sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If Endgame were headed for a BvS style drop I could understand some of these reactions but it isn't. It's a raving success. I'm just pissed that it is harming a great film like Shazam. 

I have not seen Shazam. I have given up on DC after JL. Did not see Aquaman either. But I hope to check it out on streaming.

11 minutes ago, Menor said:

Guess we might have to settle for only beating Avatar. What a flop. A truly disastrous underperformance after the opening weekend, unaccountably bad legs. Feige must go!

Bob Iger going to get his Kevin Feige’s tattoo removed tomorrow.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Under, if the lower end of Rth's numbers holds.

I'm frankly pretty shocked.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I give EG 40% chance for new record, 3 hour runtime could see steeper decline Sunday

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

If it has a Sunday drop similar to IW off of $58M, it'll get to like $145M

If it has a Sunday drop similar to IW off of $62M, it'll get to $152M 

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I have not seen Shazam. I have given up on DC after JL. Did not see Aquaman either. But I hope to check it out on streaming.

Shazam's great. Would be surprised if it didn't remain the best solo superhero film of the year. And I haaate the Snyder DC stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Shazam's great. Would be surprised if it didn't remain the best solo superhero film of the year. And I haaate the Snyder DC stuff.

I did want to see it after seeing good reviews. But with 2 kids my weekend is incredibly busy to take a 3 hour Multiplex trip. For Avengers, my wife surprisingly said she wanted to see it and so it was a family trip.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If Endgame were headed for a BvS style drop I could understand some of these reactions but it isn't. It's a raving success. I'm just pissed that it is harming a great film like Shazam. 

Some people are rooting for t to get the domestic record and this puts a damper on that 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I did want to see it after seeing good reviews. But with 2 kids my weekend is incredibly busy to take a 3 hour Multiplex trip. For Avengers, my wife surprisingly said she wanted to see it and so it was a family trip.

It should still be around next weekend (at least most places) - it is a great film, and my kids loved it:)...

I wish I could feel super happy for Captain Marvel's success outside of laughing at the dudebros who wanted it to fail but it's such a weak and sloppy MCU entry. Carol Danvers is a bland action woman right now and I hope they give her more of a personality going forward. Oh well, at least Endgame was sensational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shazam seems like a very enjoyable movie for kids, or families that include kids.  My wife and I saw it alone (we don't have children), and could see where the appeal would be, but would rather have used our time some other way, even just at home catching up on a show or two we have recorded.

Wow at all these comments. Lol. 

Yeah I’m pretty sure that going forward I’m only coming here for RTH/Jatinder updates then bouncing. 

EG is beating Avatar. All other records are pointless and irrelevant. Stop crying. 

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 3

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I wish I could feel super happy for Captain Marvel's success outside of laughing at the dudebros who wanted it to fail but it's such a weak and sloppy MCU entry. Carol Danvers is a bland action woman right now and I hope they give her more of a personality going forward. Oh well, at least Endgame was sensational.

I actually liked Captain Marvel a lot, but Marvel usually does learn from its hiccups and missteps and changes things moving forward

Captain Marvel 2 will likely be wild.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Nova said:

But I thought Disney didn't force theaters into situations like this :sadno:

??? why would you think that, they are in my POV a rather pushy company

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nova said:

There is a mob mentality and I think it 100% stems from a rise in social media cause it was not like this before that (from what I remember at least) Now a days, whatever the mob says goes. So something is either good or bad; black or white. And it's not just movies either. It is crossing over into other forms of entertainment and even how folks view people. That gray area that we had, is kinda gone.

I mean you even see it on here and how folks view RT scores for example. If a movie doesn't get like 90+ on RT it is viewed as average. And if it gets below a 70 suddenly it's not good. And that goes into influencing how posters view movies on here. 

That is an absolutely silly argument without any interrogation put into it. That has literally been the way people assess things, especially other people, since the beginning of time. That is even the way people assess things in most major religions. Before it was the press who spearheaded those things. It was a national outrage when the Surgeon General, who was forced to resign as a result, stated that teenagers oughta learn about masturbation as a form of abstinence, but there was supposed to be so much “nuanced” discussion before social media? 

The fact of the matter is that social media amplified whatever has already existed within society but makes them more democratizing. Only certain people and things were subject to public ridicule before; whereas, everyone and everything is able to be subject to public ridicule now because of there not being anymore gatekeeping as a result of social media. The exposure of people or things previously protected from that type of evaluation is the real reason why you are seeing those baseless proclamations, and that is why all of those sweeping statements about social media are unreasonable. There has never been a universal grey area. 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

That is an absolutely silly argument without any interrogation put into it. That has literally been the way people assess things, especially other people, since the beginning of time. That is even the way people assess things in most major religions. Before it was the press who spearheaded those things. It was a national outrage when the Surgeon General, who was forced to resign as a result, stated that teenagers oughta learn about masturbation as a form of abstinence, but there was supposed to be so much “nuanced” discussion before social media? 

The fact of the matter is that social media amplified whatever has already existed within society but makes them more democratizing. Only certain people and things were subject to public ridicule before; whereas, everyone and everything is able to be subject to public ridicule now because of there not being anymore gatekeeping as a result of social media. The exposure of people or things previously protected from that type of evaluation is the real reason why you are seeing those baseless proclamations, and that is why all of those sweeping statements about social media are unreasonable.    

Nothing in my statement about social media is unreasonable. Social media has some great aspects to it but I don’t know how anyone can act like it hasn’t become a poison and has amplituded (which I stated in my original comment) the mob mentality. I didn’t say the mob mentality didn’t exist beforehand. I simply said it didn’t exist the way it exists today and I think that has a lot to do with social media. 

• Like 3