sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wish Aladdin takes #1 somehow. 

Not nice^^... the only way i would want that to happen is if aladdin made astonishing 70m 2nd week and godzilla came in at 69m so the headlines would boost both as the closest/highest weekend finish ever(havent watched either yet tho:/ )... also, obviously we wouldnt want those two gobbling up rocketman, ma and the holdovers..oh what a wishfull wonderfull world this would be^^

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I can't find numbers,can someone pin them please?

But anyway, if Zilla is bombing, why would GvK do better with practically the same cast (that didn't draw audience first time around) and the same monster (that didn't draw audience either)? Just because Kong is in it? Kong Skull Island had SLJ so unless GvK ups the star power, fat chance. 

Star power isn't a thing anymore for most actors and SLJ especially doesn't have enough star power for a movie to make extra millions. People will also watch Kong v Godzilla for the novelty factor.

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

WB is really getting screwed with the release dates. They're settling for all the garbage dates behind Disney. Justice League and both Fantastic Beats were severely hurt by the hideous November opening, the post memorial day one is no different.

Justice League sucked and was ruined by a bad  former installment.

Beasts 1 did good for a spin-off with the little major pieces of the HPU

Beasts 2 failed because it sucked.

13 minutes ago, syntaxerror said:

Weaker Aladdin hold than I was expecting tbh.

WB losing money on another tent pole this year... this and Pokémon were supposed to be big franchise starters.

WB investiment in Pikachu and Godzilla was low. 

Pikachu is a Pokemon Company production and Godzilla is from Legendary Pictures. 

Edited by efialtes76

Just now, efialtes76 said:

WB investiment in Pikachu and Godzilla is low. 

Pikachu is a Pokemon Company production and Godzilla is from Legendary Pictures. 

WB on the line for 100% of P&A as distributor for both films, and is co-producer for Godzilla with 25% stake in budget. On top of all that they probably paid big licensing fees to Legendary for distribution rights. Don’t think anyone envies WB right now.

Funny that people are trying to insulate WB from the inevitable financial consequences of these films underperforming by saying that they had very little money in them, but if things had gone differently and the films had been big successes they would have been bloviating about the financial boon to WB (when in reality they only recoup P&A and earn a limited % of box office profits). Distribution is not such a low risk, high reward business.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

In your dream 

I think I found the true curse for WB movies breaking out...

As for WB I’m not going to sugarcoat to say they had a rough first half of the year, Lego 2 bombed and doomed not only the Lego Universe but a bad omen for WAG, Shazam! although highly profitable, didn’t do as well as expected, Pikachu was the next MPR will turn a profit but way overpredicted and Godzilla 2 has a small chance of not reaching $400M WW. 

I think IT 2 will turn things around but Joker, I can honestly see underperforming to our expectations. WB should have a better 2020, WW1984 has the best chance of winning the year (outside of maybe Onward), BOP and Tenet should also make some nice cash, Scooby will either do LM2 numbers or TLBM numbers but the former is more likely, GVK should and can move to Christmas 2020 (I don’t buy Twocide opening there mainly cause with the bad reception of the first, they’re better off on improving it and waiting over sending it to Christmas.) and have an increase from KoTM.

Gonna need the one true King to resuscitate the big green guy. Am I wrong? Kong paired with Godzilla next spring will breathe atomic life back into Godzilla. The pairing has potential. Probably better if it's just those two instead of dozen extra monsters that don't resonate with the GA at all.

Personally... Do not think the WOM will be any better with this new Godzilla than it was for the last one. Hope I'm wrong. But, only expecting a marginally better multiplier.

But, keeping it real, highest grossing Kong adjusted for inflation DOM is 305M. Highest grossing Godzilla adjusted for inflation DOM is 260M. Couldn't find data for the original Kong 1933. Pacific Rim failed to take off like folks hoped as well. 

The only kaiju like anything to truly breakout is Transformers. Which had heavy nostalgia ties to 80s. 

This isn't like Jurassic Park where even the lowest grossing one adjusts to 290M. All other well above that number. Well above.

So... Either there isn't an enormous audience for Kong and Godzilla DOM. Or, they need to be framed within a GotG/PotC adventure yarn. Maybe within more of an unreality. A film that embraces swashbuckling fantasy madcap loonybin tone of a Pirates or Guardians.

The marketing for Godzilla '14 was remarkable. And, it promised a grave, dire, grim, apocalyptic flick. Delivered. Turned out audiences thought they wanted that, but actually didn't. 

People want a pulp adventure with monsters. An Indy, a Guardians, a Pirates. With all the superheroes all the time, classic adventure flicks are few and far between. Fuse the two. Do it right. Could have something.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Godzilla 2014 has left a bigger cultural footprint than Avatar.

It killed the giant monster verse with one movie.

Its impact !

:bravo:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think I found the true curse for WB movies breaking out...

As for WB I’m not going to sugarcoat to say they had a rough first half of the year, Lego 2 bombed and doomed not only the Lego Universe but a bad omen for WAG, Shazam! although highly profitable, didn’t do as well as expected, Pikachu was the next MPR will turn a profit but way overpredicted and Godzilla 2 has a small chance of not reaching $400M WW. 

I think IT 2 will turn things around but Joker, I can honestly see underperforming to our expectations. WB should have a better 2020, WW1984 has the best chance of winning the year (outside of maybe Onward), BOP and Tenet should also make some nice cash, Scooby will either do LM2 numbers or TLBM numbers but the former is more likely, GVK should and can move to Christmas 2020 (I don’t buy Twocide opening there mainly cause with the bad reception of the first, they’re better off on improving it and waiting over sending it to Christmas.) and have an increase from KoTM.

I don’t think Shazam made much of a profit considering it’s 100M budget and then P&A added on to it. I think Pikachu will end up in the red (before ancillary revenue) considering it will not exceed 450 (even that is optimistic). 

It2 will definitely do well. Joker will at least break even. 

WB is in a position where a few money loosing movies is fine. The concern is the fact that it’s franchises are toppling. Other than DC, which franchise can they point to and say is healthy with good growth prospects? Pikachu looks DOA, it’s hard to build on a film that struggles to break even and flopped in core markets (Japan, China). Godzilla shows no signs of recovery. LEGO killed by Batman. Beasts 2 significant underperformance. They can’t be looking forward to Barbie, Scooby-Doo, or Mario to be the franchises that save them.

2020 though should be a decent year. WW has empty ground to wreck havoc and Nolan never fails. But that’s still WB wholly dependent on a DC franchise that is only starting to show signs of life and Nolan who releases every 4 years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, syntaxerror said:

I don’t think Shazam made much of a profit considering it’s 100M budget and then P&A added on to it. I think Pikachu will end up in the red (before ancillary revenue) considering it will not exceed 450 (even that is optimistic). 

It2 will definitely do well. Joker will at least break even. 

WB is in a position where a few money loosing movies is fine. The concern is the fact that it’s franchises are toppling. Other than DC, which franchise can they point to and say is healthy with good growth prospects? Pikachu looks DOA, it’s hard to build on a film that struggles to break even and flopped in core markets (Japan, China). Godzilla shows no signs of recovery. LEGO killed by Batman. Beasts 2 significant underperformance. They can’t be looking forward to Barbie, Scooby-Doo, or Mario to be the franchises that save them.

2020 though should be a decent year. WW has empty ground to wreck havoc and Nolan never fails. But that’s still WB wholly dependent on a DC franchise that is only starting to show signs of life and Nolan who releases every 4 years. 

It s 4 DC movies a year then.

WB has had the shittiest luck this year, despite their slate being pretty cool. Lego 2 lost them money, Shazam! and Pikachu will be just by an inch money makers and Godzilla has 400M WW in peril. It: Chapter 2 and Joker will surely turn things around, and I hope Annabelle 3 does good as well, but....... yeah, not a great year for WB so far, sadly.

Meanwhile, fucking Disney laughs at everybody who made fun of them for the bombages of Solo, A Wrinkle In Time and Nutcracker + the underperformances of Mary Poppins, Dumbo and possibly Maleficent, because Aladdin blew away expectations, Captain Marvel hit the high end of expectations, Endgame might become the highest grossing film of all time (or miss that by a minuscule margin), and Toy Story, Lion King, Frozen and Star Wars will all be huge as well. And the Fox movies may do decently for what their worth. When I looked at their 2019 slate, it hit me that they had all of their flagship franchises opening: Avengers for Marvel, Star Wars for Lucasfilm, X-Men for Fox, Toy Story for Pixar, Frozen for WDAS and Lion King for Disney proper. They really went out of their way to overbook 2019, and instead of backfiring and blowing up in their face, they're gonna spunk all over the previous studio yearly record..... which they held, btw. Sometimes the world can be a bitch.

• Sad 1