Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

18 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I wonder if Levitt would still be a choice. I see some people claiming this will bomb and that Netflix will soon cancel it. Those saying that clearly haven’t read what the article entails. This has the potential to become as big if not bigger than Stranger Things, and with Warner stupidly passing the project, it’s implied that it was sold for a considerable amount of money. Netflix is making it impossible for me to leave once Disney + hits around here.

My main problem is that some folks have such a deep emotional connection with The Sandman that the internet backlash could be fierce if it doesn't land just right.

I mean, if you think Star Wars fans throw their toys out of the pram when they get colicy... qnqGT0e.png qnqGT0e.png qnqGT0e.png

Still, the reception to American Gods (the first season at least) and especially Good Omens has been good, so who knows.  

Just... 

Well hope for the best, I suppose. 

I do see that Neil Gaiman is still attached to this as an Executive Producer, so that's good.  But how much he's actually involved (as exec producers can vary in power and influence)?  Well time will tell as it usually does.

• Like 2

I think July is going to be a very interesting month, not just for the new releases, but for the holdovers, too.

I say this because July only has six new nationwide releases. Six. That's not a lot of releases at all. So if a few films don't completely hog the audiences all to themselves (*glares at Spider-Man and The Lion King*), then we could see a lot of films benefit from the lack of releases. At least, this is my hope.

For instance, a film that might be able to have better legs than people are expecting is Yesterday, because it's a feel-good film that won't really have anything directly competing against it.

Plus, there's the horror film Crawl. If $40M's worth of moviegoers are seeing The Meg on opening weekend, I think Crawl has the potential to be a sleeper hit.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a huge wildcard, but I think it has potential, too.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I think July is going to be a very interesting month, not just for the new releases, but for the holdovers, too.

I say this because July only has six new nationwide releases. Six. That's not a lot of releases at all. So if a few films don't completely hog the audiences all to themselves (*glares at Spider-Man and The Lion King*), then we could see a lot of films benefit from the lack of releases. At least, this is my hope.

For instance, a film that might be able to have better legs than people are expecting is Yesterday, because it's a feel-good film that won't really have anything directly competing against it.

Plus, there's the horror film Crawl. If $40M's worth of moviegoers are seeing The Meg on opening weekend, I think Crawl has the potential to be a sleeper hit.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a huge wildcard, but I think it has potential, too.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is my #2 most anticipated after TLK, but being a Tarantino joint, it's a total wildcard. It has potential to break out if it's well received by critics and audiences (better than The Hateful Eight which was a feel-bad film even though I liked it). I'm throwing down for $44M OW and $146M DOM total mostly on the strength of Leo. Maybe $430M WW.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ACSlater said:

By the way, is there an official petition to have Sandy B in John Wick 4?

Meh. Carrie Anne Moss. Keep The Matrix crossover going until revealing Wick's universe is actual just a program within The Matrix. I'd get Hugo in it too. Hell, Jet Li as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

You really should see it. It’s fantastic. One of the movies of the year. 

I really enjoyed Aladdin, but it’s nowhere near TS4 league.  Couldn’t recommend it more highly. 

I think Aladdin was way better than TS4 tbh. Came out of it much more content and many I know said the same.

Edited by DisposedData
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DisposedData said:

I think Aladdin was way better than TS4 tbh. Came out of it much more content and many I know said the same.

Basically no chance I enjoy it more. My daughter's favorite movie and it's always awesome to experience their unbridled joy. Additionally I loved it as well. Reminded me of watching the first one as a kid.

How does Box Office Mojo remain so popular when they’re so bad at this stuff? Aside from killing the forums and making obvious mistakes (like Dumbo this week) their writeups are never insightful. At least Guru makes interesting historical comparisons in the weekend writeup.

23 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

How does Box Office Mojo remain so popular when they’re so bad at this stuff? Aside from killing the forums and making obvious mistakes (like Dumbo this week) their writeups are never insightful. At least Guru makes interesting historical comparisons in the weekend writeup.

They don't really have to be good, they're basically the only game in town.

They've got the numbers (and the garbage inflation calculator)

They've got the URL

They've got name and brand recognition.

When the trades are essentially using you as the basis for their own articles, there's no incentive to change anything you're doing. It's not like Deadline or Forbes or IndieWire is going to provide any competition. Not only do they not have the numbers, but their writers are all worse, their analysis is Barkley-tier.... BOM gets to be whatever they want. There's no competition.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Meh. Carrie Anne Moss. Keep The Matrix crossover going until revealing Wick's universe is actual just a program within The Matrix. I'd get Hugo in it too. Hell, Jet Li as well.

Yes! Carrie-Ann over Sandy for JW4! And let's make her + the other 2 part of the high table, how badass would that be?!!

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

Does Guru list all of the data starting in 1980?

Can we talk about Austin Powers adjusted? 

International Man of Mystery: $105m

The Spy Who Shagged Me: $365m

Goldmember: $330m

Peak comedy box office of my lifetime for sure. I saw Spy Who Shagged Me in theaters when I was 13 and honestly thought it was the funniest thing I had ever seen.