Eric Lasagna

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

33 minutes ago, BK007 said:

I may be misunderstanding why those movies did well but I'm certainly not trying to undermine EG boxoffice. therefore, no need to write a Great Wall of Text over fundamentally understanding another poster's post. 

To be fair, most of Sunday’s gross will be during the morning/afternoon time period. Sunday nights aren’t box office friendly unless Monday is a holiday.

13 minutes ago, doublejack said:

There is absolutely no way 1 Billion people even know a minor fact about GoT, such as a character name or an event that happened. I sincerely doubt the global audience is even 1/10th that size.

HBO shows in particular seem to be bigger than they truly are. Take The Sopranos. It was a fairly popular show, with ratings in the same range as GoT gets. Does anyone even care about Sopranos anymore? Certainly nobody talks about it. I had to google the show's name because I couldn't recall exactly what it was, I just remember it being about a mob boss. HBO is really good at generating buzz in the media, but that doesn't reflect their shows' actual audience or influence.

Queue the articles about "oh, whatever will HBO do when GoT ends?". HBO breaks those out every time they wind down a series. Not that many people really care, and the network will just move on with a new show for their fans to eat up.

I know, right? Nobody talks about that show with the redhead from the ‘50s either.

5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is the AT&T and Time Warner deal really any worse than Comcast owning NBCUniversal? I’m not saying the deal shouldn’t be concerning, but as far as I can tell, it has no real bearing on the film industry specifically, which is what I was referring to when I mentioned that Disney is becoming a monopoly. 

Not on the cinema industry, but with cable dying and streaming taking over, a big part of the movie and TV industry are Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Google. With WB/Universal/Disney/Apple all close to launching their own streaming service. The thought of AT&T and Comcast being allowed to throttle your internet when you don’t watch their service because of no net neautrality is terrifying. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, doublejack said:

Queue the articles about "oh, whatever will HBO do when GoT ends?". HBO breaks those out every time they wind down a series. Not that many people really care, and the network will just move on with a new show for their fans to eat up.

They've got a lot of great stuff lined up just this year. His Dark Materials, Watchmen, Righteous Gemstones. Limited series like Chernobyl, Catherine The Great, Years And Years

Not even counting stuff that's upcoming/TBD like Lovecraft Country, The New Pope, The Plot Against America, Perry Mason, the next JJ Abrams show Demimonde, and especially the GoT spinoffs

After the first years of Sopranos when nobody thought there'd be anything else, came Six Feet Under. A year later came The Wire. When those were winding down, came Deadwood. When all of those were done came The Leftovers. When that was done came Vice Principals

HBO will be fine because HBO always is. Others wish they had that talent 

25 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Comic-con 2019 for Marvel could be big with Phase 4 reveals. 

I got tickets for CC2019, first time I ever managed it. But only for the Sunday, so all the reveals will be done by then I imagine. 😞

4 minutes ago, Sindreee said:

Not on the cinema industry, but with cable dying and streaming taking over, a big part of the movie and TV industry are Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Google. With WB/Universal/Disney/Apple all close to launching their own streaming service. The thought of AT&T and Comcast being allowed to throttle your internet when you don’t watch their service because of no net neautrality is terrifying. 

Well, the net neutrality thing wouldn’t have been an issue if the DoJ wasn’t so insistent on killing net neutrality, while simultaneously trying to thwart the merger between AT&T and Time Warner, yet conveniently giving the Disney and Fox deal a pass just because it benefits Trump’s buddy. 

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Marvel was fast

Okay, this is cute but where’s my OW record hand-off poster aka picture of Feige congratulating himself? 

• Haha 7

The 'Avengers' series is making box office history as a franchise in itself, having broken the all-time opening weekend record again, for the third time. The Avengers was the first film to make over $200M on opening weekend; Infinity War the first film to break $250M; and now Endgame is the first film to make over $300M and $350M.

I have looked back at dominant franchises across the modern history of box office before, and now Avengers joins other franchises that have also set the opening weekend record 3+ times:

Star Wars (has set the 3-day opening weekend record 3 times)

• Star Wars (1978 re-release) — 10.2 million (opening weekend record in a re-release! Obviously a different era of film, but still…)
  • Return of the Jedi (1983) — 23.0 million (a 60% increase from the previous record holder, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - the largest percentage increase from the previous opening weekend record, looking back to 1975 at least)
  • The Force Awakens (2015) — 248.0 million

Jurassic Park (has set the record 3 times)

• Jurassic Park (1993) — 47.0 million
  • The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997) — 72.1 million (a 36.6% increase from the previous record holder, Batman Forever)
  • Jurassic World (2015) — 208.8 million

Batman (has set the record 4 times)

• Batman (1989) — 40.5 million (an increase of 37.4% from the previous record holder, Ghostbusters II)
  • Batman Returns (1992) — 45.7 million (this, Jaws II, and now Endgame are the only films in modern box office history to beat a record held by its predecessor)
  • Batman Forever (1995) — 52.8 million (first film to hit the 50M mark)
  • The Dark Knight (2008) — 158.4 million

And now:

Avengers (has set the record 3 times)

• The Avengers (2012) — 207.4 million (first film to hit the 200M mark)
  • Avengers: Infinity War (2018)257.7 million (first film to hit the 250M mark)
  • Avengers: Endgame (2019)350.0 million (first film to hit the 300M & 350M mark; beats a record held by its predecessor; a 35.9% increase from the previous record - or more, depending on actuals)

As I’ve mentioned before, records are made to be broken, and franchises have a history of one upping each other on opening weekend. Superman II (1981) bested Star Trek’s (1979) record, followed by Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (1982) wresting the opening weekend record back the following year. The year after, Return of the Jedi (1983) took the record with a whopping 60% increase.

In the 90s, Batman Returns (1992) set a new record (besting its predecessor), followed by Jurassic Park in ’93; Batman Forever taking it back in ’95; and then again The Lost World taking it back in ’97.

Star Trek, then, has taken the opening weekend record twice, as has Jaws (in the 70s) and Indiana Jones (in the 80s; Temple of Doom bested Return of the Jedi’s record and The Last Crusade later set a new record as well). The Spider-Man and Harry Potter franchises have each taken the record twice too. (Spider-Man may very well have set the record 3 times if Spider-Man 2 had not opened on a Wednesday.)

Since 1975, the longest period of time an opening weekend record has stood is essentially 4 years. Those were:

• 1997 to 2001 — record set by The Lost World: Jurassic Park in 1997 held until 4 years later in 2001 when Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone set the new record
  • 2002 to 2006 — record set by Spider-Man in 2002 held until 4 years later in 2006 when Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest set the new record

Therefore, historically, we’ve never gone an overly long amount of time until a new record is set. Will Endgame be an exception? How long will Endgame’s record last? Can a film in the next four years best it?

Peace,

Mike

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

People were dismissing it as a nothingburger thats why. Its bigger than Endgame, people need to face it. Games also have significantly bigger opening weeks than movies now, people need to remember other mediums exist.

I don't give a flying f for Game of Thrones may having an impact on Endgame or not or vice versa. I also don't care if Call of Duty or The Division 2 or Fifa 2068 make more money on their release date than Endgame on its OW. You know why that is? It is because this here is neither TV-central.com nor game-informer.net, it is the box-office theory forums. When I care for opening day revenues of games (I do not dispite being a "gamer"), I go to the respective places in the internet. This here is about movies, not games and surely not Game of Thrones. So my apologies if I couldn't care less for your antics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Nothing to do with the daily mail. Its based on all known legal estimates and illegal sources, total (not just live). Regardless of whether its true or not, its a huge show.

Enough with this GoT man.... Enough !!! GoT has more fans than MCU and is the masterpiece... Happy now 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, doublejack said:

There is absolutely no way 1 Billion people even know a minor fact about GoT, such as a character name or an event that happened. I sincerely doubt the global audience is even 1/10th that size.

HBO shows in particular seem to be bigger than they truly are. Take The Sopranos. It was a fairly popular show, with ratings in the same range as GoT gets. Does anyone even care about Sopranos anymore? Certainly nobody talks about it. I had to google the show's name because I couldn't recall exactly what it was, I just remember it being about a mob boss. HBO is really good at generating buzz in the media, but that doesn't reflect their shows' actual audience or influence.

Jesus, its more than 1/10th of that live! Its similcast in over 170 countries because of the fear of piracy. In the UK its giving Sky its biggest ever overnight audience, and doubles it after 2 more days. Why are people so blind to how big it is?

HBOs US audience is a tiny fraction of the total.

The Sopranos was nothing outside the US.

Edited by GirafficPark
  • Haha 1