sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

44 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Yes, although JP secured the #1 all-time overseas title by a good margin as well. 

Not sure if it hit #1 all-time in some of the European markets like UK/Germany?

I think it hit #1 all-time in Japan in USD but not local currency (E.T. retained that).

Depends on the way it's counted, in lc in Germany, it was #2 (only after Jungle Book (which is still #4 behind only Titanic, Avatar and TFA), about 500k above the #3 Pretty Woman).

In adm. it was #13 (now #21). No idea about dollar, but as the dollar was weaker during JP, I think in $ Pretty Woman retained #1.

Endgame in comparison pales, in admissions, it won't reach the Top 100 and in € it will probably end around #13-18.

No idea about the UK.

15 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Somebody on reddit is trying to convince me that it's 100% impossible for a movie to have more than 1-2 M higher in actuals than the studio estimates.

Saying he's a box office expert.

I'm... speechless.

It literally just happened last week-end.

That's what you get expecting quality intellectual discussion from Reddit.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Somebody on reddit is trying to convince me that it's 100% impossible for a movie to have more than 1-2 M higher in actuals than the studio estimates.

Saying he's a box office expert.

I'm... speechless.

It literally just happened last week-end.

Lmao, the only thing anyone at reddit is an expert in is shitposting, memes and fanart

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Youre funny. Cameron-Stans are going to use the whole inflation argument to ‘defend’ Endgame annihilating it at the box office. Endgame is going to hit the top 10-15 all time adjusted for inflation, in an era where there is a lot more piracy, a lot more competition, and in an era of movies coming quicker to streaming services. 

Different times HAS to be taken into consideration. Not just inflation. Growing up in the 90’s, movie industry was so much more different than now!

The beautiful thing about Avatar is that it was an out of nowhere new IP. It opened up to just 70 opening weekend, wasn't part of a huge saga 12 years in the making. I'd say Avatars record is way more impressive regardless. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

The beautiful thing about Avatar is that it was an out of nowhere new IP. It opened up to just 70 opening weekend, wasn't part of a huge saga 12 years in the making. I'd say Avatars record is way more impressive regardless. 

It's amazing that people still think that anyone can make sequels that make more money, especially the 22nd movie in a series 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jiffy said:

Yes, although JP secured the #1 all-time overseas title by a good margin as well. 

Not sure if it hit #1 all-time in some of the European markets like UK/Germany?

I think it hit #1 all-time in Japan in USD but not local currency (E.T. retained that).

Cool to hear that JP had all time OS crown as well, I don't have any knowledge in JP's global run, but it seems like a beast on its own right. Apparently it came just a few million short of of E.T domestically. 

Yeah, if Endgame does get the crown worldwide, it would be the least dominant record setter in history, but that's to be expected I guess, as global markets expand, they also diversify, and local fares are bond to become stronger. Though if history suggest anything, weaker record setters will have a shorter reign on top. 

Edited by NCsoft

Congrats to Endgame beating Titanic! To those talking **** - I hated Titanic but honestly it’s probably still the most impressive run of all time. It also was a way better movie than Avatar was. Can’t wait till Endgame Beats it, although infinity war was way better 

3 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

It's chance of getting to 3B is diminishing quite fast.

doesnt matter anymore, it will  outperform  even the most optimistic excpactions and avatar is going down something that noone would have thought

Edited by john2000

6 hours ago, RichWS said:

It would've been nearly impossible to open anything this weekend but Long Shot's marketing was atrocious.

Movies like Long Shot aren't my cup of tea, but if they were, the trailer would have done nothing to entice me to see it.  It left me with the impression that the movie is another routine schmuck-and-out-of-his-league-beauty-fall-in-love story with a loud sidekick thrown in to make an unfunny movie seem like it's funny. 

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

There is no “biggest film in America” in the concept of my post, it failed to pass titanic with 35 years of nostalgia, the end. Some people are acting like passing titanic WW is no big deal because this and that and in the next 100 years blah blah blah.

Also all these “biggest overseas”, “biggest in the U.S”, “biggest in Luxembourg” e.t.c rankings are meaningless, biggest in the WORLD is where it is at.

Star Wars was never as big overseas. It’s been more or less King in the states and up until recently the states ruled box office or I should say represented Box office the most compared to the world. I wasn’t surprised when TFA didn’t beat titanic. To be honest I’m even more impressed that a movie that opened to 357 mutha****ing million dollars is apparently (according to people on this forum) going to have some semblance of difficulty surpassing TFA’s domestic total; shows how much of a beast Star Wars and its nostalgia is/was in America. 

Edited by jaybox

11 minutes ago, aabattery said:

It's crazy how fast the top ten domestic has filled up with 600M+ grossers.

And how JW is the only one from this millennium not owned by Disney.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Depends on the way it's counted, in lc in Germany, it was #2 (only after Jungle Book (which is still #4 behind only Titanic, Avatar and TFA), about 500k above the #3 Pretty Woman).

In adm. it was #13 (now #21). No idea about dollar, but as the dollar was weaker during JP, I think in $ Pretty Woman retained #1.

Endgame in comparison pales, in admissions, it won't reach the Top 100 and in € it will probably end around #13-18.

No idea about the UK.

Yeah, looks like JP topped the UK record (more than doubling E.T. and Ghost's gross in local currency).

So that's at least two major markets (UK and Japan) it topped in USD at the time. 

not exactly , we are talking about a 357 opener here while it help bc even with worse legs you can have huge dom , at the same time it hurts a  lot as is difficult to even have decent legs and also while true tfa was release in christmas and you can see the affect from the first 3 weekends 

27 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Wow that is some revisionist history. An “out of nowhere film” ? The next Cameron film 12 years after the phenomenon that was titanic, that boasted “impressive” new technology, had an insane (by 2009 standards, hell even by today’s standards it is big) 240 million production budget and was hyped beyond belief everywhere in the world was an “out of nowhere” film ? What’s next, Avatar was similar to something like “my big fat Greek wedding” ?

Oh and it is nice to see that something that was considered a HUGE disadvantage in this forum before IW opened , the fact that it was to be the culmination of a gazillion films so it couldn’t break a certain box office ceiling because you must have watched all these films and so on and so on (the posts are still here), suddenly became a big .....advantage, again revisionist history.

Cameron’s films were phenomenons, the whole MCU is a phenomenon , the end.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Star Wars was never as big overseas. It’s been more or less King in the states and up until recently the states ruled box office or I should say represented Box office the most compared to the world. I wasn’t surprised when TFA didn’t beat titanic. To be honest I’m even more impressed that a movie that opened to 357 mutha****ing million dollars is apparently (according to people on this forum) going to have some semblance of difficulty surpassing TFA’s domestic total; shows how much of a beast Star Wars and its nostalgia is/was in America. 

not exactly , we are talking about a 357 opener here while it help bc even with worse legs you can have huge dom , at the same time it hurts a  lot as is difficult to even have decent legs and also while true tfa was release in christmas and you can see the affect from the first 3 weekends 

5 hours ago, Alli said:

I'm sad about this beating Titanic and Avatar, but we are in the era of the cbm and sequels. Long are the days where an original movie broke records. It is what it is

:therethere:

• Haha 1