sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

SDCC #1 WW announcement here we come :ohmygod:

I usually do not care, but I think for Feige (who is still a shy person, even if nowadays way more trained for interviews and crowds) standing before I think around 2000 people telling them THAT (and more about the upcoming MCUs), .... the idea makes me smile a little bit.

Imagining this possibility is maybe the only reason I 'stan' for it reaching it in general a little bit (beside not even liking A:EG), and also for a fast enough result

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

My theater has $5 Mondays. And, $5 Tuesdays for Rewards Members. Membership is free. Just use it to track data as to what you see. So... Catch most of them one of those two days if I don't feel inspired to see it opening night. It's also within 10 minutes walking distance so no transportation fee or hassle.

Tickets are easily 10-12 here, no special day prices, that’s California for you I guess. I might sign up for Regal’s new plan though, my local Regal is huge with one of the best IMAX screens in the country.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I usually do not care, but I think for Feige (who is still a shy person, even if nowadays way more trained for interviews and crowds) standing before I think around 2000 people telling them THAT (and more about the upcoming MCUs), .... the idea makes me smile a little bit.

Imagining this possibility is maybe the only reason I 'stan' for it reaching it in general a little bit (beside not even liking A:EG), and also for a fast enough result

When Feige took the job back in the Iron Man days he had no idea he was spearheading what was going to be the biggest media franchise of the 21st century. Must feel good that after Ike Perlmutter got kicked out Phase 3 had nonstop hit after hit. 

• Like 5

Amazing hold for Aladdin.

As far as movie watching - I generally get to about 12 a year. Having a family will do that to you. Almost all the movies have been on Tuesday or weekend matinee. I'm actually ahead of pace this year (partially due to getting to see 2 movies as special free screenings - would have seen Yday regardless, MIB likely would have skipped).

LEGO2

CM (Thur night)

Shazam

Pika

AE (Friday afternoon)

Aladdin

Yesterday (free screening)

MIB Intl (free screening)

FFH (Tuesday night $5 tickets)

TS4

Family has tickets to TLK for this Friday afternoon.

I'm hoping to see Rocketman with a buddy in the next week or 2 

After that TROS is the only definite. Frozen 2 is pretty likely as is Jumanji though neither is a guarantee. 

Looking back on it now I don't think I have paid full night price for any movie this year except CM. AE was a Friday matinee and FFH was discount Tuesday. TLK will be at a matinee price as well. 

TROS is likely to be the next movie that will be at full price as my son will want to see it preview night. 

So I guess looking back I have seen 10 movies in the theaters so far this year and paid for 8, with only one being paid for at the full night ticket price.

If I didn't see movies at matinee type prices i'd probably reduce my movies seen by 25-30%. 

With my daughter getting married this fall and my wife going through breast cancer recovery i'll likely be seeing fewer movies in theaters for the next 12-18 months as I don't expect to have alot of discretionary income.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, Mekanos said:

When Feige took the job back in the Iron Man days he had no idea he was spearheading what was going to be the biggest media franchise of the 21st century. Must feel good that after Ike Perlmutter got kicked out Phase 3 had nonstop hit after hit. 

:wub: totally think so too

Perlutter, Arad,... yes, both did not only not support the multi idea, but even trying to hinder it. Many stupid early decisions are based on those two.

That is exactly why I hope for a day/moment like that, especially as I think a shy person had it even worse against those two loud-mouthed narrow minded macho-like behaving wanna-be film-makers (I really do not like both of them, nor Rothman, who changed from FOX to Sony after an involuntary break)

For me the awareness for him starts even earlier, I was so 'afraid' about X-Men 1 then as it was ~ the first try I dared to watch after the last DC versions brought CBMs for me down.

Acc to a lot of hints and interviews by the then involved, he is in a big way responsible for adding exact the details that made it ~ real and still CBM. As then at the beginning still only being an intern.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So much salt. FG... Haha. Don't sweat it. Disney will propel Avatar back to the top when the time comes just before Avatar 2 hits theaters.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

Your pessimism is misplaced, Cameronian.

4 minutes ago, Doctor Stark said:

Fudge Game.

Yeah, don't take his bait folks.  Just chuckle at his salt and move on.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, don't take his bait folks.  Just chuckle at his salt and move on.

?

Finger slipped hit F instead of E.

Glad an entertaining movie like Alladin is doing so well

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Honestly didn't realize how few movies some catch in theaters here. I totally understand there are many, many very valid reasons to not catch as many as I and others do. Maybe I should cut back... 😐.

For me its solely my location - time needed.

The few near-ish countryside cinemas seldom show what I'd like to see and their equipment isn't the best to outright bad, but to see what I'd like to see in a good quality cinemas means at least 2+ hours extra for travel time, parking place, being in the cinema early enough for.... = mostly more like 3 hours extra.

Add advertising/trailer, all for a 2 hour movie, I simple have not the time for doing that more often than only occasionally

I do watch at home per HV, but my main media is audio-books as I can work at the same time (depending on what work I am doing some I need 100% focus = not even music is on)

3 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

- snip -

With my daughter getting married this fall and my wife going through breast cancer recovery i'll likely be seeing fewer movies in theaters for the next 12-18 months as I don't expect to have alot of discretionary income.

Fingers crossed for your wife, you, and your family all will be as well as possible as long as possible.

Weddings.... hopefully she and the groom / the other family's members are sensible.

• Like 1