Eric Prime

Halloween Kills | October 15, 2021 | Uni/Blumhouse | Releases day-and-date in theaters and Peacock | 35% on RT

9 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Seeing as he took an active role in developing the storyline for the sequel, I don't think so.

Maybe to try and make it a bit less embarrassing I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

the way this is so bad its coming to VOD. justice served

CT9F.gif

You should calm down. Trolling at this point. 

Horror is doing so well compared to other genres in these pandemic times. We have had 3 fairly mediocre sequels in Escape Room 2, Dont Breathe 2 and Forever Purge and all had decent multipliers from ok openings and all were fairly low budget. Even if this is not reviewed that well it would still have done well for its lowish budget.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

@ViewerAnonis fucking pissed on Twitter. Can someone screenshot his recent tweets on this topic before they're gone?

It's just a bunch of F-bombs at the moment.  Not exactly worth saving, IMO. 

Noting?  Sure. Screenshotting?  Eh.

20 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

At this point I am convinced the remaining day and dates have little to do with Delta or COVID fears given the numbers and more to do with propping up struggling streaming services so they can be viable assets for the "way of the future" that the industry was trying to shift to even pre-COVID.

I just wrote this in the tracking thread - great minds think alike:)...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Horror is doing so well compared to other genres in these pandemic times. We have had 3 fairly mediocre sequels in Escape Room 2, Dont Breathe 2 and Forever Purge and all had decent multipliers from ok openings and all were fairly low budget. Even if this is not reviewed that well it would still have done well for its lowish budget.  

and I forgot Candyman because I am so annoyed right now I cant even think straight. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Jamie Lee Curtis even tweeted a video with her accessing peacock announcing it. 

Disappointed. 

That must have been a decent sized buyout on the back end there. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Sounds like it lol

1 minute ago, Pinacolada said:

Why not go fully theatrical and then go to Peacock/VOD on like October 29 right before Halloween?

That would’ve been a better idea, if they are so determined. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

What a dumbass move lmao.

Why not go fully theatrical and then go to Peacock/VOD on like October 29 right before Halloween?

Either way, I think this should do well OW domestically, but yeah, dumb.

Hopefully this will help the legs of Venom 2 and No Time To Die

And it's unlikely to help their numbers much anyway. Boss Baby did because kids beg their parents and whatnot, but horror fans signing up for Peacock? I don't see it. 

• Like 1

I hate this. Universal have also been super annoying this year with theaters with things like “you play these crappy movies of ours, you can then play these big ones we have coming later”. And then they go and do this with their bigger movie.

not impressed. 

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Apparently, they paid them assuming similar box office to the last...so yeah, they did get paid.  

Universal wasn't gonna make the Disney mistake - they wanted good press for this...

From Deadline...

"The first Halloween from David Gordon Green with Jamie Lee Curtis reprising her role as Laurie Strode opened to $76.2M in October 2018; the third best debut for the month.  The pic wound up being the highest grossing ever in the classic horror series making $159.3M stateside, $255.6M WW. I’ve heard that creative partners on Halloween Kills are being made whole given the shift in distribution strategy, based on a financial outlook that’s similar to the 2018 movie."

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Apparently, they paid them assuming similar box office to the last...so yeah, they did get paid.  

Universal wasn't gonna make the Disney mistake - they wanted good press for this...

From Deadline...

"The first Halloween from David Gordon Green with Jamie Lee Curtis reprising her role as Laurie Strode opened to $76.2M in October 2018; the third best debut for the month.  The pic wound up being the highest grossing ever in the classic horror series making $159.3M stateside, $255.6M WW. I’ve heard that creative partners on Halloween Kills are being made whole given the shift in distribution strategy, based on a financial outlook that’s similar to the 2018 movie."

I can’t find the link but I’m sure Jamie Lee took a smaller than usual salary with a back end deal and ended up making over $10m.

She got $5m for Halloween H20 and $3m for Halloween Resurrection. 

Yeah... this isn't a reaction to reviews:

I was already thinking that it was exceedingly unlikely that this was in reaction to reviews once the JLC promo dropped as there is no way in heaven that would have been negotiated and shot in such a short amount of time.

VA's comment here makes it look like Universal has been trying this with most of its big movies this year, and Halloween Kills is the first one they were able to successfully negotiate a deal with.  Well, aside from Boss Baby 2

As to why?  Trying to prop up Peacock is as good a guess as any, I reckon.  Pissing off a large segment of the fanbase probs isn't a great way to go about it tho.