Eric Duncan

Halloween Kills | October 15, 2021 | Uni/Blumhouse | Releases day-and-date in theaters and Peacock | 35% on RT

So another horror sequel/reboot/prequel/reimaging with mediocre reviews has overperformed expectations.

Down on previous versions but much higher than expectations at the time of release.

Escape Room 2  tick

Dont Breathe 2 tick

Forever Purge tick

Candyman tick

Halloween kills tick

All had good legs. Halloween wont have the 3 times legs that Purge had but is 10 to 15 million over expectations for OW.

People want to see horror in the cinema. If its a sequel to a well known franchise all the better. if reviews are mediocre then it wont hurt BO much at all.

Malignant is the 1 horror that did not perform up to expectations. Original story so no IP and HBO Max. Hard to say what HBO Max did to it but cant help but think its was pretty significant.

So we have an incoming Scream which will likely continue the pattern. Studios must be all over trying to entangle other horror franchises. Friday the 13th jumped through 1 hoop but still a few more to go before that can be made.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

So another horror sequel/reboot/prequel/reimaging with mediocre reviews has overperformed expectations.

Down on previous versions but much higher than expectations at the time of release.

Escape Room 2  tick

Dont Breathe 2 tick

Forever Purge tick

Candyman tick

Halloween kills tick

All had good legs. Halloween wont have the 3 times legs that Purge had but is 10 to 15 million over expectations for OW.

People want to see horror in the cinema. If its a sequel to a well known franchise all the better. if reviews are mediocre then it wont hurt BO much at all.

Malignant is the 1 horror that did not perform up to expectations. Original story so no IP and HBO Max. Hard to say what HBO Max did to it but cant help but think its was pretty significant.

So we have an incoming Scream which will likely continue the pattern. Studios must be all over trying to entangle other horror franchises. Friday the 13th jumped through 1 hoop but still a few more to go before that can be made.

Do you think Scream will move to January 7? The first weekend of January has been kind to horror films in the recent past to kick off the year. Or will it stay on Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend?

2 minutes ago, Noiret Jak said:

22.8M$ for Friday at box office. 
It’s Good ?

Its very good. Means walk ups were good. Maybe over 50M opening weekend now. Holding the multiplier for the last Halloween and showing the Peacock streaming did not have a huge effect on the opening weekend.

Last Halloween

Preview 7.7 Friday 25.4 (3.3 multiplier)  (76.2 OW) 

Preview 4.85    Friday 17.95 (3.7 multiplier) 

Using last multiplier for preview to OW of 9.9 gets us to 48M OW for Halloween Kills. Using the last True Friday to OW of a 3 multiplier gives us 53.85M OW.

22 minutes ago, Val357 said:

Do you think Scream will move to January 7? The first weekend of January has been kind to horror films in the recent past to kick off the year. Or will it stay on Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend?

It could do. 355 and some untitled 20th Century Studios is planned (I have no idea what movie that is). Spidey is Dec 15. Kingsman, Matrix, Sing 2 is Dec 22 (holy smokes thats crowded).

Jan 14 where scream is now has the Guy Ritchie movie, Deep Water, Man from Toronto and Sesame Street so pretty crowded on that weekend.

After that its smaller releases in Licorice, Cyrano, Macbeth etc. Morbius is listed at Jan 28 but god knows about that. If its actually finished and ready to go and is bad (a given) they should still release it and hope for Venom crossover hype with some misleading marketing.

I guess it comes down to leaving it where it is and opening with a bunch of decent openers and staying away from the nuclear blast from Spidey/Matrix dying down. I would move it up the week to Jan 7 if I was making the decision. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

It could do. 355 and some untitled 20th Century Studios is planned (I have no idea what movie that is). Spidey is Dec 15. Kingsman, Matrix, Sing 2 is Dec 22 (holy smokes thats crowded).

Jan 14 where scream is now has the Guy Ritchie movie, Deep Water, Man from Toronto and Sesame Street so pretty crowded on that weekend.

After that its smaller releases in Licorice, Cyrano, Macbeth etc. Morbius is listed at Jan 28 but god knows about that. If its actually finished and ready to go and is bad (a given) they should still release it and hope for Venom crossover hype with some misleading marketing.

I guess it comes down to leaving it where it is and opening with a bunch of decent openers and staying away from the nuclear blast from Spidey/Matrix dying down. I would move it up the week to Jan 7 if I was making the decision. 

Yeah, busy December huh? Sort or reminds me of December 2016 but even bigger!

Rogue One on December 16.

Sing, Passengers and Assassins Creed the following Wednesday. Fences and La La Land expanding on Sunday Christmas Day.

2 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

Escape Room 2  tick

huh? dont breathe 2 and escape room 2 bombed

Edited by Cruel Summer

7 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

huh? dont breathe 2 and escape room 2 bombed

They performed above expectations for what was expected and had decent legs. They did not do as well as the originals which is what I said. They made around 3 times there budget. I don't know what a bomb is to you but that's not what I would classify as one.

19 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

They performed above expectations for what was expected and had decent legs. They did not do as well as the originals which is what I said. They made around 3 times there budget. I don't know what a bomb is to you but that's not what I would classify as one.

they didnt. i remember ER2 opening weekend and every one was predicting around 10m

DB2 did 32m against  DB which did 89m

and ER2 did 25m against ER's 57m

flops.

Edited by Cruel Summer

30 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

they didnt. i remember ER2 opening weekend and every one was predicting around 10m

DB2 did 32m against  DB which did 89m

and ER2 did 25m against ER's 57m

flops.

Escape Room 2 made 52M on a 15M budget (worldwide).

Opened with 8.8M 

DB2 made 47M on a 15M budget (worldwide)

Opened with 10.6M 

Escape Room 2 

The Wrap article

“Escape Room: Tournament of Champions,” Columbia Pictures’ psychological horror sequel, earned $1.2 million in Thursday night previews at the box office from early shows starting at 3 p.m. in 2,382 locations. The film will open on approximately 2,815 screens this weekend.

The second “Escape Room” film is projected by Sony to earn $7-8 million in its opening weekend, which would be a good start on a budget of $15 million.

Box Office Pro

We expect the horror sequel to succumb to some diminished returns, namely due to the glut of horror films released in a short period this summer and somewhat cooler social media metrics. However, it’s still in a financially low-risk position with just a $15 million budget behind it. Sony expects between $7 million and $8 million this weekend. The PG-13 rating will be friendly to teens and young adults, but it won’t boast much of a premium screen footprint due to larger films in the market.

Outperformed those expectations (only by a bit though) 8.8 OW.

Dont Breathe 2

Unfortunately, this sequel enters a much different type of August market that has been replete with horror pics — namely Spiral, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, The Forever Purge, Escape Room: Tournament of Champions, and Old — over the last few months. Marketing has been a late bloomer for this R-rated sequel, though, leading to sluggish pre-sales and awareness until a last second pop in activity on Thursday.

With its target young adult audience also having a potentially more crowd-pleasing (and purchase-friendly PG-13 rating) option to choose from this weekend (Free Guy), Don’t Breathe 2 has an uphill battle ahead of it and likely won’t break out beyond the pandemic openings of the aforementioned genre films to hit screens already this summer.

Don’t Breathe 2
Opening Weekend Range: $6 – 11 million
Domestic Total Range: $16 – $29 million

Ultimately made 10.6 OW and 32.6 total domestic (47 WW) so I would say thats performing above expectations.

NOT FLOPS on a 15M budget.

Mediocre reviews, a sequel, pandemic. Still beat expectations and had decent legs. Horror has performed well and the latest Halloween is just another example of it performing better than expectations.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

Escape Room 2 made 52M on a 15M budget (worldwide).

Opened with 8.8M 

DB2 made 47M on a 15M budget (worldwide)

Opened with 10.6M 

Escape Room 2 

The Wrap article

“Escape Room: Tournament of Champions,” Columbia Pictures’ psychological horror sequel, earned $1.2 million in Thursday night previews at the box office from early shows starting at 3 p.m. in 2,382 locations. The film will open on approximately 2,815 screens this weekend.

The second “Escape Room” film is projected by Sony to earn $7-8 million in its opening weekend, which would be a good start on a budget of $15 million.

Box Office Pro

We expect the horror sequel to succumb to some diminished returns, namely due to the glut of horror films released in a short period this summer and somewhat cooler social media metrics. However, it’s still in a financially low-risk position with just a $15 million budget behind it. Sony expects between $7 million and $8 million this weekend. The PG-13 rating will be friendly to teens and young adults, but it won’t boast much of a premium screen footprint due to larger films in the market.

Outperformed those expectations (only by a bit though) 8.8 OW.

Dont Breathe 2

Unfortunately, this sequel enters a much different type of August market that has been replete with horror pics — namely Spiral, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, The Forever Purge, Escape Room: Tournament of Champions, and Old — over the last few months. Marketing has been a late bloomer for this R-rated sequel, though, leading to sluggish pre-sales and awareness until a last second pop in activity on Thursday.

With its target young adult audience also having a potentially more crowd-pleasing (and purchase-friendly PG-13 rating) option to choose from this weekend (Free Guy), Don’t Breathe 2 has an uphill battle ahead of it and likely won’t break out beyond the pandemic openings of the aforementioned genre films to hit screens already this summer.

Don’t Breathe 2
Opening Weekend Range: $6 – 11 million
Domestic Total Range: $16 – $29 million

Ultimately made 10.6 OW and 32.6 total domestic (47 WW) so I would say thats performing above expectations.

NOT FLOPS on a 15M budget.

Mediocre reviews, a sequel, pandemic. Still beat expectations and had decent legs. Horror has performed well and the latest Halloween is just another example of it performing better than expectations.

i dont care about the budget, im comparing them to the first part.

i guess u think blair witch reboot was a smash hit too because of the low budget :rip:

Edited by Cruel Summer

18 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

There's no number so far that supports the argument that Universal should cancel their plans with David Gordon Green. Halloween Kills overperformed this weekend. Film Twitter needs to stop acting like their opinions trump the general audience's sentiment. Just look at what they did to the DCEU franchise, going from record breaking opening weekends back to back to embarrassements at the box office despite Film Twitter love and critical acclaim.

Doesn't mean that Halloween Ends won't see a massive drop from it, but people should wait for their presumptions to actually be proven true before going after the director with pitchforks.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

There's no number so far that supports the argument that Universal should cancel their plans with David Gordon Green. Halloween Kills overperformed this weekend. Film Twitter needs to stop acting like their opinions trump the general audience's sentiment. Just look at what they did to the DCEU franchise, going from record breaking opening weekends back to back to embarrassements at the box office despite Film Twitter love and critical acclaim.

Doesn't mean that Halloween Ends won't see a massive drop from it, but people should wait for their presumptions to actually be proven true before going after the director with pitchforks.

I am 100% certain Jay gives zero fucks about the box office, and the tweet is only about what he thought of the movie lol.

• Like 2