Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

You are cool and we can respectfully disagree, like with pretty much anyone here. 

The difference is that Avatar didn’t had a quasi sequel in the shape of Far From Home to help it boost it, neither the Summer days to soften its drops. Endgame will easily end up making more than $10m from now until the end of July in the domestic market, a feat that Avatar wasn’t able to. The stagged re-release overseas will grant the reminiscent numbers it will need to overtake Avatar. I expect it to happen still during July, or ironically, around the time that Avatar had its re-release in August. 

Thanks, you too. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing lol. We all just have to remember to be respectful. We will have to see, but the home video release won't heighten its chances. Will definitely be interesting. We can agree that we won't see runs like this anytime soon unless Disney can garner enough interest in Avatar 2. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Not really. Endgame rerelease will be out of cinemas on the 11th according to AMC. It should be in cinemas for around a week or two in most countries.

Citation needed. Nah fam, that’s not how box office runs work. Endgame is doing more money in the same period of time:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=avengersvstarwars.htm

People thinking that Avengers: Endgame will enjoy a box office run shorter than Avengers: Infinity War simply haven’t followed box office runs long enough. Endgame will keep banking because it’s one of the biggest films of all time and it has July all ahead to manage that. It will be around at least until Labor Day in September.

10 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Citation needed. Nah fam, that’s not how box office runs work. Endgame is doing more money in the same period of time:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=avengersvstarwars.htm

People thinking that Avengers: Endgame will enjoy a box office run shorter than Avengers: Infinity War simply haven’t followed box office runs long enough. Endgame will keep banking because it’s one of the biggest films of all time and it has July all ahead to manage that. It will be around at least until Labor Day in September.

Check AMC's twitter. They literally say till the 11th. Pretty sure every other big cinema chain will be done with the rerelease the same around that time. Also, the movie is going to be in cinemas until after labour day but it will be below Infinity War dailies after the theatre count drops back to normal in a week and a half's time.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure the element here, EndGame was not a Nolan 2D movie, it is one of the biggest 3D grosser of all time, probably the biggest IMAX grosser of all time (https://www.imax.com/content/marvel-studios-avengers-endgame-nearly-doubles-imax-all-time-worldwide-opening-box-office) and I would imagine of most PLF format that exist. If made 540m in 3D tickets OW and 91m in IMAX.

You make a good point, I’m just saying Avatar being majority 3D tickets evens the playing field more or less. I’m sure Endgame sold a ton, but definitely not majority 3D. I’m not sure if it is majority 3D + IMAX either. Not at the level of Avatar’s 3D ticket share either way.

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Check AMC's twitter. They literally say till the 11th. Pretty sure every other big cinema chain will be doing the same. Also, it is going to be in cinemas until after labour day but it will be below Infinity War dailies.

Demand is king. If the film keeps strong turnouts, it will keep goiano. And I fail to see how we could make the call if it will be over or below Infinity War dailies. Besides, it’s not about being over IW, it’s about topping Avatar. I think Endgame will comfortably make more $14m domestic and $12m overseas, let’s see what the actuals and the following days tell us.

1 hour ago, Doctor Stark said:

Just leave the thread if you are going to say a bunch of biased crap. Endgame has sold many more tickets worldwide. Exchange rates of Avatar plus 3D tickets negate the inflation, and I’m sure three months ago you would have said the 22-movie hype would hurt the gross due to being too much homework for audiences. Movie DLC on a MUCH smaller scale than Avatar’s. The fact that you put "lol" after every comment shows your are here to stir the pot.

I’m not sure 3D negates the rate of inflation, considering the PLF that’s out there around the world now costs a fortune to attend. IMAX breaks its own records seemingly a few times every year. Can you imagine how massive Avatar would have been in these screens. 

Besides, it’s WW adjusts to around $3.2 billion. If China was what it is now - lord how much would it have made? 

All of this for an original IP? I know what I consider to be the bigger movie. 

I’m no fanboy either way. Enjoyed Avatar and loved Endgame. Fan of both of them. Yet can’t agree Endgame was the bigger ticket seller, specifically as it played in one major market (China) where Avatar just couldn’t play to those numbers. 

If you compare like for like markets it’s not even close. Again....I know you’re trying to say ‘but it’s sold more tickets’. Yet what you’re really wanting to say is it makes it a bigger movie. Which I don’t think it is.  

All opinion of course. 

Without all that PLF money Endgame wouldn’t be at its domestic number it’s on. Avatar had 3D, sure - but there weren’t PLF joints left, right and centre charging the prices people were paying for Endgame. Just ask New Yorkers...

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Demand is king. If the film keeps strong turnouts, it will keep goiano. And I fail to see how we could make the call if it will be over or below Infinity War dailies. Besides, it’s not about being over IW, it’s about topping Avatar. I think Endgame will comfortably make more $14m domestic and $12m overseas, let’s see what the actuals and the following days tell us.

I could make the call because the movie has been making less than IW when it had a similar theatre count and no rerelease hype. I could see it make 12 mil DOM I guess (10 mil from the rerelease, 2 mil from the rest of its run).  14 mil OS seems much harder especially because the rerelease won't be in cinemas for as long as Avatar was.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I could make the call because the movie has been making less than IW when it had a similar theatre count and no rerelease hype. I could see it make 12 mil DOM I guess (10 mil from the rerelease, 2 mil from the rest of its run).  14 mil OS seems much harder especially because the rerelease won't be in cinemas for as long as Avatar was.

We don't really know the actuals yet, and it will be way too close for Disney simply not going for it.

17 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m not sure 3D negates the rate of inflation, considering the PLF that’s out there around the world now costs a fortune to attend. IMAX breaks its own records seemingly a few times every year. Can you imagine how massive Avatar would have been in these screens. 

Besides, it’s WW adjusts to around $3.2 billion. If China was what it is now - lord how much would it have made? 

All of this for an original IP? I know what I consider to be the bigger movie. 

I’m no fanboy either way. Enjoyed Avatar and loved Endgame. Fan of both of them. Yet can’t agree Endgame was the bigger ticket seller, specifically as it played in one major market (China) where Avatar just couldn’t play to those numbers. 

If you compare like for like markets it’s not even close. Again....I know you’re trying to say ‘but it’s sold more tickets’. Yet what you’re really wanting to say is it makes it a bigger movie. Which I don’t think it is.  

All opinion of course. 

Without all that PLF money Endgame wouldn’t be at its domestic number it’s on. Avatar had 3D, sure - but there weren’t PLF joints left, right and centre charging the prices people were paying for Endgame. Just ask New Yorkers...

I’m not saying it is necessarily the bigger movie, just that due to so many factors the playing field is relatively even. I agree Endgame’s China numbers could not be matched by Avatar due to the difference in theater counts, but it did not just beat it there. It beat it in Latina America, China, India, the domestic market, etc. Europe is one of the places where Avatar definitely beat Endgame in admissions. Of course the PLF formats are very expensive and prop up Endgame’s gross, but they are not the vast majority of its tickets sold like 3D tickets were for Avatar. It’s not just 3D that negates it, it’s Avatar’s recession exchange rates as well. Super high then, versus as low as they have been almost ever for Endgame. Give Endgame any other year’s exchange rates and it would already be well over Avatar’s total.

14 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

I’m not saying it is necessarily the bigger movie, just that due to so many factors the playing field is relatively even. I agree Endgame’s China numbers could not be matched by Avatar due to the difference in theater counts, but it did not just beat it there. It beat it in Latina America, China, India, the domestic market, etc. Europe is one of the places where Avatar definitely beat Endgame in admissions. Of course the PLF formats are very expensive and prop up Endgame’s gross, but they are not the vast majority of its tickets sold like 3D tickets were for Avatar. It’s not just 3D that negates it, it’s Avatar’s recession exchange rates as well. Super high then, versus as low as they have been almost ever for Endgame. Give Endgame any other year’s exchange rates and it would already be well over Avatar’s total.

I get what you’re saying. Yet I do think the PLF for Endgame was a massive feather in its cap. Almost making up for the 3D factor, especially when you consider regular old 2D tickets are more expensive than they would have been for Avatar. 

US theaters now have a ridiculous amount of PLF screens compared to 2009/10. I’d love to know the difference. 

I can only recall what it was like when Avatar made $150 million over here in the U.K.  Endgame did $113 million. Inflation probably takes them close to level, but what about PLF differences? I know I paid more for my Endgame tickets than I did for Avatar in £

I think we’re on the same page though. Let’s just say it’s close between the two. Lol. 

Both mega movies. 

I hope Endgame gets over it on this run. It’s kind of about time Avatar fell, considering lots of us never thought it would ever happen. Kudos to it. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Hi, where can I find the weekend thread? 

right here PS, it's weird though I was told EG would do 7+ but it did 5.5? The overseas number looks small aswell... a sad weekend I have to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I get what you’re saying. Yet I do think the PLF for Endgame was a massive feather in its cap. Almost making up for the 3D factor, especially when you consider regular old 2D tickets are more expensive than they would have been for Avatar. 

US theaters now have a ridiculous amount of PLF screens compared to 2009/10. I’d love to know the difference. 

I think we’re on the same page though. Let’s just say it’s close between the two. Lol. 

Both mega movies. 

I hope Endgame gets over it on this run. It’s kind of about time Avatar fell, considering lots of us never thought it would ever happen. Kudos to it. 

Fair enough my friend! I view them as equals that both had huge, different advantages that lead them to around the same gross ten years apart. Both had extremely different runs as well. Crazy how close they are...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Hi, where can I find the weekend thread? 

You’re so right. 

Back on topic. 

TS4 - decent drop for it considering it had such a big opening. $380-410 range right now. Crucial will be how it holds up when FFH opens this week. 

Annabelle - better weekend than it was looking on Thursday, but I thought this was a banker to do over $100 million domestic. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

right here PS, it's weird though I was told EG would do 7+ but it did 5.5? The overseas number looks small aswell... a sad weekend I have to say.

Higher than Avatar Special Edition’s first weekend. That must have been a very depressing weekend if this is a sad one. We’ll see if this one has any legs though.

I've typed up a couple of versions of this post and keep deleting it.  After reflection, I think I'll make this comment instead:

It is simply too early to definitively say one way or the other on the A v EG battle.  We won't know more until we see:

1) The daily numbers this week.

2) The drop next weekend (especially in the face of FFH's rollout), both in theaters and overall dollars.

3) More of the international rollout.

As we get more info from the above, the picture will get sharper.  Folks can make points in either direction, and rightfully so.  But points are all they are.

And even then, Disney can be absolutely bloodyminded when it comes to keeping a film in theaters when it wants to, long after a home release has been done.  

So, sadly for those of us who just want this all to be over one way or the other, all this weekend has really done is say: It's gonna be close either way.  

• Like 11

Just now, Doctor Stark said:

Higher than Avatar Special Edition’s first weekend. That must have been a very depressing weekend if this is a sad one. We’ll see if this one has any legs though.

what's Avatar got to do with this?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1