sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

13 hours ago, baumer said:

The story with me in Twilight goes like this:

In the summer of 2009 after I had seen the original Twilight and thought it was fine but nothing great, I picked up the first book and within about 25 pages I was completely hooked. That summer I spent two weeks at my buddy's cottage and I read the first three books in those two weeks while sipping on beer and getting a suntan in a boat.

I finished the last two books before New Moon came out and that was it for me I was completely enamored with the mythology that Stephanie Meyers created. I loved the volturi. I loved that there was a ruling class of vampires and I love that she gave each vampire their own special power. I know it's not a story that appeals to a lot of guys but I just got it, I just understood it.

I thought new moon was much better than Twilight. I thought eclipse was one of the best movies of 2010. I thought the first part of breaking Dawn was a bit too much filler but breaking Dawn Part 2, especially the way they did Alice's vision and the subsequent fight at the end that really didn't take place at all, to be quite brilliant.

I will stand up for Twilight probably until the day I die. Like I said I don't expect anybody else to understand it but I just adored the books and the movies.

Ok....deflector shields are up. Fire away lol.

Twilight is literally just 50 shades of gray without the sex scenes.  Uninspired. 

11 hours ago, JB33 said:

Valerian is a horrible movie. My personal worst film of 2017 (aka I imagine there were worse but not that I saw). I mean see it and judge for yourself but if you want recommendations mine is: skip it.

Me and my friend did a valerian/ geostorm double bill in cinemas. 

We weren't expecting a lot, we certainly weren't expecting geostorm to be the standout highlight

Charlie's last AEG compared to IW

7.4 (+116.6%) // 7.31 (+112.3%)

12.9 (+74.3%) // 12.79 (+75.1%)

9.7 (-24.8%) // 9.35 (-26.9%)

= 30.0 (-52.6%) // 29.45 (-52.6%)

Edited by a2k
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

PIKA had a good weekend globally

25.3 dom weekend, 94.5 cume

53.8 os weekend, 193.4 cume

50 more dom and 80 more os gives 130 more ww for

94.5 + 193.4 + 130 = 418 ww

Have been conservative, especially os. I think 435-440 is realistic.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

So Van Helsing is always a movie i been wanting to try, but it always is pushed back for whatever reason. And whatever that Valerian shit is. All that i know is that i like the Fifth Element and it and Valerian share directors.

This was posted a long time ago..... or at least reading through this topic makes it feel like years, but my two cents. 

Valerian is no Fifth Element. It's a pretty movie with terrible characters, dialogue plotting & pacing and a lot of horrible acting. 

Van Helsing is so bad not even Hugh Jackman in swirling leather can save it.

But the opening scene of Valerian is great and Van Helsing's is fun - so just watch those.

Edited by TalismanRing

I'm with @MikeQ 300 million is definitely a Blockbuster. You can say it's only 30 million admissions but do you know how quick a movie becomes available illegally now? It's literally overnight or sometimes even before movie comes out domestically if it's released internationally first. For example, there's a flea market here in Toronto that I can go to on Friday and Saturday and they have a DVD quality copy of endgame already. Plus they had cam versions of longshots, Pikachu the hustle and basically anything that came out last weekend. So when you say 30 million flippantly, I don't think that's fair. It is so much easier to watch a film anywhere but the theater that I think a movie making 300 million today is very impressive. Especially if it's not a superhero movie.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I'm with @MikeQ 300 million is definitely a Blockbuster. You can say it's only 30 million admissions but do you know how quick a movie becomes available illegally now? It's literally overnight or sometimes even before movie comes out domestically if it's released internationally first. For example, there's a flea market here in Toronto that I can go to on Friday and Saturday and they have a DVD quality copy of endgame already. Plus they had cam versions of longshots, Pikachu the hustle and basically anything that came out last weekend. So when you say 30 million flippantly, I don't think that's fair. It is so much easier to watch a film anywhere but the theater that I think a movie making 300 million today is very impressive. Especially if it's not a superhero movie.

I would like to see a movie called Pikachu: The Hustle. :lol:

• Haha 1

All this 300 debate diverted from the real issue that how shit box office was last year and this year without superheroes.

BP+A:IW+I2+AQM+DP2+AM&TW+Venom+Spider Verse ~ 30% of total boxoffice.

2020 has only 2 MCU films and they aren't really guaranteed to do 300+. With Avatar 2 also pushed, 2020 will be ugly.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

Charlie's last AEG compared to IW

7.4 (+116.6%) // 7.31 (+112.3%)

12.9 (+74.3%) // 12.79 (+75.1%)

9.7 (-24.8%) // 9.35 (-26.9%)

= 30.0 (-52.6%) // 29.45 (-52.6%)

Canada coming through on Sunday with Monday being a holiday here. 

Anecdotally, I went to see John Wick last night and the theatre was packed compared to a regular Sunday. All films were doing quite well. 

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Even US drop is quite good at 28%. Canada droped just 5% for EG.

Are you saying EG dropped 5% here in Canada this weekend?