Eric Quinn

SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME WEEK THREAD l 93.6M 3-Day, 185.1M 6-Day. l ****NO SPOILERS**** | Sale $5 off Gold/Premium/Silver l Other #s - TS4 34.3, YDay 10.7, Annabelle 9.7, Aladdin 7.6, Midsommar 6.6 (10.9 5-Day)

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I'm really kind of flabbergasted I saw you guys who are complaining how about a 40 million dollar Tuesday lol do you guys have any idea how big that is? It's a 40 million dollar opening day and it's got the July Fourth holiday coming up. not every Marvel movie has to make 600 million dollars to be a success. In fact when the dust settles and clears far from home will probably end up being one of the top five standalone Marvel films. Some of you guys need to take or give your head a good shake.

Take Captain Marvel’s previews out and FFH made about the same as that movie did....on a Tuesday, with discounts.  

You remember CM right? That must-see movie before Endgame? The one people were losing their minds over in terms of how well it did? Lol

Tuesday number is amazing. Deadline was right with their low end estimate. STOP THE PRESSES! I still think that FFH will make 375-400 and should have an opening 6 days of 180-190. It may struggle to get much higher than 400.

That is why I think it would have been an easier path for it to build a super comfortable cushion (220+/6 days) in order to fend off any erosion from TLK. 

FFH was far superior to HC for me and it deserves every penny it gets and then some. Word of mouth should be great on this one. Hoping for a nice hold today. Would be great for the summer box office. I thought this summer would be a record summer. How wrong I was. But we still got FFH, Endgame, Aladdin, John Wick 3 as standouts. Movies are something we all love, therefore we should be rooting for a healthy box office all around.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, MattW said:

I'd be surprised if even 5% of theaters gave ffm the Tuesday discount. Tuesday and Wednesday openers don't get it, never have.

The best theater in Chicago's Southwest Suburbs did.  It is a Marcus Theater and would assume all Marcus Theaters also had $5 Tuesdays. So that is over 1000 screens.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Even if 25% of theaters gave the discount it would only affect the gross by 3-4 million max (assuming an average discount of 30%). Bigger factor imo is that it was a pure weekday with no holiday or holiday the day after. We'll see how today goes.

homecoming without previews made 35 mill ON FRIDAY, while ffh without midnights made 36 ON TUESDAY, plus tommorrow july 4 are holidays right ?

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

I can't believe people are trying to say discount Tuesday made no difference. Almost every theater in Canada had discount Tuesday. That's a huge chunk and it seems quite a lot of theaters in the US had discount Tuesday as well. Remember they are 50% off. That's a huge difference.

Edited by ban1o

Just now, ban1o said:

I can't believe people are trying to say discount Tuesday made no difference. Almost every theater in Canada had discount Tuesday. That's a huge chunk and it seem squite a lot of theaters in the US had discount Tuesday as well. Remember they are 50% off. That's a huge difference.

Not all discounts are 50%, that tends to be the max but at my theater it's more like 30%. Even with all 50% discounts (very very high estimate) and assuming 40% of theaters (very very high estimate) gave the discount and assuming that demand would have stayed the same without the discount the difference would be 7.2 million, so the true difference was likely much less than that.

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Not all discounts are 50%, that tends to be the max but at my theater it's more like 30%. Even with all 50% discounts (very very high estimate) and assuming 40% of theaters (very very high estimate) gave the discount and assuming that demand would have stayed the same without the discount the difference would be 7.2 million, so the true difference was likely much less than that.

in Canada every theatre is 50% off lol. Like every single one. It's not a very very high estimate.

Edited by ban1o

Discount makes a difference WTF people? It slashes the admission price quite considerably. sure, that attracts audience to the theater but rush is never on the level of weekend. that FFH made that much with discount plus post-Canada day slump (in Canada) bodes super well for the rest of its run. 

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

in Canada every theatre is 50% off lol. Like every single one. It's not a very very high estimate.

Not so in the USA, and that would have to make up a decent portion of discount giving theaters for it to make a big difference like you're suggesting.

9 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

That is a phenomenal start for a tough sell horror film that opened in less than 2000 theaters on a discount Tuesday. Could this be another Hereditary-like sleeper leg beast?

Edited by MCKillswitch123