DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPIDER-MAN:FAR FROM HOME SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***

For anyone who's wondering what they intend to do with the big mid-credits reveal:

Fandango: The mid-credits scenes in this film were pretty significant. Should we assume that the Peter’s reveal will be a major storyline moving forward for Spider-Man?

Kevin Feige: I think so. Much like the end of Iron Man, saying, okay, the rules have changed. Which now means we're going to have to do something completely different next time. The how and the when and the specifics can change and evolve, but setting yourself up for something that has never been done before... at the end of Iron Man, it was a hero publicly outing himself so that in the next movies and all subsequent movies, we couldn't fall back on the secret identity trope which had been part of Iron Man's story for decades in the comics. And now people know Peter's identity. People now think he's a villain, Mysterio plays one last trick on him and succeeds... [so that] means everything's different. Where it goes, we'll see. But it's exciting that it once again sets us up for a Peter Parker story that has never been done before on film.

Also from io9, which suggests that they won't cop-out with the identity reveal: 

“Peter is back in a position that is very familiar to comic fans which is being in New York City and revered as a villain by the press and by other aspects of the city,” Feige told io9. 

Also, in another quote, Feige may have given a tease of exactly how this will play out moving ahead. The emphasis below is our own.

“The story we wanted to tell [is] to set up Peter for a new spin on a very classic Spider-Man conceit that you haven’t seen since the Raimi movies,” Feige said. “Which is J. Jonah Jameson and the notion of this very loud mouth journalist spouting hate towards him, the twist of Mysterio winning, essentially, in the end, and pulling one last trick so that the public now believes, or at least the news is reporting, that he was responsible for the acts that Mysterio did.”

And from an interview with /Film that indirectly confirms what many of us already believed:

Interviewer: Do you really think Mysterio is actually dead?

Jon Watts: It's Mysterio, so who knows?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Waffles said:

For anyone who's wondering what they intend to do with the big mid-credits reveal:

Also from io9, which suggests that they won't cop-out with the identity reveal: 

And from an interview with /Film that indirectly confirms what many of us already believed:

Watching the scene, I thought Mysterio was just setting Peter up for his death (if he is dead). But it seems the public will believe all the other attacks were caused by Peter too. I know he has access to the EDITH thing from Tony, but would the public really believe a teenager set up all these things? For what purpose, make himself look like a hero? Become the next Tony Stark? I can already imagine the things this JJJ will say about Peter, but is it easy to believe? I feel so bad for him. Can’t wait for the next movie to find out though. Wonder if there’ll be a time jump like this one. Also, I don’t get how Peter is still 16 unless he was only 14 in Civil War. 

@Deja23 I'm assuming he's 14 in Civil War and 16 almost turning 17 in Far From Home. And yeah, the writers (Sommers and McKenna) did intend to make us feel bad for Pete though its interesting they considered a different route for the identity reveal that took place during the London battle

New York Times: Mysterio also frames Spider-Man for the crimes he’s been committing, which would start the next movie in a very different place.

McKENNA: We were wondering, “Are we going as deep as we need to at the end of the movie?” We played with the idea that Peter is the one who sacrifices his identity out of necessity during the final battle, then it seemed more interesting if Mysterio tricks him into doing it, but any time we wrote a version where he was being revealed to the world in that battle, it felt like it diminished the victory. So before it became a tag, it was really just the end of the movie: Right as he feels he’s stepping up as Spider-Man, he has the rug pulled out from under him again.

SOMMERS: We were definitely debating, should we just reveal who Spider-Man is, or should we frame him for something and turn him into a pariah? Ultimately, we decided that both was the way to go. It’s such a triumph at the end because he’s got the girl and finally earned a big swing through the city, so we want to knock him down as far as possible.

And as for whether the public will believe the nonsense Jameson is spouting (about a teenager nonetheless), they had this to say:

McKENNA: Something that had been floating through this entire movie was the idea of “fake news” and how can you believe everything you see? We had been toying with the idea that Mysterio would turn Spider-Man into a villain, just like he did in the comic books, and it felt like that then tied into this J. Jonah 2.0 as the Alex Jones of the MCU.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Deja23 said:

Watching the scene, I thought Mysterio was just setting Peter up for his death (if he is dead). But it seems the public will believe all the other attacks were caused by Peter too. I know he has access to the EDITH thing from Tony, but would the public really believe a teenager set up all these things? For what purpose, make himself look like a hero? Become the next Tony Stark? I can already imagine the things this JJJ will say about Peter, but is it easy to believe? I feel so bad for him. Can’t wait for the next movie to find out though. Wonder if there’ll be a time jump like this one. Also, I don’t get how Peter is still 16 unless he was only 14 in Civil War. 

I do think that majority of the public will not simply believe that Spider-Man is a villian. His story and role in Infinity Saga fighting alongside Avengers (especially IM/Tony Stark who was extremely regarded after his sacrificial death) against Thanos in outer space and Avengers HQ must have been widely known. E.g. in fundraising activities he was hugely popular and deemed to be a potential next Iron Man. Nick Fury et al can also help him to dispel the accusation.

However, "You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain". Human is strange, we like to worship heroes, but we also like to see heroes falling from grace. And story can be more intriguing and tantalizing than a young protege turns rogue after his mentor passed away for good cause?

So a substantial part of the population will be like "Yeah, I know right, how can they be perfect? There must be some scum in Avengers" While Spidey/Peter may not be arrested or convicted for lack of concrete evidence, the police interrogation, the social media influencers's accusation, the suspicious/disdainful look from many (not all) strangers and acquaintance will be enough to wreck havoc in his personal life, school life, familylife and superhero life.

Edited by justvision
  • Like 1

I sort of call BS that the public would buy Spider-Man a menace, they knew he fought on Iron Man's team in Civil War, and has fought alongside Avengers multiple times at this point.

• Thanks 1

The revelation that Marisa Tomei's Aunt May disappeared during The Snap as well was a surprise cause I remember the Russo bros said she was alive in an interview revealing the fates of certain characters we didn't see last year right after Infinity War came out. Did everyone who was off screen at the time of The Snap get blipped lol?

1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I sort of call BS that the public would buy Spider-Man a menace, they knew he fought on Iron Man's team in Civil War, and has fought alongside Avengers multiple times at this point.

Come now, look around - a large portion of the public will believe almost anything regardless of verifiable facts or even what they see & hear with their own eyes and ears

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Come now, look around - a large portion of the public will believe almost anything regardless of verifiable facts or even what they see & hear with their own eyes and ears

And even with Talos being Fury and SHIELD under couldn’t he use some of his government powers to put out that Mysterio was a fraud.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

The revelation that Marisa Tomei's Aunt May disappeared during The Snap as well was a surprise cause I remember the Russo bros said she was alive in an interview revealing the fates of certain characters we didn't see last year right after Infinity War came out. Did everyone who was off screen at the time of The Snap get blipped lol?

Mistakes happen. Remember “Eight Years Later”?

Jake Gyllenhaal's ra-ra speech to his underlings at the bar, was all that was needed, to cement his place as the new #1 villain of 2019 😂😂

Then he goes on to "direct" his show, ordering his underlings to produce only the greatest performance, to leave no doubt that he is the new hero of the people 😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TServo2049 said:

Mistakes happen. Remember “Eight Years Later”?

It still baffles me how they made such a blatant mistake like that. The best guess I can come up with is that they looked at Vision’s “eight years ago” line in CW (which itself is technically a continuity error, given that the first IM film couldn’t have taken place in 2008), and assumed he was somehow referring to the events of The Avengers. 

Tony’s “If you told me ten years ago” is one that could also seem wonky because of the 5-year time skip, but it gets a pass from me because it still works if it’s referring to “before New York.” (Even though that’s 11 years ago, it’s close enough.)

Edited by TServo2049

17 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

There's no indication the public would have any idea that Spider-Man fought alongside the Avengers. Not to mention they had no problem considering Captain America a war criminal after Civil War despite saving the world like 4 times before that movie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mekanos said:

There's no indication the public would have any idea that Spider-Man fought alongside the Avengers. Not to mention they had no problem considering Captain America a war criminal after Civil War despite saving the world like 4 times before that movie. 

Thor is now in textbook. 8 months after Avengers HQ final battle highschoolers still do memoriam for the deceased Avengers. And do you seriously think that the press, the movie industry, the book publication, the pundits, the social media influencers will not try to dig out even the tiniest trivials of what happened in the Snap that took away half living being and the Blip that returned them?

Literally in the opening scenes, it was shown how popular Spidey is. And most importantly, people kept asking him would he be the next Iron Man. It is incredulous to think that the world did not know he fought alongside O6 and other SH against Thanos.

2 minutes ago, justvision said:

Thor is now in textbook. 8 months after Avengers HQ final battle highschoolers still do memoriam for the deceased Avengers. And do you seriously think that the press, the movie industry, the book publication, the pundits, the social media influencers will not try to dig out even the tiniest trivials of what happened in the Snap that took away half living being and the Blip that returned them?

Literally in the opening scenes, it was shown how popular Spidey is. And most importantly, people kept asking him would he be the next Iron Man. It is incredulous to think that the world did not know he fought alongside O6 and other SH against Thanos.

Thor was a public Avenger and Vision's death would be publicly announced. Spider-Man fought alongside the Avengers...

-In an abandoned airport

-On an alien planet

-In the ruins of Avengers HQ

How do we know the public is aware of the details of these events? 

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Thor was a public Avenger and Vision's death would be publicly announced. Spider-Man fought alongside the Avengers...

-In an abandoned airport

-On an alien planet

-In the ruins of Avengers HQ

How do we know the public is aware of the details of these events? 

Yeah, I guess they selectively announced that BW died in outer space, and forgot to tell who have fought Thanos in NY Avenger HQ.

" And do you seriously think that the press, the movie industry, the book publication, the pundits, the social media influencers will not try to dig out even the tiniest trivials of what happened in the Snap that took away half living being and the Blip that returned them? "

And most importantly, people kept asking him would he be the next Iron Man

Edited by justvision
Edit: gosh, I can't believe I spent time explaining this.

18 minutes ago, justvision said:

Yeah, I guess they selectively announced that BW died in outer space, and forgot to tell who have fought Thanos in NY Avenger HQ.

" And do you seriously think that the press, the movie industry, the book publication, the pundits, the social media influencers will not try to dig out even the tiniest trivials of what happened in the Snap that took away half living being and the Blip that returned them? "

And most importantly, people kept asking him would he be the next Iron Man

Why would they disclose who was at Avengers HQ? There were hundreds of people there.

People kept asking if he would be the next Iron Man because he's a famous local New York superhero. He was already famous before he even became an Avenger.

Edited by Mekanos