend.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/04/28/box-office-avengers-endgame-opens-with-galactus-sized-358-million-weekend/#48682ac1a692

Sunday drop looks too high at 20%+.  With AIW's drop it would bout $5m at around $363.

Also, not sure where's he's getting the $1.1b WW numbers

1 minute ago, Fullbuster said:

Damn brutal.

OS weekend for CM gonna be brutal too, the international markets don’t have much of a spillover effect concept.

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

I think that Godzilla may be getting some IMAX screens back in its 3rd week if DP really underperforms. IMAX just wants money as well after all.

Unless I'm mistaken, early tracking for both those films is roughly the same. I think both are going to be duds and hit with about 50M OW. If I'm right, Godzilla won't be getting back IMAX screens for its 3rd weekend.

Just now, Avatree said:

after TLJ response plus Solo, it's extremely naive to think TROS won't be impacted. You think it's going to open higher than TLJ?

In this moment I don't know. The first teaser is not good but the fanservice is strong in  JJ. Could be a factor, in positive way 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Sunday drop looks too high at 20%+.  With AIW's drop it would bout $5m at around $363.

Also, not sure where's he's getting the $1.1b WW numbers

disney remember ? it will have bigger sunday

49 minutes ago, jaybox said:

To all the DC haters here saying 

”DC can’t this and can’t that.” The problem with DC was never their characters. They have just as many intriguing characters as Marvel, and 2 of the most iconic heroes ever/historically. DC is being held captive by WB who weren’t patient and who didn’t have a plan and didn’t hire the right people (IE they should’ve hired the DC animated team to work on the film universe with a Feige esque figure quarterbacking it. They hired..*gulp* - Zack Snyder).DC can still deliver really good to great movies that are well received critically (WW and Shazam) and commercially(Aquabro) but the ship sailed in terms of competing with Marvel’s Cinematic Universe.  MCU got bought by Disney and Disney basically said “have at it.” Marvel Studios, thru bumps and bruises early and some stumbling?  Stayed the course and it paid off repeatedly by stayjng true to what they planned. And they got RDJ as the glue and delivered solid casting across the board. 

TBF to Warner Bros, they weren't the only ones trying it. 

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Have we learned nothing from this weekend. Runtimes will not affect box office. If the demand is there, theaters will increase supply.

Different situation to Endgame and it's opening the same weekend as Godzilla. 

Just astonishing. It broke record by $100 million for now. This record will never be broken. They will never be another movie that will gross this much in a 3 day weekend. 

No inflation, no ticket prices will surpass this. If my calculations are correct, this is like Spider Man grossing $250 million in 2001 to come to this amount of money. First movie to break $100+ million in three day weekend. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

after TLJ response plus Solo, it's extremely naive to think TROS won't be impacted. You think it's going to open higher than TLJ?

At the time of its release, I can’t think of a worse received or worse reviewed film than Attack of the Clones.  And ROTS still followed the “Star Wars Pattern.”

Granted, it featured the birth of Darth Vader.  But you guys are kidding yourselves if you don’t think there are more people out there who loved TLJ than Clones.  Lots of people really love TLJ.  (Including the critics, who actually admire it as a work of film—unlike Episode II).

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 2

Sunday Morning Update

Sunday:
Sold Out: 58
Other showings at 80%+ capacity: 4
Total Showings: 101 (7 other showings at 50%+ capacity)

Better than Fridays morning update, heading for another explosive day.

TFA comparison Sunday Dec. 20, 2015

BJ wrote:
Early Sunday Tally

Sold Out: 18
Showings: 77

Gargantuan for Sunday in December (or any time of year on 2nd thought), a number of shows that are already at between 75-85% capacity that will most likely be sellouts tomorrow as well.

Edited by B J
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 3

8 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Jeeesus too low. I know TLJ is a piece of... but I hope for a 230/40M OW 

Quantum of Solace, AoU and TWD were piece of...  Look how their direct sequels did. The trick is in previews. casual fans are forgiving. give them attention grabbing preview, whether due to money shots or emotional content or both, and they'll eat it up and get hyped. Of course, it's easier said than done but Skyfall, Ragnarok and IW had stellar marketing that made people forget about shitty previous movies. And I'd say that IW had double the task cause CW was sort of TA 2.5 and had the worst legs of MCU movies or close. I adore CW but I'm aware that legs were shit. so it really looked like one-two punch of declining team up movies was a sign of fatigue. Well, nope. IW bounced back like nobody's business. the ball is now in TROS marketing court. I've no clue how the teaser is received cause I didn't get it 2 times I saw EG. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1