sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

22 minutes ago, UserHN said:

When they first announced that the JC director is also the director for Black Adam, my first thought was "Dwayne Johnson must have really liked working with this director".

Dwayne's very loyal to people he's worked with. Brad Peyton and Rawson Marshall Thurber have directed many films with him in it.

Aladdin zooms pass 600 Million and John Wick 3 is roaring towards 300 Million WW.  This is Keanu's Biggest Hit since the Matrix Trilogy.  Also "Aladdin" becomes one of Will Smith's Biggest domestic and global hits.   Will's career numbers are ridiculous especially when you considered his first film was in the 90's.    

59 minutes ago, TMP said:

Everyone seems to be confident in that film's box office except me... seen some $250m+ predictions, so we'll see.

I think Disney is hoping that this will become big like their POTC franchise.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Aladdin zooms pass 600 Million and John Wick 3 is roaring towards 300 Million WW.  This is Keanu's Biggest Hit since the Matrix Trilogy.  Also "Aladdin" becomes one of Will Smith's Biggest domestic and global hits.   Will's career numbers are ridiculous especially when you considered his first film was in the 90's.    

Isn't Will still holding record for most consecutive DOM $100M hits? Or did Leo surpass him?

26 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Isn't Will still holding record for most consecutive DOM $100M hits? Or did Leo surpass him?

Nope, right now Leo's on a 4 Movie streak with 100 Million Domestic Blockbusters.  He's had 10 Total his whole career.  We'll see if "Once Upon" can keep it going.   Will still has the record with 8 Straight 100 Million Domestic Hits in a row.  The crazy thing about that streak was he did it in several different Genres (Drama, Sci Fi, Action, Animation etc).   I think "Aladdin" is Will's 15th 100 Million Dollar Domestic Hit Unadjusted (16th adjusted) and 16th 200+ WW Million Global Hit.  Maybe only the Two Tom's have more than him and they both started in the 80's.   One of the biggest reasons Will's numbers dipped this last decade is he was doing a lot more Drama's (Concussion etc).   He also was trying to jumpstart both of his Kid's careers (Jaden Willow) during the time of his numbers going down.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Will has 8 consecutive, 15 total. Leo last 4 movies were $100M grossers, 10 total, according to BOM!

Will's chart:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=willsmith.htm

Leo's chart:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Actor&id=leonardodicaprio.htm

Edited by sfran43
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Will has 15, Leo has 10, according to BOM!

I just looked and Rock has 13 right now  (Though 4 of those are F&F films, soon to be 5).  

Tom Hanks - 19

Tom Cruise - 18 (20 with cameos)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I just looked and Rock has 13 right now  (Though 4 of those are F&F films, soon to be 5).  

Tom Hanks - 19

But out of those 13, how many were starring roles for the Rock?!😁

Edit: I count 7 with Moana, not sure if that movie counts.

Edited by sfran43

8 hours ago, Menor said:

I thought the whole point was that she had been told that she had problems with her emotions, but really her emotions were not a problem and were in fact a strength

But she never struggled with that duality, and whether or not it was there I just don’t think the writers managed to portray that conflict. Larson herself did a good job, she did play conflicted well, but I just kept feeling like the writing was not keeping up with the on-screen talent.

8 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

That is because she doesn’t HAVE ONE. Her struggle and journey centers on learning that Jude Law is a gaslighting jackass, realizing her has no control over her, and then unleashing her power and “emotions”. 

No depth of character? Did you not watch all of her scene with Maria and Monica? MAAAYBE. It’s NOT that she lacked a depth of character, maybe it is that men are not trained to sympathize with women, particularly women who are not stereotypically girly or written via the “male gaze”, and Captain Marvel is a film that unapologetic in its lack of male gaze. 🍵🍵🍵🍵

I mean, I don’t think you should be saying that I don’t understand her character simply because I am male and am therefore incapable of understanding her because she is “not the typical male gaze Hollywood” female. What does my sex have to do with how I see a movie character? You think that I can’t sympathize with a character because she is a woman and not a man? If captain marvel had been a dude in the exact same movie I would be saying the same thing.

I understand why people can be defensive about this movie, because there is a large group attacking it simply because it has a female superhero blah blah blah. But I don’t think I should be grouped with those idiots simply because I have my own issues with a (mostly solid) movie.  

• Like 4

Terrible weekend all round. XMen deservedly bombed. I dont know why Fox made this and even more why JLaw and others agreed to do this. Its not as if they dont have any movie offers otherwise.

Pets 2 is a shocking disappointment. Once famed Illumination marketing that took Pets 1, Sing and Lorax etc to huge grosses did a terrible job here. How did they took a movie with good WOM and great run to such terrible sequel numbers !!!!

Among the holdovers, Aladdin had good hold but not out of the world. I guess its enough to keep 300m in play. however its having extraordinary run in OS markets and so WW gross would still be sensational. Best weekend hold was for John Wick 3 which should gross > 150m.

Endgame had a good hold but still below IW hold despite openers under performing big time. Looks headed towards finishing just below 840m.

2 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Tom Hanks - 19

Samuel Jackson - 20 (28 with cameos)

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

8 hours ago, TMP said:

Rock "the Dwayne" Johnson is gonna film a Shazam! spin-off next year, so WB clearly has no intentions of putting it on streaming. This isn't the Monsterverse or anything.

That is Black Adam (one of the most famous villain) 

9 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

Mortal Kombat X sold over 10 Million units. It's an indiction of healthy fanbase. 

Mortal Kombat has been building up for the last 30 yrs. 2020s is gonna be big time for Mk 

Yeah one of  best selling game ever ..

10 hours ago, a2k said:

SHAZAM did about 320 WW-China which gave it a great theatrical return

140*0.55 + 180*0.40 = 149

China was 43*0.25 = ~11

So total returns of approx 160 on 90-100 prod budget which is great.

80 total in China instead of 43 and hence 400 WW would have given it "only" ~9 more, 169 on 90-100 prod budget.

----

ALITA theatrical are about 155 on 170 prod budget and KOTM will be similar.

PIKA with 430 WW will be 145*0.55 + 94*0.25 + 191*0.40 = 180 on 150 prod budget.

Nice theatrical return of Shazam .. movie was clean success at the BO .. as well as for the producers ..

so KOTM will be loss ...??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Terrible weekend all round. XMen deservedly bombed. I dont know why Fox made this and even more why JLaw and others agreed to do this. Its not as if they dont have any movie offers otherwise.

Pets 2 is a shocking disappointment. Once famed Illumination marketing that took Pets 1, Sing and Lorax etc to huge grosses did a terrible job here. How did they took a movie with good WOM and great run to such terrible sequel numbers !!!!

Among the holdovers, Aladdin had good hold but not out of the world. I guess its enough to keep 300m in play. however its having extraordinary run in OS markets and so WW gross would still be sensational. Best weekend hold was for John Wick 3 which should gross > 150m.

Endgame had a good hold but still below IW hold despite openers under performing big time. Looks headed towards finishing just below 840m.

The problem is not overperform or underperform. The problem is screen lost. More expected big openers =  more screen lost in short period of time.

5 hours ago, filmscholar said:

Nope, right now Leo's on a 4 Movie streak with 100 Million Domestic Blockbusters.  He's had 10 Total his whole career.  We'll see if "Once Upon" can keep it going.   Will still has the record with 8 Straight 100 Million Domestic Hits in a row.  The crazy thing about that streak was he did it in several different Genres (Drama, Sci Fi, Action, Animation etc).   I think "Aladdin" is Will's 15th 100 Million Dollar Domestic Hit Unadjusted (16th adjusted) and 16th 200+ WW Million Global Hit.  Maybe only the Two Tom's have more than him and they both started in the 80's.   One of the biggest reasons Will's numbers dipped this last decade is he was doing a lot more Drama's (Concussion etc).   He also was trying to jumpstart both of his Kid's careers (Jaden Willow) during the time of his numbers going down.  

Good post. It’s easy to forget how spectacular Will’s career has been. 

35 minutes ago, danhtruong5 said:

The problem is not overperform or underperform. The problem is screen lost. More expected big openers =  more screen lost in short period of time.

Hmm right ...

but look at the performance of big films this weekend .. terrible all around ... except Aladdin