sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

3 minutes ago, Lancelot Gold said:

The directors said that. Are you calling them nutjobs? You could skip IW and still enjoy EG since everything important that happened in IW is explained to you.

And that's the common perception they were desperately backing away from; everyone knows that you can probably skip part one because part two fills in enough details. Promoting and releasing the films as Part I and Part II would have been a terrible handicap for Infinity War. Announcing them as such was a serious misstep, which Marvel quickly realised.

3 hours ago, Sagemode87 said:

The beautiful thing about Avatar is that it was an out of nowhere new IP. It opened up to just 70 opening weekend, wasn't part of a huge saga 12 years in the making. I'd say Avatars record is way more impressive regardless. 

Endgame will beat adjusted even with the hiked up 3d prices of Avatar.

28 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Avengers Endgame's numbers are really the worst thing to happen to this forum. It has become dick size measuring contest every day since it opened. It should have been the opposite, but it's really a toxic conversation that has no end goal. 

It's pretty awful.  I mainly lurk and seldom post, but I enjoy following the Box Office of event films, and it's fun to talk about with my wife.

But nothing about Box Office Theory has been enjoyable for this history making Endgame run.  Page after page of people demonstrating how primitive and tribal we really are a species-- deliberatly baiting, insulting, and annoying other people because they aren't rooting for the same movie.  We all participate in an incredibly obscure, niche hobby, and instead of building a community, we remain true to millions of years of our primate ancestery by flinging poop at people that aren't part of our little sub-group.

And if the tribalism wasn't depressing enough, the sheer futility of the entire enterprise is.  If you're measuring who has the most dollars, you're measuring who has the most dollars, and there's nothing to debate.  If you're using a number of dollars as a proxy to judge how commercially successful a movie is, or how much of a phenomenon it was, then you're tilting with windmills: these are multidimensional concepts that cannot ever be meaningfully reduced to a single number.  Perhaps you could build some N dimensional construct and rate movies by supplying a coordinate in that construct, or maybe a vector; but believing that a single number can accurately capture complex notions like how "important" a movie is shows what I can only interpret as a lack of serious thought about the matter.

Edited by andrewgr
typo
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Avengers Endgame's numbers are really the worst thing to happen to this forum. It has become dick size measuring contest every day since it opened. It should have been the opposite, but it's really a toxic conversation that has no end goal. 

So the opposite of "dick size measuring contest" is what again?☺️

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

It's gonna be a nightmare when Avatar 2 comes out. Or if TROS falls either side of expectations.

Me ever since Solo bombed:

tenor.gif

I have a looooooong list in that notebook. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 

Spoiler

Okay, not really. I'm far too much of an adult to keep notes like that. :lol:

Spoiler

Pardon me while I go pick one up though, when I go out in a bit.  You know... Just in case. :ph34r:

• Haha 6

There's actually a pretty straight forward reason why Endgame is outperforming other MCU movies, despite relying on them for people to follow the plot of it.  A lot more people watch MCU movies than is represented by the box office.  

Link

As of February of last year, over half of people 18-34 have seen an Avengers movie, and the numbers for the big solo franchises aren't that far behind.  Those numbers plummet in the 55+ age range, but that's still a massive share of the population to draw from (and honestly, its probably significantly higher this year than last year).  Primarily, I don't think Endgame is pulling in people who've never watched an MCU movie before, its drawing in people who usually only watch the movies on streaming/Netflix, along with I'm sure a few newbies and people who've gotten into the franchise recently due to all the hype over it since BP released.

As for how we got to this point- how Marvel became so broadly popular. The answer deserves it own post, really.  Good movies with beloved characters, solid action, humor, variety, and above all consistent and improving quality.  I think the consistency counts for a ton here.  I can't think of another franchise that has been able to match Marvel in this regard (as for studios, I would also count Pixar and WDAS in this category).  Obviously not every movie is a home run, but the worst of them are merely 'formulaic' 'bland' and so on.  People can trust when they go to see a Marvel movie, that they're going to get their money's worth.  No other franchise, not even the cultural behemoth that is Star Wars, can say that.

Furthermore, I think its underrated just how much these movies have improved over the years.  I'm not just talking about how mediocre most of the Phase One movies were.  Marvel has a villain problem?  Meet The Vulture, Killmonger, and fucking Thanos.  The soundtracks are dull and uninspired?  Maybe take a listen to Ragnarok, Black Panther, or Endgame's scores.  The movies use color poorly?  Not anymore.  Not enough diversity?  Not anymore.  One of your franchises isn't really working?  Let's give the third movie to an acclaimed comedy director!  Marvel Studios actually listens to their critics.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Oh good

The Part 1 and Part 2 debate.

:whosad::whosad::whosad:   

Spoiler

I’m out of gold, and both the sale and the Endgame craze are over, so expect  a lot more quote+faces from me now :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

:whosad::whosad::whosad:   

Hide contents

I’m out of gold, and both the sale and the Endgame craze are over, so expect  a lot more quote+faces from me now :ph34r:

It's been one month since that weekend thread? Or gold runs for less than 30 days?

Just now, VanillaSkies said:

Yikes, this thread has gone off the rails today....

Is there any numbers related news?

Do we have any early estimates for Sunday from RTH or Charlie?

I don't think we need a fanboy thread anymore

5 minutes ago, Premium George said:

It's been one month since that weekend thread? Or gold runs for less than 30 days?

Pulled the trigger March 5 for CM tracking, then re-upped April 5 in preparation for Endgame. I’ll be back with UNLIMITED POWER when we’re closer to FFH.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IceFire9yt said:

Furthermore, I think its underrated just how much these movies have improved over the years.  I'm not just talking about how mediocre most of the Phase One movies were.  Marvel has a villain problem?  Meet The Vulture, Killmonger, and fucking Thanos.  The soundtracks are dull and uninspired?  Maybe take a listen to Ragnarok, Black Panther, or Endgame's scores.  The movies use color poorly?  Not anymore.  Not enough diversity?  Not anymore.  One of your franchises isn't really working?  Let's give the third movie to an acclaimed comedy director!  Marvel Studios actually listens to their critics.

I agree with this too. They were criticized for these things and they slowly fixed it until it wasn't a problem anymore. 

There are still some people who say "BUT THE WINTER SOLDIER AND RAGNAROK ARE THE SAME MOVIEEE11!!", though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jim Shorts said:

Avatar opened to $70 mil because the east coast was hit with one of the biggest snow storms in years.

Remember that year, Oklahoma had gotten the worst blizzard in the history of the state. Pretty much shut down the state for a week. Still went and saw Avatar on Christmas Day in 2009. I really liked when it first came out, but time has not been kind to it. Not a movie deserving of the number 1 all time spot.

5 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yup, it was well on it’s way to make $180m or so if that storm hadn’t happened!

For the OD, right? Cause I am from the East coast and I remember people lining up outside theaters to watch the movie. Too bad the theaters were closed. Sad! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

For the OD, right? Cause I am from the East coast and I remember people lining up outside theaters to watch the movie. Too bad the theaters were closed. Sad! 

Midnight obviously. 

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1