Nova

Wednesday Numbers | Asgard 1: EndGame 8.4M Wed

32 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Errr, that's not how it works.  They will get a priority on AM starts and matinees maybe, but the movie that sells the most tickets will get more start generally speaking.

But they can just about play those movies twice for every one time that EG plays. Unless EG showings are double attendance or more to what DP showings are, it makes more sense to put the shorter movie in. 

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Endgame having sligtly shorter legs than expected would actually help the other May movies imo, giving them more room to breathe. So for Aladdin, Godzilla and Co. this is actually kind of good news.

• Like 3

Just an FYI but at least in my area, when Pikachu expanded in terms of showtimes, it didn’t effect End Game’s show times one bit. Other movies got pushed around. I’d imagine that’s how it was in other areas too 

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just an FYI but at least in my area, when Pikachu expanded in terms of showtimes, it didn’t effect End Game’s show times one bit. Other movies got pushed around. I’d imagine that’s how it was in other areas too 

That’s how it should be. No offense to other movies 

but put the movies in demand not have a screen opens with empty seats for new movies 

7 minutes ago, fryoj said:

But they can just about play those movies twice for every one time that EG plays. Unless EG showings are double attendance or more to what DP showings are, it makes more sense to put the shorter movie in. 

A Dog's Journey is gonna be DOA...that's just my gut (I haven't looked at any numbers), but my son literally told me yesterday "mom, this movie already came out this year", so kids are not really distinguishing between ADJ and A Dog's Way Home...max DOM figures for ADJ will be 20% off a Dog's Purpose's $64M, I think (or a touch over $50M)...and it's not hanging around in any significant theater footprint post SLOP 2...maybe I'll change my mind if it's the best dog's movie ever done, but I doubt it...

So, Endgame isn't gonna have to worry about being punted for that movie...it will get a single screen set everywhere its OW...and then, we'll see how it does, and if it suffers Uglydolls fate this weekend of being unable to hold onto even its full single screen in its 2nd weekend at many small and midsize theaters, or if its studio has enough power or it does decently enough to at least get 2 weeks on the single screen...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, fryoj said:

Deep Wang manages a movie theatre. He knows what he's talking about.

• Like 1

Just now, youcantseemyname said:

Are we expecting a theatre cut for EG next week?

I expect Endgame to hold theaters like Wonder Woman...aka, holding them at high levels for a very long time...

It won't be holding the same showings/screens, though, so that will have an effect even if it keeps the theaters...

I think theater cuts will be in the double digits and low triple digits for awhile...

41 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Errr, that's not how it works.  They will get a priority on AM starts and matinees maybe, but the movie that sells the most tickets will get more start generally speaking.

Yeah, but if movie X does $5k total wasting 5 shows with 3 hours and movie Y does $3k total in 3 shows with 1 hour and 50 mins, what movie is better to give more shows? Prob this is what is going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, youcantseemyname said:

Are we expecting a theatre cut for EG next week?

Yeah, that’s not going to happen. Why would they all the sudden cut theaters 2nd weekend for a movie that’s headed for a 70 million 2nd weekend?

It’ll lose some theaters, but not drastically until Kotm and Aladdin. Pikachu and Kotm will make. Aladdin to me is DOA. Nobody wanted this movie, and apparently there is negative reactions around it. John Wick 2? Has a very small audience. 

Aladdin DOA? yeah i don't really believe it. I think it will be fine if it turns out to be a reasonable fun adventure movie. One of the Disney Classics and it looks alot more energic than Dumbo. I think those under estimating it has sort let the first impressions cloud their judgement around it. And to be fair, it has made a bad first impression. While i don't think it will get the memorial day weekend record i don't think it is out of the question.

As for John Wick's small audience. I don't see it. I think it will get to at least 40 or 50 OW. John Wick's audience i can expanding.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Endgame may end up playing out a lot like Harry Potter DH2.  Both are the end of a series of movies and both have great critical/audience ratings.  Both had unwordly openings but not that "leggy".  Endgame has set a new bar for openings and still has a great shot at being the new ww king.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

Not for long, but hey.... Endgame could end its run now and it still would be a amazing number.

Endgame's domestic run is starting to look a lot like Civil War's. Incredible reception from both critics and audiences alike and yet it just kept dropping harder than expected. Just like now, users kept saying it would stabilize but it never did.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, baumer said:

Deep Wang manages a movie theatre. He knows what he's talking about.

I'm not questioning anyone's knowledge, but math is math. In the simplest form, if you only have one screen that seats 100 people, and you have a movie that plays 90 minutes, and sells 75 tickets per showing, theres not a scenario where you should ever replace it with a 3 hour movie. I know that's not exactly what we are looking at here, but it's the point I was trying to make. 

I think 70 3rd weekend is very suspect.

8.4 Wed

7.9 (-6%)

17.4 (+120%)

30.0 (+72.5%)

21.0 (-30%)

= 68.4 (-53.6%)

EG still could win the weekend.

• Like 1

I’m probably underestimating May quite a bit. I’ve only seen 3-4 movies this year in theater. By the end of May that number will triple. Going to see Pikachu, John Wick 3, Rocketman, Aladdin, and Godzilla. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

CW 2.28x

IM3 2.35x

AOU 2.40x

875 will give AEG 2.45x. Considering AIW did 2.62x and AEG beat it's ow by 100, this amount of sequelitis is normal.

• Like 1