sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Silly flop Endgame can't even become the biggest 2nd weekend ever after smashing the OW record. CRUMBLING  

If EG does miss the second weekend record after setting the biggest OW record by almost $100M, it will make people wonder exactly how front loaded the film is. Did people who normally would attend a third or fourth weekend showing decide to see it during the first weekend instead? Was the first weekend dominated by fanboys who saw it multiple times? Is the running time holding back repeat viewings in subsequent weekends?

Also, how much are PLFs driving the gross? Apart from the very late night shows (11 PM and later), the PLFs around me are as busy this weekend as they were last weekend. If people cannot see it on a PLF, are they waiting until they can?

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Why would IT 2 drop $130m+?? Pennywise is still an iconic character, and it's not like the property is forgotten about in that regard. Also, it's the second half of the story, why would more than 1/3 of the audience choose to skip it? 

I won't agree with numbers yet but will agree with the fact that it will drop. 30% it could, but I will wait fir trailer.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

deadline said that friday is 41.2 and they updated their w without saturday numbers to 148.5 

just thought that maybe you would like to know

I think they have access to the same numbers, but BOM's reported numbers are the safest bet now, until sunday with updated estimates that we sometimes get. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

don't underestimate Toy Story 4. Especially if it ends up as good as the other movies

Ron Howard: “It didn’t.”

I love the original trilogy so I’m still going to see it, but I have zero expectations.

Edited by TServo2049

Just now, tawasal said:

Charlie basically answers for me. What contributed to those movies box office success was due to their uniqueness and originality, but repeating that same formula might not be enough, they have to be better than both of their previous movies and put something refreshingly new to the table for the audience to chew on for repeated viewings. 

It Chapter 2 has an all new cast, so I don't know how much of the formula they'd be repeating. Also using that metric, wouldn't Lion King and Aladdin be bombs since they're pretty much just the previous movies but with a new coat of paint?

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Why would IT 2 drop $130m+?? Pennywise is still an iconic character, and it's not like the property is forgotten about in that regard. Also, it's the second half of the story, why would more than 1/3 of the audience choose to skip it? 

It was riding on the same formula that made Stranger Things successful. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

November/December do look soft this year aside from the two Disney megablockbusters (and to a smaller extent Jumanji) on paper.

Doctor Sleep could surprise i think

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

It Chapter 2 has an all new cast, so I don't know how much of the formula they'd be repeating. Also using that metric, wouldn't Lion King and Aladdin be bombs since they're pretty much just the previous movies but with a new coat of paint?

We have something to compare to those movies. They are more comparable to movies such as Jurassic Park or Star Wars in the nostalgia area. 

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

IT released 24 months before, the other two are 24 years.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I was on same level before trailer but trailer did trick for me.

I need to see that trailer again to refresh my hype. 

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

what you mean? Have people have seen it?

No, I just felt like that was begging for the Arrested Development narrator meme.

As I said, in reality I have no expectations, good or bad. This one’s a giant question mark for me, which will only be answered once I actually see it.

Edited by TServo2049

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

IT released 24 months before, the other two are 24 years.

I don't know, I just don't see how it could drop by more than 1/3 of its gross on the second and final film. People said my sub-$200m prediction for Aladdin was low, but sub-$200m for the follow-up to a well-liked surprise hit that did $330m really does seem too low.