Nova

Wednesday Numbers | Asgard 1: EndGame 8.4M Wed

3 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Damn is that a single day for Japan? 10m on a weekday is huge, if it isn't a holiday. 

Edited by tawasal

Just now, tawasal said:

Damn is that a single day for Japan? 10m on a weekday is huge, if it isn't a holiday. 

No, Pikachu opened last weekend in Japan already.

4 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Was there ever a question about AEG not doing more than Avatar in the domestic market? cuz this statements sound like everyone was thinking otherwise while you were always predicting that and is now proven right somehow. 

I'm sorry but who are you? Keep your bad assumptions to yourself please.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

No, Pikachu opened last weekend in Japan already.

1 minute ago, youcantseemyname said:

No, it officially opened in Japan last week.

It seems like I am out the loop for Pika. Thanks guys, I need to check Pika's international thread.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm sorry but who are you? Keep your bad assumptions to yourself please.

Why did you have to state that it's locked to beat Avatar domestically? It's not like anyone doubted that after 357m OW.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, setna said:

Do it, do it, i´ll do stronger when EG miss 850 million.

By the way, i didn´t predict a drop for yestrday, i said +10 or flat, was +16, so i wasn´t too far...

3JiAqy2.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, tawasal said:

No it opened on a holiday weekend last week. That's like 5 days worth. It's doing ok there, not good.

9 hours ago, Krissykins said:

-33% then. 

I expected a bit softer after the very muted Tuesday increase. 

Should be interesting to see how Pokemon impacts it this weekend if at all

I suspect the "if at all" portion of your statement is a good qualifier.

Whatever crossover audience appeal there is between the two properties will be marginal to moot on third weekend. Those that will have wanted to will largely have seen Endgame 1 or 2 times already. They are ready for something new.

I'm going to see Godzilla at the end of May, doesn't mean it impacts Endgame per se because I've already digested that film and moved on. Doesn't impact Pika either for example cause I was never going to spend money on that anyway.

14 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Why did you have to state that it's locked to beat Avatar domestically? It's not like anyone doubted that after 357m OW.  

He was responding to another poster who asked.

1 hour ago, setna said:

Do it, do it, i´ll do stronger when EG miss 850 million.

By the way, i didn´t predict a drop for yestrday, i said +10 or flat, was +16, so i wasn´t too far...

considering you said "maximum 10% drop" opposed to "10% drop" one can accept that it was a genuine error and you meant "maximum 10% bump". but the bump went well above your max projection and there is no collapse ("EG gonna start collapse") as such.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, baumer said:

But once again when you open to 350 million dollars, you've already serviced a massive amount of the audience. So at this point legs really don't matter all that much.

It's bizarre to see 350

> opening

> weekend

> $357m

I still find it hard to believe that's a real thing that happened, such an absurd number.  One of these days Disney's gonna say "haha can't believe everyone fell for it, you all thought a 109m in a single day was actually possible lulz"

But more on topic, I agree with many that 900 is looking difficult at this point. 

• Like 2

Only impact from Pikachu is that it’s taking day time PLF shows. That will impact Saturday increase a bit as those shows we’re playing strong. But will have little impact during weekdays when most places those shows barely gross much.

Endgame at this point slowing down not bcos of competition but just that most who want to see it have seen it and its driven by repeat business. Next wave it will get could be once it overtakes Avatar WW. That according to folks doing projection is expected end of the month or early June.

Let us wait until this weekend to project where it ends but SW7 gross is improbable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, a2k said:

CW 2.28x

IM3 2.35x

AOU 2.40x

875 will give AEG 2.45x. Considering AIW did 2.62x and AEG beat it's ow by 100, this amount of sequelitis is normal.

This weekend is the first big test but If it gets AIW 2.6x multi that would put it at 928  but that's looking a little shaky with the load of competition on the horizon.   So it may be looking under 2.5x which would still put it well over 850 as you said and make it the 2nd film to hit 800 Domestically.  CW multi is to low, I don't see it falling that fast.  I definitely see over  IM3's 2.3x for sure but that could be the floor.  After today's numbers, I'm leaning towards AOU's multi.  So the 1st Avengers would be the only one with an above 3x Multi Dom.   I said it after this weekend and I still feel the same.  "Awakens' is probably safe.  The battle is "Avatar" WW now.   But EG has nothing to prove.  That OW was ridiculous.  

Honest question: can't people be allowed to be a bit disappointed in the Wednesday number? Everyone knows the opening weekend was huge, and that the number it'll reach at the finish line will be huge. We're not idiots. It doesn't mean one can't have a certain feeling towards a certain number. Nobody has to swoop in and defend the movie and mention the opening weekend again. Likewise, I don't think anyone should be panicking or complaining either. Simple thoughts, feelings, observations should be welcome and encouraged, no matter angle you're coming from.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Honest question: can't people be allowed to be a bit disappointed in the Wednesday number? Everyone knows the opening weekend was huge, and that the number it'll reach at the finish line will be huge. We're not idiots. It doesn't mean one can't have a certain feeling towards a certain number. Nobody has to swoop in and defend the movie and mention the opening weekend again. Likewise, I don't think anyone should be panicking or complaining either. Simple thoughts, feelings, observations should be welcome and encouraged, no matter angle you're coming from.

you get dinged both ways. Ignore the noise and post your thoughts.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The size of ow gets forgotten but the % (legs) show up everyday (naturally) defining the mood of daily threads.

290 * 2.75 = 798

357 * 2.4 = 860

In the first case that 2.75x multi beating AIW's 2.62x would have been visible throughout the run infusing gratification in daily threads.  If it takes the 2.4x path like it's looking then there's something to frown about once your forget the absolute numbers and focus on %, which dampens the threads.

In the first case a push to 800 (like BP was pushed to 700) would have been the magic celebratory crossing the finishing line story. But now that 860 odd will go down as "well below 900 and nowhere near TFA".

I think 357 ow (tfa/aiw + 100) is worth stressing throughout irrespective of daily/weekend holds.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1