sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Godzilla KOTM $47.77M | Aladdin $42.84M | Rocketman $25.72M | MA $18.09M

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't see how Aladdin realistically makes it to 300+. What kind of drops would that require in the coming weeks?

I honestly think 280-285 is where it's going to cap out. 

SOLO added 2.2x it's 2nd weekend to the cume (64.8 more after 29.4 2nd weekend).

POTC5 added 2.6x it's 2nd weekend to the cume (57.6 more after 22.1 2nd weekend).

Adding 2.2-2.6x the 2nd weekend gives ALADDIN 185 + 93-110 = 278-295

SOLO went too low and matching POTC5 is very likely. Good chance that Disney won't let it end at mid-high 290s. I don't think it will need any help in the first place looking at the trend so far. Both SOLO and POTC5 dropped 65% in their 2nd weekend compared to ALADDIN's 53%.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Rocketman would "look" better if Bohemian hadnt just come out last fall. Its numbers are great for the genre and will probably make a push for 80m+ with a shot at 100m. 

Bohemian was an exception for the genre and we need to remember that. Only real mistake here was deciding to open it in May/june and not later on in the schedule. 

Bohemian helped it, this looks like being part of the same cinematic universe and all the critics compared them and said Rocketman is a far better movie. It has very good publicity, the actors are on every cover and attend every event available out there. I think it's logic that they wanted something more after an identical movie did 900ml

6 minutes ago, John Harris said:

Bummed at G:KOTM underperforming. It’s not a great film but it does a much better job giving us Godzilla fans what we want than the 2014 film did. Will WB cut the budget for Godzilla v Kong now? 🙁 

Godzilla v Kong has already been filmed and in post production now. It's more where the Monsterverse goes after GvK that will be in question.

also for what it's worth globally it's only down by $27 million on Godzilla's opening.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/movies/star-wars-co-star-said-harrison-ford-wanted-him-fired/ar-AACgiqV?ocid=spartanntp

LOL at this. Seems like it's out of some comedy movie. For those who don't want to read the article, here's a watered-down version.

Puppeteer on ROTJ made a joke at Ford's expense that the crew thought was hilarious but Ford didn't like. He refused to come back to set until "whoever made the joke was fired". But because the puppeteer was basically a behind-the-scenes character, Ford didn't know what he looked like. So they told Ford he had been fired, and he just came back to set as "the new guy" 

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

Top Gun 2 i dunno how well it does. It seems like the Rah Rah America fuck yeah films don't translate overseas like it used to. Heck they don't even play too well in America. The last one i paid attention to was the one with Thor fighting The Taliban on a horse and that didn't do too great.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Just now, John Marston said:

Dark Phoenix - 45-50

I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix ends up closer to 25-30. "Apocalypse" opened big and nose-dived hard, and word of mouth was terrible - and that was before "Logan" came out and made it look even worse by comparison while essentially ending the X-men universe. "Deadpool 2" underperformed (somehow) and basically existed to make fun of that old universe anyway, and I don't get the sense audiences want to revisit any of those X-Men, not after "Logan", not after "Deadpool", not after the sale, and especially not since this is basically a remake of "The Last Stand", which by now is widely recognized as being one of the worst superhero films made.  

The ad campaign isn't good, and nobody seems to care. "Fant4stic" numbers are what I'm expecting, honestly. Anything over that would be a surprise to me. 

• Thanks 1

I noticed that deadline gives Rocketman estimate of $22,9 million, and BoxOfficeMojo $25 million. Which one is usuallt more realible?

Lähetetty minun SM-A520F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Looks like they both are now at $25 million. Reckon I was a bit hasty...

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix ends up closer to 25-30.

If that happens we will never see the end of clickbait articles of "Superhero Fatigue" until Spiderman Far From Home shows up.

Those always happen when a superhero movie noone was looking forward to underperforms.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix ends up closer to 25-30.

Would be sad and hilarious at the same time if ALADDIN's 3rd weekend beats it.

Edited by a2k

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/movies/star-wars-co-star-said-harrison-ford-wanted-him-fired/ar-AACgiqV?ocid=spartanntp

LOL at this. Seems like it's out of some comedy movie. For those who don't want to read the article, here's a watered-down version.

Puppeteer on ROTJ made a joke at Ford's expense that the crew thought was hilarious but Ford didn't like. He refused to come back to set until "whoever made the joke was fired". But because the puppeteer was basically a behind-the-scenes character, Ford didn't know what he looked like. So they told Ford he had been fired, and he just came back to set as "the new guy" 

As Carrie Fisher character, Princess Leia, kisses Hans after the rescue, all the costumed characters and puppeteers chanted, "We saw you kissing!" The moment was intended to be fun, but Harrison saw no humor in it

Not even an insult at him. Just something super light hearted.

Harrison is such a bore.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hilarious and makes Ford look an absolute pill w/o the more recent excuse of being a  grumpy old man

The moment in which Tim caught Harrison's ire came during the iconic scene when Hans Solo gets unfrozen from carbonite. As Carrie Fisher character, Princess Leia, kisses Hans after the rescue, all the costumed characters and puppeteers chanted, "We saw you kissing!" The moment was intended to be fun, but Harrison saw no humor in it, Tim told Jamie Stangroom.

"Harrison went over to the director and said 'Are these puppet characters going to laugh over my line? Because I don't want to have to come back and do ADR (Automated Dialog Replacement)'," Tim recalled.

Director Richard Marquand then told the characters to do the same thing but "in mime" for the second take. Before the third take, the director sat next to Tim, who was still in character, and asked what the thought. However, Tim didn't realize that his microphone was still on and could be heard on the sound stage.

Tim, while using Salacious Crumb's voice, said, "Eh, this Harrison guy... is he gonna talk over our laugh? 'cause it's really putting me off."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Phoenix ends up closer to 25-30. "Apocalypse" opened big and nose-dived hard, and word of mouth was terrible - and that was before "Logan" came out and made it look even worse by comparison while essentially ending the X-men universe. "Deadpool 2" underperformed (somehow) and basically existed to make fun of that old universe anyway, and I don't get the sense audiences want to revisit any of those X-Men, not after "Logan", not after "Deadpool", not after the sale, and especially not since this is basically a remake of "The Last Stand", which by now is widely recognized as being one of the worst superhero films made.  

The ad campaign isn't good, and nobody seems to care. "Fant4stic" numbers are what I'm expecting, honestly. Anything over that would be a surprise to me. 

The Last Stand is recognized as one of the worst SH movies ever made? WTF? Maybe in the MCU fansites. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hermia said:

Bohemian helped it, this looks like being part of the same cinematic universe and all the critics compared them and said Rocketman is a far better movie. It has very good publicity, the actors are on every cover and attend every event available out there. I think it's logic that they wanted something more after an identical movie did 900ml

The idea that it should be making more is vastly unfair. A musical biopic making 900m+ is the lone rare exception. And regardless of what critics say, it doesnt change the fact that cultural impacts between the artists were vastly different. This is another overall issue of reality versus hopes and dreams for a lot of people as the numbers leading up to release never gave solid indication that over 25m was truly an option. 

Also doesnt help that the midwest probably didnt give it enough $ either. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ttr said:

Looks like they both are now at $25 million. Reckon I was a bit hasty...

I'm going to need Paramount to separate those early preview numbers - it's not only a very bad precedent it's bad for my Derby.