sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Dude chill, you tend to be considerably rude. 

Not really i am just so tired of seeing so much cheering for a monopoly like Disney. It is bad for the movie business as a whole. People should cheer for other studios to be successful as well.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

10 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

Why the hell are you forgetting other movies like Aquaman, Jurassic W2,

:wintf::winomg:

He’s talking about “ once in a lifetime “ achievement made by MCU where they produced *almost* 6 back to back movies to gross over $1B mark In just 1 and a half year. So tell me why he should add movies like AQM and JW 2 into his post? Both doesn’t have any connection or correlation at all with MCU. Would be very very random Lol. 

Spoiler

Or maybe you’re just salty 😏

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

Not really i am just so tired of seeing so much cheering for a monopoly like Disney. It is bad for the movie business as a whole. People should cheer for other studios to be successful as well.

There is no monopoly. there are other studios and there are other types of movies. Disney sure as hell has no monopoly over Oscar contenders/prestige and indies, for example. And there are quite a few insanely successful franchises that aren't Disney either.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's literally my calender this year, missing Aladdin due to exams + 1-2 Punjabi films.

Are you serious no movies from other studios like Shazam, John Wick, Annabelle, IT, Joker, Hobbs, Godzilla, Rocketman, Once upon a time, Crawl, Midsommar ect.

11 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

Are you serious no movies from other studios like Shazam, John Wick, Annabelle, IT, Joker, Hobbs, Godzilla, Rocketman, Once upon a time, Crawl, Midsommar ect.

Among these, only OUATIH. Not much interest in IT 2 with adult cast. Shazam I wanted to watch but now after I watched film digitally, glad I didn't.

Don't care abt stuff like Godzilla and Hobbs. Rocketman has no appeal.

Jumanji 2 will watch.

https://twitter.com/itsjat32/status/1079036619611619328?s=19

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 2

Guess I'm one of the odd people out as from that list, I am only going to save half of them in the theater and have seen many other movies besides Disney.  Didn't know I would be rare in that aspect 😛 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

Guess I'm one of the odd people out as from that list, I am only going to save half of them in the theater and have seen many other movies besides Disney.  Didn't know I would be rare in that aspect 😛 

Me, too...I've only seen 2 of those Disney/Sony movies in theater (1 Disney, 1 Sony)...and I've seen quite a few in theater movies this year:)...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Me, too...I've only seen 2 of those Disney/Sony movies in theater (1 Disney, 1 Sony)...and I've seen quite a few in theater movies this year:)...

yeah I saw Cap Marvel, Endgame and Aladdin.  I'll see Star Wars 9 but that's the only Disney stuff I plan to see this year.  Kind of wish I didn't see one of those in theaters, but hey, what can you do? :P

but yeah I saw Midsommar and Crawl just the past 4 days and other stuff, as well.  Can't wait until Hobbs and Shaw, It 2 and others

• Like 1

For the record, the film business, from an investment standpoint, is one of the worst out there. You can't have a monopoly because viewers, ultimately, are fickle. Its not a totally dominatable industry so long as there are other studio majors. Its part of why the MCU is so impressive, but also why Disney will not always be the number 1 studio (even if it retains that position more consistently than other studios)

Disney is hardly responsible for the by and large mediocre offerings from its competitors so far this year. Clearly there are exceptions, I for one enjoyed HTTYD3, Us and Shazam, but these films cant compete with the likes of EG, TS4 and FFH

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

You cant force people to like or dislike some movies.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

And I just realized that there hasn't been a single non Marvel/non Disney Hollywood(I ain't counting China)movie that has topped Antman and the Wasp domestically OR worldwide so far this year! Hollywood can't even outdo Marvel's B squad.  

49ee4d1d3f8d11bc2043fdce65b7a5ba.gif

The year looks really sad until It chapter 2.:whosad:

Antman is mcu c squad

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

11 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

For the record, the film business, from an investment standpoint, is one of the worst out there.

Film business yes, franchise business a la Disney it is quite good for them.

• Like 1

The film industry today faces a problem that share the similarities with our society and climate. Box office number is becoming more and more extreme.

Film can go extremely successful than ever but when they flop, they flop bigger than ever. 

To be profitable, you can only either go extremely big, or be extremely small in budget. The mid-budget films are dying.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

These are the movies i watched in the theater this year so far.

Alita 3D

Cold Pursuit

Captain Marvel 3D

Greta

Shazam 3D

Endgame 3D

Curse of La Llorona

JW 3

Pokemon 3D

Godzilla 3D

Annabelle 3

Midsommar

Spidey Far From Home

planning to see Crawl this week

42 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

If another studio had anything close to as high a hit rate in terms of making movies I enjoyed, you better believe I’d be cheering for them as well.

• Like 2

revised estimates for FFH

Movie Gross % Change Theaters Total Gross Week
1 (1) Spider-Man: Far From Home $45,400,000 -51% 4,634   $274,629,305 2
Jul 12, 2019 1 $13,355,000 +50% 4,634 $2,882   $242,584,305 11
Jul 13, 2019 1 $18,115,000 +36% 4,634 $3,909   $260,699,305 12
Jul 14, 2019 1 $13,930,000 -23% 4,634 $3,006   $274,629,305 13

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

Disney isn't a monopoly. They're the clear top dog, but there are still noteworthy competitors. If you're uncomfortable about their dominance this year in particular, they are probably just pushing their big titles this year to fatten their Disney+ catalog before launch. Universal or WB have a chance of outgrossing them next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Meh. Have faith in Hobbs & Shaw, It, Hunt, Joker, Doctor Sleep, Jumanji should all do well it really well. 

I don't know about the joker tho, I feel like it's separation from comic book material and creating a new unknown version of the joker won't have large appeal from GA

I read the script and I think that the movie is great as a psychological thriller, but not CM movie about one of the most known villans of all time

Idk, maybe I change my mind when I see the movie, but have bad feelings about it now.

Jumanji looks great from the trailer, it will drop a bit domestically but can make a good amount WW.

IT 2 also can perform well and top the first one WW, specially with the lack of competition( the first was good but not great TBH).

Doctor who looks good too and should perform well.

So yes, second have of 2019 looks a bit promising for other non- Disney studios, specially WB 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

I mean yea, I've got my own opinion on this but I understand that not everyone will share it, and I'm totally cool with that. I also understand that I may not know the full story, or the context behind everything being said, as I'm only going off things I have read on this forum and on articles on the internet (and we all know that the internet NEVER lies or stretches the truth).

But to me it seems like the real problem is the fact that actors from various minorities or different sexual orientations/genders are not given equal opportunities for roles in Hollywood. It has always been a problem, and it looks like it still is. This whole ScarJo controversy seems to be a symptom of the problem, not the cause of it. Because of course, I think any actor should have the opportunity to play any role they want. They just have to audition or be contacted by the casting directors like any other actor, and they need to have equal consideration based on their talent, not their identity. So in theory, yes I think an actor/actress should be able to play any role they are suited for talent-wise, but the problem is that transgender actors (in this case in particular) have been given very little opportunities in Hollywood

So if ScarJo wants to play a role, I think she should be able to, as long as all other actors have been given fair consideration due to their talent rather than their identity or bankability. And Hollywood does need to become more inclusive with transgender actors, including in roles where the character is not transgender. Could a transgender actor play the next Wolverine in the MCU? Of course! There is nothing about the character of Wolverine that says a transgender actor cannot play him. Because he is a character, and an actor is an actor. They are separate. But these actors aren't getting the fair consideration they deserve, that is why it is such a slippery slope.

Anyways, those are my two cents. I completely understand if people see it another way, and I am not opposed to changing my views if I'm presented with a different perspective. :) So if people do see the situation differently, which I know many people do, I really do like that these Forums are an amalgamation of different perspectives, and I would love to discuss those perspectives. 

Scarlett Johansson gained a lot of respect from me. I have often disagreed with her on issues, but here, she was spot on. An actor should play any role offered to her that she also has an interest in. 

18 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

If another studio had anything close to as high a hit rate in terms of making movies I enjoyed, you better believe I’d be cheering for them as well.

So you have not seen any movie from other studios ?

What about Shazam since you seem to be a Superhero movie fan ?