Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread: Actuals - TS4 59.7, Annabelle 20.3 (31.1 5-Day), Yesterday 17, Aladdin 10.1, Pets 7.3, MIB 6.7, Endgame 6.1

4 minutes ago, Nero said:

It's BoT being BoT nothing new... TS4 is doing great... 

But you don't get it man, it was supposed to have 90 million this weekend after 170-180 last week! Or something like that, sarcasm is of course implied here. I don't think anyone doubted that it would do great (and if they did someone should revoke their box office badge), the issue is it didn't quite line up to some people's expectations, and those expectations were driven by publications that didn't do their proper homework when looking at the tracking for the film. It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Solid drop for TS4. Excellent hold again for Aladdin. Better than expected Sunday for EG. 

Very curious what kind of numbers EG does this holiday week and coming weekend.

not just better, the sunday drop for endgame is crazy

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Solid drop for TS4. Excellent hold again for Aladdin. Better than expected Sunday for EG. 

Very curious what kind of numbers EG does this holiday week and coming weekend.

Depends how many theaters it ends up losing on Tuesday to Spider-Man. From what I understood the initial plan was to double the theater count and then those would go to Spider-Man on Tuesday and Endgame would get to keep what it had before and maybe a handful more. But now that it's doing better than they were probably realistically expecting it might keep more of its screens than they were initially planning. So I expect Endgame to only lose 400-500 tops on Tuesday instead of the 900 or so it could have. We won't know until tomorrow what's what, but one thing is certain, as far as box office goes we've got some exciting days ahead of us, between Spider-man, Endgame, Aladdin's very impressive legs and then of course the big one, The Lion King in two and a half weeks.

Very good drop overall for Toy Story 4, pretty strong IM over the weekend. This must lock 400m with a solid chance to catch Cap Marvel's 426m.

Aladdin's legs are being the story of the summer besides Endgame OW craziness. 350m finish? After Dumbo's meltdown last March, very few people saw this kind of numbers for Aladdin DOM and WW. 

Edited by picores

13 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

In a 23 mile radius around me, in a major metropolitan area, Endgame is going from 13 theaters today with strong PT presales, to 12 theaters tomorrow with very weak PT presales, to a single screen on discount Tuesday with 0 presales.

If one listens carefully, that’s the sound of all of Endgame’s demand being sucked up by this weekend’s limited time event. Is this definitive? No... it’s not over till the fat lady sings... but she’s hummin’ a few bars right now. 🎶 

There's likely a perfectly reasonable explanation for this.

Since Tuesday/Wednesday are the release days this week, most chains won't have anything past Monday (except maybe this last weekends openers and FFH) until they get their full bookings in and a new schedule made.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, AlexMA said:

Depends how many theaters it ends up losing on Tuesday to Spider-Man. From what I understood the initial plan was to double the theater count and then those would go to Spider-Man on Tuesday and Endgame would get to keep what it had before and maybe a handful more. But now that it's doing better than they were probably realistically expecting it might keep more of its screens than they were initially planning. So I expect Endgame to only lose 400-500 tops on Tuesday instead of the 900 or so it could have. We won't know until tomorrow what's what, but one thing is certain, as far as box office goes we've got some exciting days ahead of us, between Spider-man, Endgame, Aladdin's very impressive legs and then of course the big one, The Lion King in two and a half weeks.

also dont forget ts4, the movie is around 500 mill in its sec weekend, i mean ..

@MCKillswitch123 Fucking gigantic opening for Annabelle Comes Home. For reference, Creation sold 38.000 tickets on OW in the heart of August 2 years ago. Of course if doesn't come close to the monstrous 112.000 tickets debut of The Nun, but it is still massive (3rd biggest OW for a horror movie, just behind The Nun and IT).

Toy Story 4 also had a strong debut and it has 10 more days to dominate until The Lion King arrives, and it will be the 2nd option for families until Angry Birds on August 15th (Uglydolls on August 1st might make some damages, tho)

https://www.ica-ip.pt/fotos/downloads/ranking_fds_27_a_30_junho_2019_225225d19ee0c3c014.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

Great Sunday hold for AE.

Would love to see TS4 hit 60 but it is now looking at a 2nd weekend above TS3.

As usual Aladdin with great legs 

Yesterday probably hiy 17M with actuals and is the first movie to significantly outperform expectations since Aladdin.

The movies outside the top 10 are going to get killed starting on Tuesday.

Around me here are how the lower end films fare in terms of screens.

XDP goes from 2 screens and 3 1/2 screens to 1 1/2 screen

KOTM goes from 5 screens and 2 single showings to 1 screen

JW3 goes from 5 screens and 1 1/2 screen to 1 screen

All the other lower end films - LN, Ma, Anna are gone.

TS4 loses an avg of 1 screen per theater on Tuesday - mostly PLF screens. But it still has an average of around 3 screens per theater

Yesterday is actually gaining a showing at a couple of the theaters around me.

FFH is opening on an average of 4 screens per theater around me including all the PLF's.

the weekend TLK comes out is going to be a bloodbath for all but a couple of movies imo.

I expect FFH and TS4 will still likely get 2 screens at most theaters. Aladdin will get 1. TLK will likely get 4-5. Those 4 movies will likely take over half the screens at most theaters, not leaving much room for other movies. Stuber and Crawl will only be in their second weeks so they will still get a screen. After that what is left for other movies. Except at very large theaters (20+) there isn't going to be many showings left.

one other note for tomorrow. The theater near me that does the $5 tuesday promotion is including FFH with that.

Edited by RamblinRed
add FFH Tuesday discount
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Endgame $1.95mn Sunday. That's better than I expected.

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

TS 4 19.6

Annabelle 5.9

Yday 4.9

Aladdin 3.05

Slop 2.3

Mibi 2.1

Enough?

Assuming Friday and Saturday stay exactly the same.

TS4 - 59.6

Annabelle - 20.15 (31 5-Day)

Yesterday - 17.1

Aladdin - 9.8

SLOP2 - 7.2

MIB - 6.6

EG - 6.1

That jump for EG alone is massive. And hopefully Toy Story and Aladdin just manage to reach the 60/10 mark respectively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

DORY had a 3.6x multi off the ow while I2 did 3.35x.

3.4-3.5x for TS4 can be expected. Gives 410-425 dom.

looks like TS4 will cross CM .. 3.53x 

Edited by Sunny Max

Just now, john2000 said:

captain marvel made 426, so not at all comfortably, not even close to that

3.4x - 3.5x can be expected ..which means 410 to 425 M .... with little push movie might cross CM ($426 M) ..

1 minute ago, Sunny Max said:

3.4x - 3.5x can be expected ..which means 410 to 425 M .... with little push movie might cross CM ($426 M) ..

my point was the word comfortable, it wont pass captain marvel comfortably

Edited by john2000