eddyxx

The Fantastic Four - First Steps | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

18 hours ago, cookieleeann said:

I'm honestly shocked. I never thought Margot would join the MCU. Never thought Driver would either based on his current career trajectory. 

Margot wouldn't do that if she didn't smell smoke near her, probably insurance in case Barbie bombs too.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2

The biggest surprise of the rumored 4 to me is Mescal. Didn't expect him to jump on the MCU bandwagon this soon, least of all as Johnny Storm!!

But if true, he's practically the same age as Holland so we'll be getting Peter/Johnny dynamics to drive the fangirls crazy!?!

2325543-ff_17.png 

D9EwVbhXoAAwTFY?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

I just CANNOT shake the feeling of an impending bomb. Adam Driver surprisingly doesn’t have much box office pull, nor does Margot Robbie. The Fantastic Four IP is damaged as hell, and the Superhero fatigue trend is real no matter what anyone says. Unless this gets rave reviews I think it’ll underperform for sure. I also don’t see this movie interesting younger audiences who don’t know who the F4 are at all. 

I agree, the general audience has been burned by Fantastic Four movies for two decades (even longer if you wanna count the Roger Corman movie), the brand has just not been received well in the eyes the public. And being a part of the MCU is not a guarantee of success anymore too. I'm not writing the film off yet, but I also don't see the big numbers some are already predicting. This is arguably the biggest question mark on the MCU's slate rn. And the producers know they gotta get it right, which is why they've been putting much more attention on it, from getting a high profile cast to more experienced filmmakers on it. And hopefully that'll benefit the film in the end because the Fantastic Four deserve a great movie (Josh Friedman's involvement gives me hope).

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer
  • Like 1

I think Fantastic Four characters are still enormously popular characters. if the movie is well executed and received then it has high potential. if its received like say Eternals then its not going to do well. Let us wait until close to release to see where it goes. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think Fantastic Four characters are still enormously popular characters. if the movie is well executed and received then it has high potential. if its received like say Eternals then its not going to do well. Let us wait until close to release to see where it goes. 

Oh certainly. The recent changes to the creative team are a good sign to the quality of the film, and the overall idea and characters of the FF can make for a great film. They definitely have a good amount of time to get it right too. I just think the prior movies are still gonna keep a bit of reluctance for some of the general public towards this initially (though there is a growing nostalgia for the Chris Evans movies).  

Like you said, we’ve still got some time to see how it turns out. And I’m personally hopeful for the film, mainly cause I love these characters and wanna see them finally done right. 

On 5/30/2023 at 10:29 PM, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Popular with who though? I think they are not what they once were to the non-comic book reading crowd. 

Oh, the non comic reading crowd remembers very well who the FF were; I think it the comic book nerds who think the FF are hasbeens.

What is interesting is that we are not earing rumors about the casting of Ben Grimm. That charecter is going to have work for the film to work. 

BTW I think keeping his Jewish background is important; that is a huge part of the charecter.

FF definitely has to be a good movie. Too many Superhero movies being made and Eternals, Multiverse of Madness, Love & Thunder and Quantumania's receptions have hurt the Marvel brand. Marvel can't just do whatever they want to and coast on good will anymore. They aren't going to get another No Way Home level home run but they need something with a Shang Chi level reception. This film needs an 80+% on Rotten Tomatoes and a Cinemascore in the A range. Big stars aren't going to bring Marvel that. Get big stars, sure but give MCU characters heart again. Guardians 3 reception showed how much audiences are missing the focus on good characters. That's what made the MCU successful in the first place. People fell in love with RDJ's Iron Man.

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

FF definitely has to be a good movie. Too many Superhero movies being made and Eternals, Multiverse of Madness, Love & Thunder and Quantumania's receptions have hurt the Marvel brand. Marvel can't just do whatever they want to and coast on good will anymore. They aren't going to get another No Way Home level home run but they need something with a Shang Chi level reception. This film needs an 80+% on Rotten Tomatoes and a Cinemascore in the A range. Big stars aren't going to bring Marvel that. Get big stars, sure but give MCU characters heart again. Guardians 3 reception showed how much audiences are missing the focus on good characters. That's what made the MCU successful in the first place. People fell in love with RDJ's Iron Man.

Even after mediocre Phase 4, movies like Blade, Deadpool 3, and F4 have the advantage of being the first time in the MCU, and people will be excited to watch these franchises for the first time as MCU movies. If these franchises had been part of the MCU in phase 3 before, they would have been in a lot of trouble in phase 5 and 6.

On 5/29/2023 at 4:01 AM, ddddeeee said:

White Noise being just that and 65 bombing means that Driver knows he needs a hit to still be an auteur plaything. 

Jennifer Lawrence is the mistress of the "One for me, One for them" approach where she did the big franchises to bring in the dough so she could do   the small Indies films for next to nothing.

Now she is worth over a 100 Million dollars, which means she never has to do a paycheck movie again in her life.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

If you keep posting Grace Randolph I will sue you for emotional damages.

There's nothing moving with this movie right now and she was right about Ms. Marvel's power changes on the show so why not? Also it's funny to imagine the deals fell through for Driver, Robbie, Mescal and Diggs coz Feige didn't want to dish out 80M (in all seriousness though, I don't think they have enough combined BO pull to demand that so I don't blame him)

2 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

There's nothing moving with this movie right now and she was right about Ms. Marvel's power changes on the show so why not? Also it's funny to imagine the deals fell through for Driver, Robbie, Mescal and Diggs coz Feige didn't want to dish out 80M (in all seriousness though, I don't think they have enough combined BO pull to demand that so I don't blame him)

Because she's super fucking annoying