sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - Spider-Man FFH $45.35M | Toy Story 4 $20.95M | CRAWL $12.01M | STUBER $8.23M | Yesterday $6.70M | Aladdin 6.17M

And I just realized that there hasn't been a single non Marvel/non Disney Hollywood(I ain't counting China)movie that has topped Antman and the Wasp domestically OR worldwide so far this year! Hollywood can't even outdo Marvel's B squad.  

49ee4d1d3f8d11bc2043fdce65b7a5ba.gif

The year looks really sad until It chapter 2.:whosad:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

Most people in North America in 2019...

"What have you seen in Theaters this year?"

Captain Marvel

Endgame

ALadain

Toy Story 4

Far From Home

The Lion King 

Frozen 2

Star Wars 9...

"what about other films?

"There were other films released? "

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Disbelief 1

13 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

And I just realized that there hasn't been a single non Marvel/non Disney Hollywood(I ain't counting China)movie that has topped Antman and the Wasp domestically OR worldwide so far this year! Hollywood can't even outdo Marvel's B squad.  

49ee4d1d3f8d11bc2043fdce65b7a5ba.gif

The year looks really sad until It chapter 2.:whosad:

Lol i'm unsure if IT 2 can top AMATW WW either

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Captain Marvel

Endgame

ALadain

Toy Story 4

Far From Home

The Lion King 

Frozen 2

Star Wars 9...

"what about other films?

I never took the claims seriously that Disney was becoming a monopoly by buying Fox but it is quite clear that the consumers have made up their mind that Disney is the only product that they are buying.  That doesn't make them a monopoly though. Not yet at least. The other studios need to step up and make movies that people actually want to throw down 30-100 dollars a pop to see. Cause it's way too easy to wait for the streaming release to justify spending that type of money weekend after weekend.  I see maybe 2 or 3 movies a month now if even that and most of the time it is a super hero film or a horror film. Movies that I can actually feel should be watched with a big crowd. Rocketman looks good but I can wait to see it on red box.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

Lol i'm unsure if IT 2 can top AMATW WW either

It will at least top it domestically which I'm not sure Hobbs and Shaw will if this weak summer is anything to go by. This has been the worst summer for movies in years. 

At this point I'm legit afraid that other non-Disney studios are going to pull a Fox and throw in the towel. People here know I'm a Disney defender but I sure as hell don't want them to be the only player in the game.

That being said, we may find that - much like the theory that Endgame sucked the air out of the box office - Disney sucked the air out of the box office in general in 2019. Next year will be a total down year for Disney and we may see some huge unexpected grosses from other studios' films, as people's money and attention is freed up. I really hope this happens, rather than the theory that people still won't show up for non Disney movies regardless.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, eddyxx said:

I never took the claims seriously that Disney was becoming a monopoly by buying Fox but it is quite clear that the consumers have made up their mind that Disney is the only product that they are buying.  That doesn't make them a monopoly though. Not yet at least. The other studios need to step up and make movies that people actually want to throw down 30-100 dollars a pop to see. Cause it's way too easy to wait for the streaming release to justify spending that type of money weekend after weekend.  I see maybe 2 or 3 movies a month now if even that and most of the time it is a super hero film or a horror film. Movies that I can actually feel should be watched with a big crowd. Rocketman looks good but I can wait to see it on red box.

I dont know if this will seem coherent because english is not my first language, but i feel that Disney (and Marvel) are the only studios that are a bran on them self. 

I feel that when people go to see a Pixar, Disney or a marvel movie now they go see it in part because is a Disney or Pixar or a Marvel movie. I don't think any other studios have that advantage now ( i am not counting lucas film "Disney" because i think that the brand with their movies is Star Wars), but i don't think any other Studio is a Brand on itself.

I mean, no other studio right now, Sony or Fox or dreamworks can sell a movie and made people go see a movie because is from their studios like Disney, Pixar or marvel can right now.

So really it was great for Disney to grow this name as brands, no other studio had made this movie, so in my mind is not a monopoly ist briant bussney strategy from Disney.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

At this point I'm legit afraid that other non-Disney studios are going to pull a Fox and throw in the towel. People here know I'm a Disney defender but I sure as hell don't want them to be the only player in the game.

nah, nobody is going to throw in the towel. they'll just find their own niche (which could be considerable like Nolan's original movies and unexpected blockbusters such as Bohemian Rhapsody aka BR) and thrive for there's audience for different kind of movies. You just have to tap into underserved one and run away with it. And by underserved I don't mean just people who aren't getting content that interests them at all. I mean many people who show up for Disney content but also want to see something different. Lots of people who watch SH also watched BR. They also watch Nolan. etc.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

If it wasnt for Antman and the Wasp, Marvel would have a streak of 6 billion dollar movies in the span of 17 months!:ohmygod:

Black Panther :ohmygod:

Infinity War  :ohmygod:

Antman and the Wasp  :whosad:

Captain Marvel  :ohmygod:

Endgame  :ohmygod:

Far From Home  :ohmygod:

Truly unprecedented and a run of film box office that will probably never be topped. So much for comic book movie fatigue.:sparta:

Why the hell are you forgetting other movies like Aquaman, Jurassic W2,

Edited by Davidwested
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 5

12 minutes ago, Davidwested said:

In your condescending tone it actually sound like you don't want IT to top it what the hell is up with that.

It's just funny. Irony. Nothing against it. I hate AMATW and loved the first IT. 

But it may actually happen, i peg IT 2 at like 650M WW so if it underperforms ever so slightly, Wasp could come out on top.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Captain Marvel

Endgame

ALadain

Toy Story 4

Far From Home

The Lion King 

Frozen 2

Star Wars 9...

"what about other films?

That's literally my calender this year, missing Aladdin due to exams + 1-2 Punjabi films.

• Like 2

if there wasn't non-Disney content to choose from, Disney would run itself into the ground pretty quickly. It doesn't matter that Disney movies attract the biggest audience, that audience still has other stuff to see if they want, and they do. It isn't Disney 24-7. had it been Disney 24-7, the mythical fatigue would have been real. 

Just because non-Disney movies don't make that kind of money all the time, it doesn't mean they don't exist and provide respite from the same formula and that benefits Disney too. They know there has to be a respite provided by different studio content for people to be energized to see another Disney movie. So fears that all studios will sell themselves to Disney or just copy their formula are unfounded.