sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Twilight and legit Potter aren't fair comparisons and you don't know how much better they may have done in summer

We've seen how they've done in both. At best, it could've added in my honest opinion $10M-$20M more for JL or Beasts.

There’s actually one GREAT news for Godzilla..... it’s actually having a really good opening weekend in Japan. Even with Saturday being discount day it still made a ton. It’s already at roughly 7m through Saturday. That’s pretty damn good for a western film in Japan.

geez besides Japan, and the okish start in China, would have been nice to see one other territory breakout.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CJohn said:

@MCKillswitch123 Godzilla is bombing here and is gonna open well below the already weak opening of G14. Probably around half of what Kong did 2 years ago.

And don't get me started on Rocketman HOLY FUCKING SHIT what a disaster. Aladdin is easily gonna win. Hell, Pets special shows today might be 2nd for the entire weekend lmao.

Kong is so gonna win the fight next year :whosad:

9 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I couldn't agree more. My only fear is that they clutter that one with too many other monsters. GA wants Kong v. Godzilla. Everyone and I mean everyone knows those two. The others... Yeah, I like them. Some even great. But, come on, all you really need is pulp fantasy yarn that pops with those two rumbling in the most epic way put to screen.

They might have other monsters but i guess main focus will be Godzilla & Kong, plus the director saying that there will be a victor and the poster tagline "One will fall" kinda that main focus will be Godzilla & Kong.

Also the character of Charles Dunce said that he won't be GvK which means whatever they set up in post credits scene was for potential Godzilla 3, not for GvK.

Also on side note, already GA now know why KG was such a big deal in Godzilla lore.

Yeah, I expected a much larger opening for Rocketman.

Again, it's really amusing how Pikachu and Godzilla were hyped up and Aladdin was put down and frowned upon and then it ended up being the big May movie. Never underestimate the power of Disney and nostalgia. And as many people complain about the designs of the animals, Lion King is going to absolutely destroy everything in its wake. 

I love me some Godzilla, but he does appear to appeal to a niche group. I'm kinda not surprised by how its performing. I still see it edging a little over 50 million rather than 45-46 million. And again, Godzilla vs Kong is coming out (unless Warner pulls a Mowgli and gives it to Netflix or dumps it on its own streaming service, or tosses it to another studio) so as long as the filmmakers aren't colossally stupid and give it a cliffhanger ending, they will give it a proper ending. It would be fitting that the Monsterverse era would be short due to Heisei having 7 films and the Millenium era having 6. 

Also, neither Kong or Godzilla will win. They'll eventually break off to fight a larger threat, then whoever survives the big final battle with whoever the final boss kaiju is will be the victor.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cookson said:

There’s actually one GREAT news for Godzilla..... it’s actually having a really good opening weekend in Japan. Even with Saturday being discount day it still made a ton. It’s already at roughly 7m through Saturday. That’s pretty damn good for a western film in Japan.

geez besides Japan, and the okish start in China, would have been nice to see one other territory breakout.

Mothra, Rodan & King Ghidorah might not be known to west but they are just as popular in Japan as Godzilla himself. 

If we can get a 150+ in China & 50+ in Japan, it'll be great.

Just now, THUNDER BIRD said:

They might have other monsters but i guess main focus will be Godzilla & Kong, plus the director saying that there will be a victor and the poster tagline "One will fall" kinda that main focus will be Godzilla & Kong.

Also the character of Charles Dunce said that he won't be GvK which means whatever they set up in post credits scene was for potential Godzilla 3, not for GvK.

Also on side note, already GA now know why KG was such a big deal in Godzilla lore.

Meh. I don't know. I think the focus will certainly be those two but there will be at least a half dozen others stealing screentime. Potentially a new big bad entity that they have to work together to defeat too. 

8 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What are chances of November MCU film next year to be DS 2. Unlike most here, I loved Doctor Strange and then IW boosted DS like anything. He is my, joint favourite Avenger of new lot along with Spidey.

Great taste - I agree.  I love the 2 together so much in the movies:)...

• Like 1

The talks about pushing back GvsKong and reshooting etc won’t happen. Filming is done and they’ve been in post production for awhile now. Probably a lot of uneasiness around there though. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Meh. I don't know. I think the focus will certainly be those two but there will be at least a half dozen others stealing screentime. Potentially a new big bad entity that they have to work together to defeat too. 

Well they are seeing that One will fall, so let's see.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This sucks and no one should be made to feel this way. Hope you don’t stay away for long. 

There’s not much room for discussion on any other films here anymore. For example: Rocketman and Ma are doing big business, but their threads are on page 2 with hardly anyone posting about the actual films. 

Theres a percentage of users now who seem to only go and watch the latest Disney sequel/remake, become obsessed with its run, and then wait to shit on anything else that dares to open.

You'd be amazed if you talk about them, how you'll find users who will go back and forth with you, even if the rest of the board has moved on...

I mean, I think I talked Wonder Park's quality and run for 2-3 weeks, and I started seeing other users join in as the run passed:).  They got interested and watched it or just followed it:)...same for Kid Who Would Be King earlier this year (I think this board had all the goers who watched it).  

Talk about the movies you like...if you write it, someone will come...eventually (yes, I've just torched a movie quote, but c'mon, it's early and my coffee cup is still 2/3rds full!:)

13 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Mothra, Rodan & King Ghidorah might not be known to west but they are just as popular in Japan as Godzilla himself. 

If we can get a 150+ in China & 50+ in Japan, it'll be great.

China box office may not be enough to save the film.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-opening-weekend-box-office-1202624876/

I’m informed King of the Monsters is not a China-US co-production whereby a larger than normal 25%-27% rental from the Middle Kingdom would flow back here.

13 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Unnecessary my friend. Rooting for things like that is terrible.

I agree. We had multiple people hope Aladdin would bomb last weekend so Godzilla would do well and felt justified in saying so. And in this thread, posts hoping Dark Phoenix bombs next weekend. It’s unnecessary all around. Just hope the movie you like finds an audience and does well. Stop hoping for other movies to underperform or bomb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John2015 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-rocketman-ma-opening-weekend-box-office-1202624876/

I’m informed King of the Monsters is not a China-US co-production whereby a larger than normal 25%-27% rental from the Middle Kingdom would flow back here.

Well i was talking about figures looking better lol. I mean 400-450 would look better than 350-400 figure.

Also it's about legs now, good legs means good reception which might not help this one but can benefit GvK, so there's that.

3 minutes ago, John2015 said:

That’s actually a good thing? If I’m reading that correctly, LP should be getting more $ back from it than traditional Hollywood films.

2 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

I agree. We had multiple people hope Aladdin would bomb last weekend so Godzilla would do well and felt justified in saying so. And in this thread, posts hoping Dark Phoenix bombs next weekend. It’s unnecessary all around. Just hope the movie you like finds an audience and does well. Stop hoping for other movies to underperform or bomb. 

Multiple movies co-existing at once at the box office? Unspeakable. What a novelty.

3 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

But what to do when movie you not just liked but loved flops 😭😭