Wormow

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes | November 17, 2023 | Prequel about President Snow | Francis Lawrence to direct | Given a SAG interim agreement

3 hours ago, Speedorito said:

The Hunger Games is supposed to be getting an IMAX release right? Cause my local theater has zero IMAX showings for just this movie.

I've noticed this as well for some locations, and I think theaters are being more conservative with scheduling showtimes until pre-sales prove to be strong. Right now November is a heavy month for big releases, and The Marvels looks extremely saturated with showtimes despite its low sales so far. It makes sense to me that the theater chains are a bit more wary this time around with scheduling, so it'll take longer for IMAX showings to appear. 

• Like 1

Just realized both the original THG leads Jlaw and JHut made their big comebacks this year with No Hard Feelings and Five Nights at Freddy's. lol

Author could write a sequel with both of them one day. Maybe. She isnt a terrible person either like some others which is a bonus.

A person I know who has seen the film said it's really good and an improvement over the book.

It's tracking well according to the Tracking Thread and positive reviews will only boost OW. Just goes to show how manufactured the whole Zegler drama is and the Average Joe and Jane don't give a fuck

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Given there isn't a follow up book to The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, I wonder if Lionsgate is willing to wait for Suzanne Collins or collaborate with her? 

Have to admit, I wouldn't seeing the rise of Alma Coin.

Nina Jacobs(producer) has already said that if Suzanne has an idea for another hunger games book, they will probably make that a movie. But it has to come from her.

Reactions are really strong and rank it as either the best or just below Catching Fire. Very impressive. I sense a breakout coming. 

If it ends up opening to $60m, I can see it come close to $200m.

But right now, I'm expecting $50m/$155m

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

"it wrestles with the franchise’s complicated pop culture legacy"

What complicated legacy?

It's Mendolson. In his old Forbes column he said how it seemed audiences turned on the franchise when the Mockingjays Part 1 and 2 came out because they focused on the politics more than just simply seeing kids kill kids of the first two movies.

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

It's Mendolson. In his old Forbes column he said how it seemed audiences turned on the franchise when the Mockingjays Part 1 and 2 came out because they focused on the politics more than just simply seeing kids kill kids of the first two movies.

Mendolson is always incredibly unlikable.

I think this won't have meh legs like the other HG movies. I could see 50/160 or something like that, which is probably good for 400m WW or so. That's solid for the 100m budget, and Lionsgate's 3rd bright spot this year after JW4 and Saw X.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

"it wrestles with the franchise’s complicated pop culture legacy"

What complicated legacy?

I kinda get where Scott's coming from? Hunger Games is kind of a weird franchise where it's super depressing and hits too close to home, but is also too goofy as a concept to really take it seriously. So like it's in a no man's land of appeal and makes it hard to come back in a post-Trump world. It's like how 24 only ever worked during the Bush years and nowhere else. I have doubts this wrestling is as strong as Mendolsohn says, but I do think this is a franchise that really needs to update itself if it wants to be relevant, and I am curious after this reaction.

And yeah, most of the reactions indicate that, at the very least, Viola and Peter do some great ham and that Rachel supremacy will soon be upon us. That's more than enough for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

I think this won't have meh legs like the other HG movies. I could see 50/160 or something like that, which is probably good for 400m WW or so. That's solid for the 100m budget, and Lionsgate's 3rd bright spot this year after JW4 and Saw X.

THG did not have meh legs - especially for blockbusters and in the YA genre.